Thread: Looking ahead at this week (Feb 17-Feb 22-2020).

Default Looking ahead at this week (Feb 17-Feb 22-2020).

THE most important week of the season. And I AM pumped, and I'm sure almost all of ZagNation is too. USF at home on Thursday and @ BYU Saturday. USF gave us all the trouble we could handle when we played them at their place. They are a worthy opponent for sure. The Zags certainly will not be overlooking them. And then Saturday we play what is the most important game of the year so far. And maybe the toughest. But who knows with this team. Look what we did at St Mary's. Playing before 15,000 screaming maniacs will not be easy, and they will be all over the refs all night long.

I'm glad the Zags are playing at home Thursday. They've been playing on the Road a lot lately. They need this is a big way, and I believe they will take advantage of it and play really well. And then they will get ready for the biggest game of the year, up to this point.I'm glad they play USF Thursday. Having to wait all the way to Friday would be kind of tough. AND I have always liked USF, so I look forward to the rematch. It's going to be a REALLY FUN WEEK. Ya!!!

Come on and share your thoughts and feelings about these games this week. I'd love to hear from you all.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

USF Game Preview from The Slipper Still Fits: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/gon...wcc-basketball

The Dons remain one of the worst teams in the country in opponent’s three point-field goal percentage. The Zags shot 80% from the arc during the first contest between the teams, but that was only on 4-5 shooting. USF played aggressive perimeter defense, but open looks will be available if the Zags can make the extra pass and avoid the turnovers that plagued them at War Memorial Gymnasium.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    THE most important week of the season. And I AM pumped, and I'm sure almost all of ZagNation is too. USF at home on Thursday and @ BYU Saturday. USF gave us all the trouble we could handle when we played them at their place. They are a worthy opponent for sure. The Zags certainly will not be overlooking them. And then Saturday we play what is the most important game of the year so far. And maybe the toughest. But who knows with this team. Look what we did at St Mary's. Playing before 15,000 screaming maniacs will not be easy, and they will be all over the refs all night long.
    Will there be 4,000 Zag fans sitting next to the "15,000 screaming maniacs"? Last I checked, the Marriott center held about 19,000 fans.

I agree, THIS will be a huge week for the Zags. I can't wait to see whether Tillie plays tomorrow and how he looks. Not looking past San Francisco but I doubt they will give us as much trouble as they did in SF. Hoping the team stays focused and uses the game Thursday to practice 40 minutes of focus and energy.

BYU with Childs is a different team than we saw in Spokane. Nationally ranked, on their home court.... it's gonna be a BATTLE.

GO ZAGS!

I was just guessing when I said 1500. I doubt we'll have 4,000 Zag fans. hahahaha I've had the flu so I didn't really bother to check the facts. Sorry.

I do know though that it will be crazy in their and it'll be an experience that all these guys will not forget. They will be tested for sure. This is the Best BYU team we've played in years. It's going to be as big of a challenge, if not more, than playing at ARIZONA and the UW. This is the kind of test that our boys have been waiting for.

Yes! San Francisco is another test, and one they are ready for. It's going to be fun.

Go Zags!!!

Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    · 5h
    Jimmy Dykes and Fran Fraschilla are doing an analyst-only broadcast for Gonzaga-USF on Thursday. Dave Flemming and Sean Farnham are calling Gonzaga-BYU on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    · 5h
    Jimmy Dykes and Fran Fraschilla are doing an analyst-only broadcast for Gonzaga-USF on Thursday. Dave Flemming and Sean Farnham are calling Gonzaga-BYU on Saturday.
    Not sure why ESPN is doing this analyst-only nonsense, but I will be inebriated for that game, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Going to stay sober for the Provo game; Farnham is one of ESPN's best guys, so I need a clear head to appreciate his awesome-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Not sure why ESPN is doing this analyst-only nonsense, but I will be inebriated for that game, so I guess it doesn't really matter ....
    There was a thread about the analyst-only topic
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...PN2-game-v-USF

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I do believe that the USF game could be a trap game.

USF is capable of beating us if they're hitting 3s - they weren't when we played them last time. GZ says Timmie is available, that's good.

But it would be human nature to overlook "somewhat" USF and know that Saturday is just about the "TEST" left before conference tournament.

Saturday will decide whether we're one in the West or whether we're one in east, or two in West/wherever.

I think there's a chance we still get a one seed even with a loss at BYU. But we give up the LA home away from home and travel to MSG to Duke's home away from home?

If Tillie is full speed, and the team plays like it did against SMC, we will beat BYU - but it will take that kind of effort.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

This week’s lineup reminds me of the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

First game against a feisty club (USF KenPom 88) that could give us trouble if we’re not focused. i.e. UNC Greensboro.
    Second game against a pretty good team (BYU KenPom 19) that absolutely could beat us if we don’t play well.

This is a great test.

