LIONS LURKING BIG WAVES COMING CAN ZAGS KEEP THE SHIP UPRIGHT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2016

LIONS LURKING BIG WAVES COMING CAN ZAGS KEEP THE SHIP UPRIGHT?

Time for some tough love:

Jill you came back into the BYU game with gauze in both nostrils made two free throws for Katie. Then one of the Truong's gave you a desperate pass with the 24 second clock ready to expire and 3 players in your face and you nailed a 3 pointer. Then you nailed a 2nd 3 pointer against BYU in the 4th quarter. Lets recap Jill you hit 2 3 pointers against BYU with gauzed stuck up both nostrils in the 4th quarter.

Now Jill lets review the last 4 games and your 3 point shooting since then wearing your mask. 1st game you were 3-9 on 3 pointers, 2nd game 1-4 on 3 pointers, last two games 0-6 on 3 pointers. Perhaps it has become a mental barrier. Saw last game you were not wearing the sleeve. On your 3 pointers last game they were off angle when they left your hand they were rim bouncers. Jill it looks like your trying different mask, previous games looked like a full front face shield, this last game it seemed smaller more just protecting nose. The broken nose is going to require you to wear that mask for about 6 weeks when you play basketball. So you are just going to have to overcome that mask and any mental blocks.

On the positive note Jill I saw you hit one nice jump shot last game so you can do it. Recommend when shooting 3s try to create game atmosphere moving your head to receive a pass then going up with a 3. You need to start shooting a lots of 3 pointers and jump shots in practice with the mask so it becomes instinct and you forget the mask. Think of it like wearing sun glasses or glasses but make a point of not touching your glasses (facemask).

Jill in game action see you fumbling with the mask a lot. Try to get that mask fine tuned to the point where your not constantly playing with it in game action (hands off your face).

Jill you are the Zags anchor you need to snap out of your funk against LMU. Your fellow Zags are going to have to know you can be counted on when the Waves come crashing down on the Zags ship.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-16-2020, 01:56 PM.
  • ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2016

Lets look at our next opponent Thursday the LMU LIONS.

The following players are trending up the last 2 games:

1. #20 Jones (5'10") 2 games ago she scored 18 pts, 6-8 FG, 6-8 charity stripe, 11 rebounds. Last game 15 Pts, 5-14 FG, 5-9 charity stripe, 10 rebounds.
    So what does that tell us #20 Jones scored all her points within the 3 point line, and she likes taking the ball to the hoop and is very good at getting to the free throw line. Also Jones#20 is a excellent rebounder.

2. #01 Adams (5'8") two games ago scored 16 pts, 5-7 3 pointers all FG attempts taken from 3 point line. Last game 12 Pts, 4-11 3 pointers, all FG attempts taken from 3 point line again.
    This tells us #01 Adams must be guarded closely at all times at the 3 point line. Not only does she make all her FG attempts from 3 pointer, but she can get really hot from 3 point range.

3. #22 Stanley (6'2") last game really stepped it up. #22 Stanley was 6-9 FG 12 pts. All her points were scored in the paint. Reminder #22 Stanley is a big girl.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-16-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2016

And our following opponent on Saturday is Pepperdine Waves.

Pepperdine is going to be a real test they are firing on all cylinders right now they have won their last 5 games in a row.. Lets look at their key players:

1. #1 Bambrick (5'10") last game scored 21 pts, 5-9 on 3 pointers.

2. #24 Friend (5'10") last games scored 16 pts, 6-8 FG, 1-2 3 pointers, 6 rebounds.

3. #23 Sitanggan (5'6") last game 10 assists, 6 steals.

4. #11 Andruiuolo (6'1") averages 9.3 Pts. and 6.8 rebounds per game.

5. #10 Fecske ( last game 11 pts, 4-10 FG, 1-4 3 pointers, 5 rebounds. Averages 9.8 Pts. per game.

6.. #14 Ruffus-Milner (5'10) starter one of identical twins on team she averages 23 minutes and 5.9 points per game.

Lets hope the Zags can significantly improve from last weeks performance.
      Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-16-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2016

Ok some more tough love:

Jenn congrats on the 15 rebounds last game way to pound those boards.

Jenn the reason you were 3-14 FG last game is because you were just tossing it next to the basket with no aim to go in the basket. How about attack every shot with a hope of a 3 point play, instead of just a prayer to get to the free throw line.

Leeanne 3-11 repeat what was told your sister to a lesser degree.

Both Wirth twins you are long and lanky you have the advantage underneath, evidence Jenn's 15 rebounds last game. Ladies at 6'3" tall you should have a high field goal percentage every game.

We need all the Juniors to step it up starting this week, especially our starters.
        Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-16-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• upan8th
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

One single thing the Wirth twins, & especially Ana Marie could do to double their effectiveness is take advantage of their height and HOLD THE BALL UP HIGH. The twins, as well as Melody, keep dropping the ball to waist or chest high preparing for a shot or pass. Essentially putting it in steal range of every 5' 8" guard in the league. I'm sure they've been taught this since high school, but they've apparently yet to learn. Drives me crazy (and, ask my wife, it's not much further down that road I can afford to go).

Comment

• ZagDad84
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by upan8th View Post
            One single thing the Wirth twins, & especially Ana Marie could do to double their effectiveness is take advantage of their height and HOLD THE BALL UP HIGH. The twins, as well as Melody, keep dropping the ball to waist or chest high preparing for a shot or pass. Essentially putting it in steal range of every 5' 8" guard in the league. I'm sure they've been taught this since high school, but they've apparently yet to learn. Drives me crazy (and, ask my wife, it's not much further down that road I can afford to go).
            Or to dribble.

