Thread: Metaverse

Default Metaverse

It's gonna happen. Might as well document it for history. Hence its own thread. Discuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvufun6xer8&t=187s

Will be as worthless to society as Facebook. There is a reason virtual reality really hasn't taken off. Why don goggles and use controllers when you can just Zoom/video confernce. Also, FB track record will kill it before it starts.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Will be as worthless to society as Facebook. There is a reason virtual reality really hasn't taken off. Why don goggles and use controllers when you can just Zoom/video confernce. Also, FB track record will kill it before it starts.
    Proper first response.

Please let this be true.

One word: reclusivity.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    There is space for VR/augmented reality (AR). There are lots of military applications in use now for everything from training, maintenance, and command post rehearsals.

One cool example I’ve seen is an AR application that lets mechanics look at helicopter engines with an augmented view that highlights parts and components that are being viewed. The mechanic can get information on troubleshooting and repair steps that appear to be floating right next to the component being worked on.

Virtual command post rehearsal apps are cool too. Sort of like Star Wars with commanders in remote locations all virtually brought together around a virtual map board as the concept of operation is played out on the map. We always had to fly commanders and key personnel into the sessions when I was deployed. Flying folks from the US, Iraq, Afghanistan, Europe, all over the place for a few hour session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    There is space for VR/augmented reality (AR). There are lots of military applications in use now for everything from training, maintenance, and command post rehearsals.

One cool example I’ve seen is an AR application that lets mechanics look at helicopter engines with an augmented view that highlights parts and components that are being viewed. The mechanic can get information on troubleshooting and repair steps that appear to be floating right next to the component being worked on.

Virtual command post rehearsal apps are cool too. Sort of like Star Wars with commanders in remote locations all virtually brought together around a virtual map board as the concept of operation is played out on the map. We always had to fly commanders and key personnel into the sessions when I was deployed. Flying folks from the US, Iraq, Afghanistan, Europe, all over the place for a few hour session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don’t disagree with that. I think there are practical applications of things like augmented reality. I just don’t see it beyond gaming for virtual reality. Seems to me that Zuckerberg watched Ready Player One too many times. Honestly, if I’m in a business meeting, I’d rather zoom in than put headset. My gut has the same feeling about this as I did with 3D televisión which was that it is just not going to work on a large scale level .
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Thread was up for two plus days without rating. Uber fixed it. You're welcome.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

I rate this thread 5 Mark Zuckerbergs.

The term Metaverse was coined by Neal Stephenson in his dystopian novel Snow Crash released in 1992. Stephenson says he has no connection with Facebook/Meta otherwise.

The Metaverse, a phrase coined by Stephenson as a successor to the Internet, constitutes Stephenson's vision of how a virtual reality–based Internet might evolve in the near future. Resembling a massively multiplayer online game (MMO), the Metaverse is populated by user-controlled avatars, as well as system daemons. Although there are public-access Metaverse terminals in Reality, using them carries a social stigma among Metaverse denizens, in part because of the poor visual representations of themselves as low-quality avatars. Status in the Metaverse is a function of two things: access to restricted environments such as the Black Sun, an exclusive Metaverse club, and technical acumen, which is often demonstrated by the sophistication of one's avatar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    The term Metaverse was coined by Neal Stephenson in his dystopian novel Snow Crash released in 1992. Stephenson says he has no connection with Facebook/Meta otherwise.

If you haven’t read the book or saw the movie Ready Player One (book is better but Spielberg adaptation is fairly good ) I would recommend it. Definitely influenced by Snow Crash. But think you’d find it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

Interesting.

The word "meme" was first coined by Richard Dawkins, the biologist, back in the late70s-80s in his book "The Selfish Gene" to describe cultural shifts that function almost like a genetic alteration, e.g. development of cooking meat/vegetables allowed entire cultures to absorb more nutrients that went straight to the brain, allowing smaller stomachs, bigger brains.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Interesting.

The word "meme" was first coined by Richard Dawkins, the biologist, back in the late70s-80s in his book "The Selfish Gene" to describe cultural shifts that function almost like a genetic alteration, e.g. development of cooking meat/vegetables allowed entire cultures to absorb more nutrients that went straight to the brain, allowing smaller stomachs, bigger brains.
    Listening to a PBS broadcast about Improv.

The first Improv (it WAS in Chicago) was a social science experiment to get kids, hurt kids from different backgrounds and that spoke different languages, to be able to relate and interact.
    The Son of that woman brought together two actors that had an Improv show, for a while, with some of the skits being pretty well worked out.
    Those two, a Woman and a Man (so sorry I don't remember the names) went on to be movie actors and directors, scriptwriters, but they got other people involved, and those people started the improv clubs, first in Chicago and then moving coast to coast.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Change? We fear change.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...