Jim Meehan:

"Key Matchup" feature: Charles Minlend: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...rles-minlend-/

Game Preview: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...m-san-francis/

Twelve games in, Gonzaga’s 83-79 win over San Francisco earlier this month remains the Zags’ toughest West Coast Conference contest thus far.

The Dons stayed the closest, led for the longest amount of time and led with just under 2 minutes remaining. Put it this way: San Francisco held the lead for nearly 27 minutes. The Zags have trailed for a grand total of 32 minutes in their 11 other conference games.

Gonzaga had its fewest assists (eight) of the season and 15 turnovers tied for its third most. The Zags average 16.6 assists and 11.6 turnovers per WCC game.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    The Dons are good, but really don't have the firepower to defeat the Zags, especially at home. Honestly, I am NOT anticipating a whole lot of trouble tonight. I'd love to see Tillie play.

Go Zags!!!

Agree with you. We need Tillie, to make a significant run in the Tourney. Let's hope he looks good and stays good till the end. No more injuries.

I was just thinking that this could end up to be a GREAT WEEK. If we win both games and Kansas beats Baylor maybe we'll be back at #1. Wow!! Awesome!. Yes. Could be a great week.

Go Zags!!!

I was just thinking that this could end up to be a GREAT WEEK. If we win both games and Kansas beats Baylor maybe we'll be back at #1. Wow!! Awesome!. Yes. Could be a great week.

Go Zags!!!
    Not to pop the excitement bubble but if Kansas wins they will jump us
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I'd prefer to be ranked #2 nationally to being #1, but keep the committee's choice as the #1 seed in the west.

It was interesting to just hear Adam Morrison on the broadcast describe how he would prefer Gonzaga does NOT play in Spokane in the tournament, mentioning all the extra distraction, pressure, and stress (friends and neighbors coming out of the woodwork for ticket requests, etc).

Default WELL HERE WE ARE

Gonzaga vs Bringham Young. Ya!!! The game is finally here, and we've been waiting for it every since Childs has returned to the BYU linelup. BYU now has a 7 game winning steak since he's returned. They did lose to USF in the first game that he returned and he did score 19 points though. The game will be played in Provo Utah, home field advantage to them.

We know that they have a very good offensive team, but the only problem for them is Gonzaga has a better offensive team. Gonzaga is the #1 team on offense, and although BYU's #5 ranking is absolutely great, #1 is better than #5. We score more points than they do by 8 ppg. (88-80). They are 5th nationally in assists and we are 7th (not much different). They are #1 is 3 point field goal percentage, but the Zags are #5. That's very good for Gonzaga imo. Gonzaga's worse offensive statistic is free throw shooting where we're at 265th nationally, but BYU is only ranked 193rd, and in our first game with them we shot 78% from the line and they shot 50%. There are games where Gonzaga can shoot quite well from the free throw line and they're are mostly in the BIG GAMES.

But, imo, here is the REAL difference. DEFENSE. And I know that some analysts feel Gonzaga is not as good defensively this year but THEY ARE WRONG in my opinion. The last time we played we shut down their 3 point shooters (30% making only 6), and Gonzaga shot 43% from behind the arc making 43% of their shots. Even if we look at Kenpom data for Defensive efficiency BYU is only ranked 83 nationally and the Zags are now at 23rd and rising. The Zags were ranked 55th a month ago which shows they've really been working on their D. The Zags beat BYU in every defensive statistics (steals, blocks and rebounds). BYU is ranked 252nd nationally in steals, 293rd in rebounds and 312th in blocked shots. On the other hand Gonzaga is ranked 11th in rebounds, 49th in steals and 80th in Blocked shots. A huge difference. This game will be won by defense, which most championship games are.

Individually, they have Childs in the low post. We have Petrusev. I give a slight edge to Childs. However at the 4 spot we have Tillie who is clearly way way better than Lee. Not even close. AT the 3 they have ? and we have Kispert. I'd say it's even. AT the 2 they have Haws and we have Ayayi, and that clearly goes to BYU. I think the keys to the game are the point guard position where I will go with Woolridge, and the bench where Gonzaga is clearly better. BYU is really good, but unfortunately Gonzaga is better.

Go Zags!!!

Gonzaga vs Bringham Young. Ya!!! The game is finally here, and we've been waiting for it every since Childs has returned to the BYU linelup. BYU now has a 7 game winning steak since he's returned. They did lose to USF in the first game that he returned and he did score 19 points though. The game will be played in Provo Utah, home field advantage to them.

We know that they have a very good offensive team, but the only problem for them is Gonzaga has a better offensive team. Gonzaga is the #1 team on offense, and although BYU's #5 ranking is absolutely great, #1 is better than #5. We score more points than they do by 8 ppg. (88-80). They are 5th nationally in assists and we are 7th (not much different). They are #1 is 3 point field goal percentage, but the Zags are #5. That's very good for Gonzaga imo. Gonzaga's worse offensive statistic is free throw shooting where we're at 265th nationally, but BYU is only ranked 193rd, and in our first game with them we shot 78% from the line and they shot 50%. There are games where Gonzaga can shoot quite well from the free throw line and they're are mostly in the BIG GAMES.

