Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filip WCC POW - 2. 17. 20

Default Filip WCC POW - 2. 17. 20

It's his third POW honor. . .

SAN BRUNO, Calif. – Gonzaga's Filip Petrusev was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Week the league office announced Monday.

Petrusev recorded his eighth double-double of the season in the No. 2/2 Zags' (26-1, 12-0 West Coast Conference) 18th straight win Saturday at Pepperdine. He scored 27 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in Gonzaga's 39th consecutive conference regular season win and 39th WCC road win in-a-row. The sophomore added three assists, a steal and a block in 35 minutes.

He made nine of his 20 shots from the field, and currently tops the West Coast Conference shooting 56.8 percent from the field. Petrusev also made 9-of-13 from the free-throw line. He matched his career-high for most points in a half, with 20 in the first half, the most in the first half in his career. The Belgrade, Serbia, native is second in the conference averaging 8.04 rebounds per game, third with 17.56 points per game, and fifth in blocks per game (0.93).

It is the third WCC weekly honor of the season for Petrusev and his second in three weeks. He is the third Bulldog to receive the honor this season, and it is the fifth time a GU player was named the conference player of the week.

Gonzaga welcomes San Francisco (17-10, 6-6 WCC) Thursday, before visiting No. 23 BYU (21-7, 10-3) Saturday.

Also Nominated: Dan Fotu, Saint Mary's; Braun Hartfield, San Diego; TJ Haws, BYU; Jimbo Lull, San Francisco; Colbey Ross, Pepperdine; Eli Scott, LMU; Jahlil Tripp, Pacific

2019-20 #WCCHOOPS Men's Basketball Player of the Week

February 17 – Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga
    February 10 – Jahlil Tripp, Pacific
    February 3 – Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga

January 27 – Kameron Edwards, Pepperdine
    January 20 – Corey Kispert, Gonzaga
    January 13 – Charles Minlend, San Francisco
    January 6 – Jahlil Tripp, Pacific

December 31 – Ryan Woolridge, Gonzaga
    December 23 – Colbey Ross, Pepperdine
    December 16 – Jordan Ford, Saint Mary's
    December 9 – Eli Scott, LMU
    December 2 – TJ Haws, BYU

November 25 – Isaiah White, Portland
    November 18 – Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga
    November 11 – Jordan Ford, Saint Mary's
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-19-2020 at 07:04 AM.

This one surprised me a bit in that he only played 1 game, though it was a pretty good one.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

A little surprised that Jordan Ford has only won it once.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

I was surprised a BYU player didn't get it after they went 2 - 0.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    A little surprised that Jordan Ford has only won it once.
    Would you be surprised to learn that Jordan Ford actually won it twice? hahaha What amazes me is that Gonzaga has 3 different players who have won this honor, and one of them isn't Killian Tillie. Wow!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    It's his third POW honor. . .

SAN BRUNO, Calif. – Gonzaga's Filip Petrusev was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Week the league office announced Monday.

Petrusev recorded his eighth double-double of the season in the No. 2/2 Zags' (26-1, 12-0 West Coast Conference) 18th straight win Saturday at Pepperdine. He scored 27 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in Gonzaga's 39th consecutive conference regular season win and 39th WCC road win in-a-row. The sophomore added three assists, a steal and a block in 35 minutes.

He made nine of his 20 shots from the field, and currently tops the West Coast Conference shooting 56.8 percent from the field. Petrusev also made 9-of-13 from the free-throw line. He matched his career-high for most points in a half, with 20 in the first half, the most in the first half in his career. The Belgrade, Serbia, native is second in the conference averaging 8.04 rebounds per game, third with 17.56 points per game, and fifth in blocks per game (0.93).

It is the third WCC weekly honor of the season for Petrusev and his second in three weeks. He is the third Bulldog to receive the honor this season, and it is the fifth time a GU player was named the conference player of the week.

Gonzaga welcomes San Francisco (17-10, 6-6 WCC) Thursday, before visiting No. 23 BYU (21-7, 10-3) Saturday.

