Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #13/13 Gonzaga Faces Loyola Marymount Thursday in Los Angeles at 7pm

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    CG3Dad hope Chelsey makes it back for the tournament tell her to keep her chin up.
    Thanks. She's so frustrated right now
    But I told her it's better to let her body heal.

Ahhh to be twenty again...LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hopefully you'll be full strength soon.....frankly, I was pleasantly surprised that the Zags got rolling so well in the 2nd......

what do you think about those Truongs?.....amazing aren't they....

and Jill.....I've thought she could play for anybody.....noted she didn't have her mask on....hope that is wise.......

coaching......CLF took a good TO early...by half time she had them strengthened out. Even in the 2nd half LMU came within 6 and she gave them a good talking too......love our coach....

Hey CG3Dad,

Be sure to give Chels our best, we will be keeping her (and you) in our prayers.

As many know, today is national "love your pet day". CG3Dad, If you go to the Gonzaga Wbb facebook page, there is a post with 9 pictures of players and coaches with their furry children. The last picture is of Jill Townsend, and if you consider what you think of JT, it is very appropriate.

Gonzaga Wbb Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ZagWBB

Scroll down until you find the post with their players/coaches and their pets.

ZagDad

#13/13 Zags Run Past Loyola Marymount, 75-47

Jill Townsend leads all scorers with 21 points

Gonzaga 75 - Loyola Marymount 47 Final Box Score Link

LOS ANGELES – The #13/13 Gonzaga women's basketball team used a dominant second half to run past Loyola Marymount 75-47 Thursday evening inside Gersten Pavilion in Los Angeles. The Bulldogs secured the outright West Coast Conference regular-season title with the win.

Gonzaga (26-2, 15-1 WCC) was led by a game-high 21 points from Jill Townsend; Townsend finished 9-of-16 from the floor and added six rebounds and two assists. Jenn Wirth finished with 11 points and seven rebounds while Kayleigh Truong chipped in 10 points with three assists.

The Bulldogs claimed the advantage on the glass 36-24 including 16 offensive rebounds and dominated the paint 30-18. Gonzaga forced 25 turnovers on the Lions that led to 23 points, and the Zags also claimed a 17-6 edge in second-chance points.

"We played three really good quarters today," head coach Lisa Fortier said. "I thought our team worked through a lot of physicality and continued to seek great team shots throughout the game."

A slow first half for the Bulldogs, coupled with a 54.5 percent shooting for LMU, saw the scored tied 30-30 after the first 20 minutes. Loyola Marymount (6-20, 3-11 WCC) limited Gonzaga to 40.7 percent shooting from the floor including 25.0 percent from long range.

Gonzaga regrouped at the break and came out with strong full-court pressure, forcing 10 turnovers on the Lions in the third period while putting together a 17-7 run. Townsend scored 12 of her 21 points in the third stanza, helped Gonzaga to its largest lead of the evening thus far, 47-37.

"We really tightened up in the third quarter as a team, especially that last two-and-a-half minutes," Townsend said. "We didn't like where the score was at halftime. We knew third quarter we had to make a push."

GU continued to roll in the fourth, shooting 56.3 percent from the floor and a perfect 4-of-4 from long range for 28 total points in the final 10 minutes. The Zags forced another seven turnovers on the Lions in the final period, combining for 25 total in the contest, the most forced by the Bulldogs this season. GU continued to roll, claiming the 75-47 victory.

Loyola Marymount was led in scoring by Ciera Ellington and Raychel Stanley with nine points each while Naomi Yim added eight.

Gonzaga continues play on the road at Pepperdine Saturday, Feb. 22 at 2 p.m. inside Firestone Fieldhouse in Malibu, Calif.

Gonzaga Article Link

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Hmmm, that was, um . . . some kind of wonderful. Can't think of quite the right word to describe it. Pathetic? Nope, not strong enough. Abysmal. A little closer, still not there. Comical! That's what it was. To any team ranked in the top 100 we'd be down by 20. By 30 to anyone in the top twenty-five. I'd say it was embarrassing, but we'll see. The second half might be worse. What's the next floor down from embarrassing?
    Come On 8th,

Yes, we played ugly in the first half, missed more lay-ups than we have in the last 3 games combined, had more turnovers than was acceptable and could not find the ocean from the beach from 3 point range.

But really, playing anybody in the Top-100 we be down by 20, Top-25 we be down 30. That would mean that anybody in the Top 100 would have to have scored 50 points in a half and if they were in the Top -25 they would have had to score 60 points in the first half. Many of the teams in the Top 25 don't routinely score 60 points in a game, let alone a half.

If you just want to watch the men's game go ahead, we did (after the women's game) but you missed a second half that was every bit as good as the men's second half. Your loss.