But, imo, here is the REAL difference. DEFENSE. And I know that some analysts feel Gonzaga is not as good defensively this year but THEY ARE WRONG in my opinion. The last time we played we shut down their 3 point shooters (30% making only 6), and Gonzaga shot 43% from behind the arc making 43% of their shots. Even if we look at Kenpom data for Defensive efficiency BYU is only ranked 83 nationally and the Zags are now at 23rd and rising. The Zags were ranked 55th a month ago which shows they've really been working on their D. The Zags beat BYU in every defensive statistics (steals, blocks and rebounds). BYU is ranked 252nd nationally in steals, 293rd in rebounds and 312th in blocked shots. On the other hand Gonzaga is ranked 11th in rebounds, 49th in steals and 80th in Blocked shots. A huge difference. This game will be won by defense, which most championship games are.

Individually, they have Childs in the low post. We have Petrusev. I give a slight edge to Childs. However at the 4 spot we have Tillie who is clearly way way better than Lee. Not even close. AT the 3 they have ? and we have Kispert. I'd say it's even. AT the 2 they have Haws and we have Ayayi, and that clearly goes to BYU. I think the keys to the game are the point guard position where I will go with Woolridge, and the bench where Gonzaga is clearly better. BYU is really good, but unfortunately Gonzaga is better.

Go Zags!!!
    Can Petro guard Childs? We struggle against talented bigs. Child's kickouts to shooters will be key. SF exposed some weakness or ours to the dribble drive so expect to see that from BYU as well.

Petro can not guard Childs by himself. However, I don't think Childs can guard Petrusev either. And if fact I feel Childs is going to get into foul trouble and sit out a lot the first half. I am not sure what Gonzaga's D will be regarding Childs. Will we double him and risk giving up 3 pointers? I feel the answer is no. However, Gonzaga's coaches have played Childs many times and so will have a good idea on how to guard him. Personally, I would give Childs 24 points and hold their 3 point shooters down like we did last time. 3 points is more than two.

Go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Jake Toolson. 15 points, five rebounds, four assists per game. 46% from three. Kid's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Not to pop the excitement bubble but if Kansas wins they will jump us
    If Kansas loses and Gonzaga loses, Kansas & SDSU will leapfrog GU

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Jake Toolson. 15 points, five rebounds, four assists per game. 46% from three. Kid's pretty good.
    Toolson's really good. Probably their best player. He's definitely dangerous and he hurt Gonzaga the last time we played him. I probably should have given him the nod over Kispert, but in terms of what they do for the team I like what Killian does for us just as much as what Toolson does for BYU. KIspert has his role for sure, and it's an important one.

I know Toolson's gettin ready. And I know Killian is too. I would like to be around Killian Tillie right now and spend the next 26 hours with him. I bet he's quite a character, and the kind of guy who can keep the team loose on the Road. Most fans don't know that one reason that it's so hard to win on the Road is because it's so hard to live in those hotel/motel rooms for a couple, or even a few, days. I know Killian makes it fun. I can just see him. No wonder we're doing so well on the Road. Yes I know Toolson and BYU really want this win. They want to flood the floor after the game with fanatic students lifting up all the players. But Killian Tillie is not going to let that happen. Can one player make a difference. Yes. A GUY like Tillie surely can. And a guy like Admon Gilder, or Ayayi. or (and maybe especially) a guy like Woolridge. These Zags are so good. They did not have their best games last night. That's a fact. And this fact is going to help them get ready for tomorrow. There is absolutely a reason why this team plays so well on the Road. It's because of who these guys are. They just will NOT let it happen. I am soooo pumped up for tomorrows game.

Go Zags!!!

Less than 8 hours before the game. It's been a real good week. I'm sure we've all really been looking forward to the game tonight. The Zags have played some real good basketball this year, and have won all their conference games so far. BUT this is the one we now need to win. Our conference championship is not in danger, in my opinion. It's just that we haven't had a really hard game like this one since Arizona. Speaking of Arizona that's what this game reminds me of. Arizona is such a difficult place to win in, and our boys played so well there. That's the first time I saw that this team could really be good. They certainly proved me right. We've had a few close games lately, which, Imo, has been very good for the Zags. Every team needs to be tested, and tonight is certainly going to be a test. It really is time that we play a ranked team. I know we will be ready. I love this team.

Go Zags!!!

From the Spokesman-Review: Baylor Loss Opens Debate on who's Number 1

Story Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...t-be-gonzaga-/

Gonzaga faces one of its toughest challenges of the season against No. 23 BYU in Provo. A victory would give the Zags their fourth win of the season over an opponent ranked at the time.

ESPN’s Dick Vitale on Twitter congratulated Kansas on a major road win, but noted that he would only vote the Jayhawks No. 1 if the Zags lost to BYU.