Also Nominated: Dan Fotu, Saint Mary's; Braun Hartfield, San Diego; TJ Haws, BYU; Jimbo Lull, San Francisco; Colbey Ross, Pepperdine; Eli Scott, LMU; Jahlil Tripp, Pacific

2019-20 #WCCHOOPS Men's Basketball Player of the Week
    February 17 – Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga
    February 10 – Jahlil Tripp, Pacific
    February 3 – Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga
    January 27 – Kameron Edwards, Pepperdine
    January 20 – Corey Kispert, Gonzaga
    January 13 – Charles Minlend, San Francisco
    January 6 – Jahlil Tripp, Pacific
    December 31 – Ryan Woolridge, Gonzaga
    December 23 – Colbey Ross, Pepperdine
    December 16 – Jordan Ford, Saint Mary's
    December 9 – Eli Scott, LMU
    December 2 – TJ Haws, BYU
    November 25 – Isaiah White, Portland
    November 18 – Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga
    November 11 – Jordan Ford, Saint Mary's
    Reno, since you are the resident expert...is it possible for Filip to win POY or is it going to Jordan Ford or Tyler Haws? What's your guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Reno, since you are the resident expert...is it possible for Filip to win POY or is it going to Jordan Ford or Tyler Haws? What's your guess?
    I'm certain that Filip will win POY. He's the leading scorer and rebounder for the putative WCC champion. To award it to anyone else would be a travesty IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    No expert here. . .just another hoops addict with too much time on my hands. . .

My best guesses are scenario driven :

A. If GU sweeps the conference, Filip will get the POY award.

B. If GU wins outright without sweeping, then it's going to be a coin flip between Filip and the best player on the 2nd place squad

C. If GU ties for first, I think it could be any of the three you mention.

In the 2008-09 season, Gonzaga ran the WCC table, 14-0, with a team that featured Heytvelt, Bouldin, Daye, Pargo, Gray, and Downs.
    The league POY that year was John Bryant, of Santa Clara. SCU finished 7 - 7 in conference. I would call that the "best player on a team other than Gonzaga" scenario, though Bryant clearly earned/deserved the recognition. He was a pretty fair big man in his era: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-bryant-1.html

I think Mark Few deserves WCC COY but I think Pacific's Stoudamire would get the nod if the vote were held today.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-19-2020 at 07:03 AM.

It’s off topic, but that was a really good list of GU players. I wonder what Coach Few would do with that 2008-09 team today... might need a bit more bulk down low, but that was a talented group. I just took a fun trip down memory lane online and they lost some big games that maybe he wins now. That was the Zag team that lost to the amazing UNC team. That was also the year of Goodson’s coast-to-coast drive with time winding down the first weekend against W Kentucky.

do POW winners get a fancy plaque or something?
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

No expert here. . .just another hoops addict with too much time on my hands. . .

In the 2008-09 season, Gonzaga ran the WCC table, 14-0, with a team that featured Heytvelt, Bouldin, Daye, Pargo, Gray, and Downs.
    The league POY that year was John Bryant, of Santa Clara. SCU finished 7 - 7 in conference. I would call that the "best player on a team other than Gonzaga" scenario, though Bryant clearly earned/deserved the recognition. He was a pretty fair big man in his era: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-bryant-1.html
    Clearly off topic, but: Bryant had an exceptional 08-09 season averaging a double/double (18.1 and 14.2). Again a case of so much balance on a deep GU team, that no one player was relied upon to carry the load. I see Bryant still plays pro ball for a living, currently in Germany. Here's something I saw in Wikipedia that I did not know:
    "Bryant showed a new dedication to conditioning the offseason before his senior campaign, but his hard work was nearly derailed as he was the victim of a stabbing attack just prior to the start of the 2008–09 season.[3] However, he made a full recovery and had an outstanding senior year.'
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

From Wiki:

Four schools in the West Coast Conference have dominated the total awards distribution. Before 2000, Pepperdine, San Francisco and Santa Clara had earned the bulk of the awards. Since then, Gonzaga has claimed a near-monopoly on it. In the 16 seasons from 2000–01 to the present, coinciding with the Bulldogs' rise to national prominence, Gonzaga players have won the award outright 12 times and shared the award once. Gonzaga now claims the most winners with 15, while each of the three other schools are tied for the second most with 11 winners apiece. The next closest school, Saint Mary's, has eight. One current member has yet to have a winner (Portland).

A complete list of winners is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_C...er_of_the_Year

The league POY that year was John Bryant, of Santa Clara.
    GU's Pargo won the WCC POY the following season (2009-10). CORRECTION: Pargo actually was named POY in 07-08 (NOT 09-10). Thx to bdmiller7 for pointing out my mistake!
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 02-17-2020 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Correct year Pargo won POY
    —Kurt Vonnegut

My best guesses are scenario driven :

A. If GU sweeps the conference, Filip will get the POY award.

B. If GU wins outright without sweeping, then it's going to be a coin flip between Filip and the best player on the 2nd place squad

C. If GU ties for first, I think it could be any of the three you mention.

Thanks for your valued opinion...it will be interesting and tied to the GU-BYU game this Saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Would you be surprised to learn that Jordan Ford actually won it twice? hahaha What amazes me is that Gonzaga has 3 different players who have won this honor, and one of them isn't Killian Tillie. Wow!