Excessive hyperbole is not very becoming.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    bandwagon fans noted on this thread....first little bump and they're off.....
    That "little bump" was actually a sinkhole. Had to get away or get swallowed up. Suggest you not unnecessarily raise Lisa's blood pressure by asking what she thought of that first half effort. Whatever she said at halftime, though, seems like it was the right thing to say.

That "little bump" was actually a sinkhole. Had to get away or get swallowed up. Suggest you not unnecessarily raise Lisa's blood pressure by asking what she thought of that first half effort. Whatever she said at halftime, though, seems like it was the right thing to say.
    What about Few's blood pressure. His team stunk it up even more than the Lady Zags in the first half.

At Half: Wbb = 30 Mbb= 22
    At Half: LMU = 30 USF= 31

What do you think Few said to the Mbb team? Do you really think it was much different?

2nd Half: Wbb = 45 Mbb= 49
    2nd Half: LMU = 17 Mbb= 23

Seems to me as if both coaches said the appropriate things to the players at halftime and got very similar responses.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Come On 8th,

Yes, we played ugly in the first half, missed more lay-ups than we have in the last 3 games combined, had more turnovers than was acceptable and could not find the ocean from the beach from 3 point range.

But really, playing anybody in the Top-100 we be down by 20, Top-25 we be down 30. That would mean that anybody in the Top 100 would have to have scored 50 points in a half and if they were in the Top -25 they would have had to score 60 points in the first half. Many of the teams in the Top 25 don't routinely score 60 points in a game, let alone a half.

If you just want to watch the men's game go ahead, we did (after the women's game) but you missed a second half that was every bit as good as the men's second half. Your loss.

Excessive hyperbole is not very becoming.

ZagDad
    Oscar Wilde did quite well with it. It's called perspective and it requires a sense of humor to appreciate. Most folks just have it, some struggle to get it, a few take everything literally, & for them I feel sorry. I watched the best half of the men's game, came back to catch the best half of the women's streaming on demand. So, I lost nothing & gained perspective on both GU teams. How 'bout that.

Some words to live by: "Everything human is pathetic. The secret source of humor is not joy, but sorrow." Mark Twain

Without excessive hyperbole, what did we see in the Lady Zags tonight?

1st Half - On offense, the eye test was that the Lady Zags could not make a lay-up and the frontcourt could not finish through contact. The frontcourt frequently heaved the ball against the backboard waiting for a foul call that did not come. Rarely was a true "shot" actually taken near the rim. From 3-point land, Gonzaga could not hit the ocean from the beach. There were more air balls from 3 than made baskets. In reality, Gonzaga shot below average overall at 38.5% but it certainly was not near as bad as the eye test seemed to imply. The stats did verify that our fine, young team really did stink up the place from 3, shooting a very poor 18.2%. The Lady Zags also had 9 first half turnovers which were slightly higher than normal. In the end, we did score 30 points in the half, which tied our 2nd highest score at half since KC went down. Defensively, the vaunted Zag defense went AWOL particularly in the first quarter. Time after time, the front court, refused to cover anybody on the wings, leading to open 3 point shots and their were numerous missed switches leading to open lay-ups by the Lions. For the half, we allowed LMU to shoot 54.5% overall and 37.5% from 3, both considerably higher shooting percentages than the Zags normally permit.

So, after the first half, the Lady Zags shot poorly, had more turnovers than normal and played questionable defense, yet we were tied at half. Not where we wanted to be, but at least we were not behind and could be hopeful (at least some of us), that CLF would rally the team.

2nd Half - Offensively, for the 2nd half the Lady Zags shot 46.2% overall and 66.7% from 3. Gonzaga improved their ball handling only having a total of 6 turnovers in the 2nd half. Much better shooting and more turnovers led to the Zags scoring 45 points in the 2nd half. The 45 points in a half was the most points in a half scored by this year's lady zags team since the game against Dayton, in the Gulg Coast Classic, where we scored 51 points in a half. Defensively, the Lady Zags turned up the pressure in the 2nd half with the expected results. LMU's 2nd half overall shooting percentage was only 22.7% and their 3 point shooting percentage dropped to 25%. Gonzaga only permitted LMU to take a total of 4 shots from 3 point range in the 2nd half. The Lady Zags generated 17 LMU turnovers in the second half. After a very poor 1st quarter when Gonzaga allows LMU to score 21 points, The Lady Zags only allowed LMU to score 26 points in the last 3 quarters. Very, very good defense after the first quarter.

So what did the offense do today, that they did not do last week?