Two steps will take you out to the free throw line, why do you keep trying to dribble in the key?

Makes absolutely no sense, yet they keep doing it.

ZagDad

Comment

• CG3Dad
              Kennel Club
              • Nov 2017

Are some of you Zags coming down for the game? Please look me up if so. My wife and I will be in our usual spot directly behind the LMU bench.

There's a great Italian food place on Lincoln Blvd that we sometimes go before the games:

Alejos Presto Trattoria Italian Restaurant

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2016

So am reading more books lately as I age. I was at the local library a few times and noticed John Stockton Autobiography on display and thumbed through the pictures in his book. On a recent visit I started reading a few areas in his book at the Library and got a few chuckles, so at the last second decided to check it out.

Turns out John met Laura Stepovich in his first class 1980 as a Freshman at Gonzaga. He plucked down in the seat right next to her by the door. One morning he looked out the door and saw a carbon copy of Laura walking by. John did some enquiring and found out Nada and Laura Stepovich were identical twins. Well that spurred on John to get the courage to start talking with Laura and by mid term he asked her to borrow her notes. When John stopped by Laura's dorm room to pickup Laura notes he met her identical twin sister Nada.

John Stockton ended up dating Nada Stepovich all 4 years at Gonzaga, and they married in 1986. So identical twins are intermingled with Gonzaga basketball way back in 1980.
                Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-17-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2016

Jack Stockton, Johns dad who died in 2017 at the age of 89 was instrumental in in his sons basketball success. Jack helped out Kerry Pickett and his wife when they first came to town, and when Jack found out Kerry was quite the basketball and football player in college he recruited him to coach John in the sixth grade. Well Coach Pickett and a couple of his buddies started coaching St. Al's basketball. John said Coach Pickett spent 3 hours a night 6 days a week preparing them. This is where John learned his basket ball work ethic, work harder than everybody else.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2016

Well finished John Stockton Autobiography book. Went to the gym did my senior citizen workout and then shot a few hoops. Made 8 free throws in a row ended up making 9 out of 10 free throws 90%, does not get any better than that for me.

Ok a couple of tidbits I will give you about Johns book he bought a old warehouse across from Gonzaga at some point, he had rebuilt in 2002 to a Basketball and Baseball facility etc. He named the place The Warehouse Athletic Center. If your interested in more info. about the place you can find it on the internet. His Coach for life Kerry Pickett was running the place still as of 2012.

The book actually surprised me in a good way it told of Johns childhood and how the pieces all fell in place for him in the realm of basketball that to me was the most interesting. Another plus is other the the inside cover all the stats were left out of the book. You learned about Johns wife Nada which was very entertaining.

John says in the book some people called him a mommas boy. Which made it funny when after he comes home in the summer after his first NBA season he bought a house right next door to his parents (LOL). But heres the real kicker John stayed stayed living in his parents basement (LOL). Then one of his sisters suggested he rent the house to her and Nada and that happened (LOL).

Their were many other chuckles involving Nada and John until they got married in 1986. Lets just say they dated 6 years, and that unlike basketball John moved like a turtle in this arena (LOL).

The book history goes to 2012.

Anyway would recommend this book to my fellow perhaps 80% senior citizens of the Lady Zags it is a good read I finished it in 2 days. And being that perhaps the 1st half of the book takes place in Spokane it makes it even more interesting.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2016

So CG3Dad thought you said your daughter butted heads with another player how did she end up wearing a boot?

Comment

• CG3Dad
                        Kennel Club
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
                        So CG3Dad thought you said your daughter butted heads with another player how did she end up wearing a boot?
                        Yep butted heads in the SF game in the fourth. Still haven't watched that game.

She's doing better. Her foot had been bothering her for the last several weeks, which is part of the reason she had been playing so inconsistently. Being out with the head injury was an opportunity to wear the boot for a while and immobilize the foot a bit to help it heal. She told me today the boot came off yesterday and her foot feels much better as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2016

CG3Dad

Glad to hear she is doing better and taking the time to heal her foot in the process. God's amazing creation our bodies heal themselves, if we can just be patient enough.
                          Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-19-2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2016

Well folks lets look at our team this week compared to last time we played LMU and Pepperdine. At that time we had Katie however both Leeanne Wirth and Kayleigh Truong were out with sprain ankles.

LMU is also banged up this week and their leading scorer might be out. Back to the Zags Jill since breaking her nose has gone ice cold from 3 point range and jumpers seem to be dwindling. The Wirth twins were ice cold last game on offense. So where does this leave us verses our two opponents this week.

I would be happy with the same score as last game 78-52 against LMU. Of course our offense needs to shake off their funk.

Pepperdine just like SMC we blew out of the water at home. Pepperdine probably have game planned all week just for Saturday game verses the Zags. The Waves have some 3 point shooters that can get hot Bambrick and Friend come to mind. I think the Waves have improved since our last meeting, won their last 5 games.

Last game against the Waves they scored 36 points I don't see that happening missing a key defensive cog. However we scored 70 last time against them, and we should be able to do that again if our offense heats up this week. The Waves make me nervous this week, because they were thoroughly embarrassed in the Kennel just like SMC, and will clearly be looking for payback. I think this game will be a lot closer, and we our clearly going to need our offense to elevate its game against the Wave's this week.

Last 3 games the Waves have scored 70,77, and 79 points. Seems like their offense has awaken be aware Zags.

Anybody want to chime in for scoring predictions for our next two games?

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2016

30-30 Halftime great 1st half for LMU.

Zags how about starting a new game in 2nd half. Jill stop making the stupid fouls, get on the court and make some shots, you should be well rested.

Zags your way taller than LMU lets dominate on the boards, and make those bunny shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X