Go Zags!!!
    Haha! I guess I am surprised that I looked at the list 10 times and only saw him once. Guess I need my eyes checked!!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    GU's Pargo won the WCC POY the following season (2009-10).
    Pargo won his junior year 07-08 and didnt play in 09-10, Bouldin won that year.

It's gonna' be a tough one.

Interesting to see how many Coaches vote for Childs. He has been pretty good, but it is based on how a guy performs during the 16 league games & Childs missed 4 of them. 25% is fairly significant, IMO.

Tripp has been an absolute stud & may have drawn more individual attention when game planning than any other player in the league.

The only thing I know for sure is that there will be a lot of howling coming from the various precincts.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pargo won his junior year 07-08 and didnt play in 09-10, Bouldin won that year.
    Thx for noticing my error! Guess my eyes are shot also... Go Zags!
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Gonzaga’s Filip Petrusev, center, tries to keep the ball from Pepperdine forwards Kessler Edwards, left, and Kameron Edwards during the second half. (Ringo H.W. Chiu / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)
    This photo was in a Seattle Times story:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...k-to-18-games/

Petrusev is getting a bit of press. This one in The S-R: Gonzaga rewind: Filip Petrusev’s offense gets rave reviews: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...e-gets-rave-r/ .... was a good one.
    Ten NBA scouts, seated just behind the scorer’s table at Firestone Fieldhouse, no doubt were taking copious notes Saturday during No. 2 Gonzaga’s 89-77 win over Pepperdine.
    Sophomore post Filip Petrusev, who dipped his toe in the NBA Draft waters last season, gave them plenty to write about, mostly in a positive sense.
    Gonzaga’s talented big man took over in the first half, scoring 20 of his game-high 27 points. Pepperdine didn’t have the size to deal with the 6-foot-11, 235-pound Serbian, who showed off his power and footwork while making nine of his career-high 20 shot attempts.
    More at the link ....

He’s certainly deserving of both POW & POY. POY especially if GU wins out in the WCC.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Post FWIW: The 2019-2020 WCC Pre-Season MBB All-WCC Team

As voted by the WCC Coaches

Yoeli Childs - BYU - SR
    Tahj Eddy - SCU - JR
    Kessler Edwards - PEP - SO
    Malik Fitts - SMC - JR
    Jordan Ford - SMC - SR
    TJ Haws - BYU - SR
    Charles Minlend - USF - JR
    Colbey Ross - PEP - JR
    Killian Tillie - GON - SR
    Jahlil Tripp - PAC - SR

WCC Team & Individual Stats through 2/16/20 are available here: https://wccsports.com/documents/2019..._WCC_Stats.pdf

As a reminder, the WCC chooses a 10 player All WCC "First Team" (vs. a 5 player 1st team, 5 player 2nd team), a 5 player All WCC Second Team, and then a variable number of "Honorable Mention" Selections.

In addition to a 5 player "Freshman Team," the WCC will also recognize: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and Newcomer of the Year individual honors.

Note: The WCC post-season awards threads have produced some lively discussions in seasons past. Will post that thread on Sunday, 3/1/20, following the completion of the WCC regular season
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-18-2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Schools Corrected

As voted by the WCC Coaches

Yoeli Childs - BYU - SR
    Tahj Eddy - SCU - JR
    Kessler Edwards - SCU - SO
    Malik Fitts - SCU - JR
    Jordan Ford - SCU - SR
    TJ Haws - BYU - SR
    Charles Minlend - USF - JR
    Colbey Ross - PEP - JR
    Killian Tillie - GON - SR
    Jahlil Tripp - PAC - SR

WCC Team & Individual Stats through 2/16/20 are available here: https://wccsports.com/documents/2019..._WCC_Stats.pdf

As a reminder, the WCC chooses a 10 player All WCC "First Team" (vs. a 5 player 1st team, 5 player 2nd team), a 5 player All WCC Second Team, and then a variable number of "Honorable Mention" Selections.

In addition to a 5 player "Freshman Team," the WCC will also recognize: Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and Newcomer of the Year individual honors.

Note: The WCC post-season awards discussion threads have produced some lively discussions in seasons past. Will post that thread on Sunday, 3/1/20, following the completion of the WCC regular season

Wait, what? Gonzaga only had ONE player voted preseason All-WCC? Wow, and that player has missed much of the season? That should make it obvious that Few is the NCAA couch of the year.

Also, Filip has an outside chance of landing in the top 10 scoring seasons for Gonzaga this year. He has 473 and would need to score about 20 per game with a deep ncaa run.

And it looks like Santa Clara tried to steal a few players from SMC

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post

Sneaky buggers!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post

It’s strong work, regardless