First, offensively shot better, made better shot selections, and took the wide open shot when it was available. Did not have a single, shot clock violation, the ball, generally speaking, moved around the key much better. While the balls did not fall in the first half, it was just a matter of time before they fell. Still have to work with the frontcourt finishing through contact and with the entire team on making lay-ups. Way too many missed bunnies.

Secondly, instead of putting up 12 or 13 3-point shots, the Zags put up 20 today and made 8 which is a heckuva lot more than the 1 and 2 made threes that the team made last week. Shooters have to shoot to get out of their funk and today, they got out of their shell.

The offensive looked much more seamless today and the defense, after a bad first quarter, was relentless. Hopefully this puts us back on track for the WCC tournament and the NCAAs. After tonight, feeling better about our chances of hosting.

A few call outs: JL had 8 steals, great, relentless defense. JT's all-around game. JT had 21 pts on 9-16 shooting including 2-4 from 3, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals. Player of the game for sure. The Truong's are beginning to show some of their potential. Today they had a combined 22 points, while shooting 7-16 overall including 5-10 from 3, 5 rebounds, 7 assists and 4 steals. The Truongs need to value the ball a little bit better, but if CLF will trust them, they and the Lady Zags will be better than fine.

Well done ladies, It is off to Malibu.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Oscar Wilde did quite well with it. It's called perspective and it requires a sense of humor to appreciate. Most folks just have it, some struggle to get it, a few take everything literally, & for them I feel sorry.
    Thanks for the education.

Maybe I just find that not only bashing the team, but insisting on bashing the team to excessive heights on their own message board is not funny.

But then, maybe as you say, I just don't get it.

ZagDad

so I have this new computer and I'm not computer savvy as it is so if someone could help me.....there is a terrific interview, 2 parts, by Katie Campbell with a video showing a close up of the "incident" ....Katie is pretty insightful.....maybe everyone has seen it already, but if someone can link it, others would enjoy it too...its on SWX....it has shown on SWX on tv as well....looks like it was filmed on the 19th.

so I have this new computer and I'm not computer savvy as it is so if someone could help me.....there is a terrific interview, 2 parts, by Katie Campbell with a video showing a close up of the "incident" ....Katie is pretty insightful.....maybe everyone has seen it already, but if someone can link it, others would enjoy it too...its on SWX....it has shown on SWX on tv as well....looks like it was filmed on the 19th.
    Sure, thanks for the heads up:

Katie Campbell - Part 1: https://www.swxrightnow.com/video/20...tory-part-one/

Katie Campbell - Part 2: https://www.swxrightnow.com/video/20...tory-part-two/

ZagDad

From the Slipper Still Fits:

Huge Second Half Gives Gonzaga the Win Over LMU, 75-47
    Jill Townsend had a big game.
    By Peter Woodburn@wernies
    Feb 21, 2020, 12:01am EST

The final score isn’t very indicative of how much of the game felt, but the Gonzaga Bulldogs, led by a big game from Jill Townsend, pushed past the Loyola Marymount Lions, 75-47.

That score suggests the Zags were in control for much of the game, and the petal to the metal didn’t come until midway through the third quarter. The Lions actually led the Zags after 10 minutes by four and went into halftime tied at 30-30.

For Gonzaga, much of that stemmed from poor shooting. Early on, the wide open looks from three were not hitting. The shots around the hoop were not falling. But, credit due to LMU, the Lions were working hard, hustling for every ball, and doing whatever they could on the defensive end to make life hell.

Unfortunately, for LMU, it was really only a matter of time before things started to change. Townsend started to heat up as the game progressed, and the Gonzaga defense put the boot on the Lions’ offensive wheels, ending up forcing a total of 25 turnovers. Gonzaga opened the third quarter on a 10-2 run, with eight of those points coming from Townsend.

At the same time, the rest of the Gonzaga offense slowly started to heat up. The Truong sisters each scored in double figures, and Jenn Wirth added 11 points. As a team, the Zags had 18 assists off of 28 field goals. Gonzaga went into the final 10 minutes of play with a comfortable 10 point lead, never looking back.

The Zags will next play the Pepperdine Waves on the road on Saturday.
    Article Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...-jill-townsend

ZagDad

thx.....

now I'm going to tell people a true story.....I got on the elevator the first year KC was here....there was her father and I didn't know him from adam......got to talking and he said his dtr was a player , KC....then he mentioned something about a torn ACL.....of course my first thought....NOT OUR NEW PLAYER....but then he indicated that it was his.....I quietly said oh thank God it wasn't Katie.......I swear that is how the conversation went.......looking back, it was quite ironic....

Hows that mens game going?.......scored 22 points first half and down 9.........lol.....
    Unclear why you would post this? Gloating about the men not playing well? I, like many, am a fan of both teams and always root for both. No joy in one or the other doing poorly. We had both games on side by side tvs (HDMI's women's to tv). Both games played out similarly and I'm happy they both won hard fought games.

Congratulations to GU WBB... Conference Champions!

Now let’s keep the “MO” and finish conference by winning the last two games.

As for the game last night... I think the team is still trying to find itself. And slowly it’s getting there.
    As in every game, their opponents will be coming after them... how the ladies react is still a question with the change in the lineup.

As for the bench. We have said that they are young and need time. Well the second half showed some light. I don’t know if CLF gave them the green light or what but if they were open and it was their shoot, they took it rather that look for the next pass. Hence 31 points in the fourth quarter... with a lot of the bench on the floor. Yes they ran the legs out from under an under manned LMU... but thats part of the game.

With Pepperdine... another WCC team wanting to make their season by taking out the conference champions.
    Time to bring the “A” game. Time for the gamers to lead the way.

Go Zags!!

Here is an interesting stat from the AP write-up on yesterday's game posted on ESPNW.

LMU shot 23% in the second half, were outrebounded 36-14 and had 25 turnovers that led to 23 Gonzaga points. The 17 points in the second half mark the fourth time this season the Zags have held a team below 20 in a half.
    JMHO but holding an opponent to below 20 points in a half, is a sign of some pretty good defense.

Article Link: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...meId=401174132

ZagDad

Thanks ZD for posting the KC interview...

Very telling of what it takes to be a college athlete and the support that is needed. As for KC, as driven as she is, family support was there for her as I would believe be the case for most of the others.

It is good to see she will have a roll with the team. The team needs her... she needs them. Another step in her life. As a future nurse, helping others is part of her DNA.

She is a Zag...

Go Zags!!

In listening to an interview with CLF prior to heading down to LA, she indicated that, despite the subs getting plenty of playing time early in the year, losing KC set the team back to where they were in early November.

According to CLF, it is (was) going to take time for the team to come together on both sides of the ball. It is not just a matter of replacing KC with another player (K-11, K-14, LF or other) it involves the remaking of the entire team. It may involve the roles of the 4 remaining starters changing to some degree. Some offensive and defensive sets may have to be adjusted to best accommodate the availability of the current players. All of this in addition, to the replacement of KC in the starting line-up which takes time for the team to adjust.

The defense is much closer to what it was before the injury than the offense, yet we still have a ways to go. The defense, why being stellar at times, still has the occasional bad stretch(es) which can and has stretched out to as long as a full quarter. The ladies need to come out of the locker room ready to play (start of the game and after halftime) and not have to work their way into the game.

The offense, with the exception of the game against Pacific, has looked to have been lost, herky-jerky, disjointed, and any other number of adjectives since KC went down and the first half yesterday did nothing to dispel these descriptions. After what I assume was a rousing thrashing by CLF, her staff and the team leaders, the Lady Zags came out after halftime and executed brilliantly, scoring more points in a half than they have since the Dayton game in the Gulf Coast Classic, almost 3 months ago. One half does not mean the offense is now fixed, but the path back to offensive dominance has become much clearer. We have a couple of more games for the Zag Wbb to learn how to maintain this level of offense over the entire game and also how to make a lay-up and the frontcourt to finish through contact.

The skies are not completely sunny, the rainbows are not yet visible and the unicorns have not come down from the mountains, yet. But the clouds are starting to part and the sun is starting to peak through the clouds. This is not the same team as it was with KC, but it can be a team that creates its own problems for the opposition. If the team continues to improve, the Lady Zags will once again be a team to be feared.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

not gloating....just that you complained about the ladies when they at least had scored 30 at halftime and had tied the score....it must have been horrible to go watch the men and find out they had only scored 22 the first half and were behind by 9... thankfully, both teams righted their ships for good wins....

Wasn't me complaining. I try to keep it positive.

also in that pre LMU interview, Jill was saying that there was no replacing Katie.....but everyone has to be called on to do more on both offense and defense, and she pointed out that even if Katie wasn't scoring , she always drew the defense......

just watched the game again......except for those missed bunnies, it really wasn't so bad....the 2nd half gave me hope.....Jessie was just on fire with her defense, and Jill was outstanding again both offensively and defensively......I thought Ava showed a lot in this game....I do know she drilled both of her free throws....she doesn't look as bewildered......everyone knows how I feel about the Truongs.......

so hope is my word of the day.....I'm hopeful that the team has survived hitting the iceberg and its full steam ahead.......

Katie wasn't in Cali....do we know if she has had her surgery?..hopeful that sweet kid gets well on her way to being healed....

and picked up our vegas tickets.....we keep regressing with our seat placement....worse and worse every single year....luckily we're not against sitting where we don't belong....lol