Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tillie’s status

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
    I don’t think TTown’s comment was a knock on Tillie. A Wiltjer who can defend would be a very good player

Thank you

I think Tillie is very good. I think Wiltjer is very good. I think even if healthy all year, Tillie wouldn't be a top 14 (lottery) pick, and his NBA comparisons are not NBA starter types. I;d prefer to be proven wrong. WillandI says "you don't think much of the quality of Zag Players" but i'd like to think accurately of their quality.

Very few seniors (even totally healthy ones) go in the top 14 (lottery) in recent years, and most have been all american or national player of the year types (Buddy Hield, Frank Kaminsky, etc). Cam Johnson, taken at 11th last year, surprised most draft projectors by going so soon. His season shooting 46% from 3 with more attempts per game than Tillie has ever tried, and amid a tougher conference caught a lot of GMs' eyes. He is a 7ppg bench buy for one of the worst teams in the NBA.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 02-16-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Just four regular season games left: USF, @BYU, USD, SMC. If Killian is unable to play on his senior night vs Gaels that will be so damn sad I will likely cry.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Thank you

I think Tillie is very good. I think Wiltjer is very good. I think even if healthy all year, Tillie wouldn't be a top 14 (lottery) pick, and his NBA comparisons are not NBA starter types. I;d prefer to be proven wrong. WillandI says "you don't think much of the quality of Zag Players" but i'd like to think accurately of their quality.

Very few seniors (even totally healthy ones) go in the top 14 (lottery) in recent years, and most have been all american or national player of the year types (Buddy Hield, Frank Kaminsky, etc). Cam Johnson, taken at 11th last year, surprised most draft projectors by going so soon. His season shooting 46% from 3 with more attempts per game than Tillie has ever tried, and amid a tougher conference caught a lot of GMs' eyes. He is a 7ppg bench buy for one of the worst teams in the NBA.
    Cam Johnson, at 6'8" and 205 lbs, is not necessarily the best comparison to Tillie, either.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Just four regular season games left: USF, @BYU, USD, SMC. If Killian is unable to play on his senior night vs Gaels that will be so damn sad I will likely cry.
    Me as well

My gut feeling is that Killian will not play until the team’s in Provo. And that if he isn’t going to play against USF @ home this week the team will say something before the game. Killian has not been an athlete who dials things back on the court. When he plays he does so with abandon. A guy like that is best to be healed up pretty darn well before playing in games.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Yuma, AZ that Killian misses the St. Marys game. They will roll him out on the court in a wheelchair if they have to. I personally don't think his injury is serious; it looks like they are just resting him for March. I don't expect him to play vs USF, but I do expect to see him play in Provo.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Yuma, AZ that Killian misses the St. Marys game. They will roll him out on the court in a wheelchair if they have to. I personally don't think his injury is serious; it looks like they are just resting him for March. I don't expect him to play vs USF, but I do expect to see him play in Provo.
    Depends on how you define serious. I get what you are saying. His injury doesn't appear to be season ending, but it's serious enough that he is still missing games.

Watching him in warmups at Pepperdine leads me to believe he will play against USF.

Speculation on Tillie's draft status and subsequent effectiveness at the NBA level is definitely something that can be argued on both sides.

I have loved Tillie's game since the first moment he put on a Zag uniform. His ability on the defensive end is underrated as he is athletic enough to switch and even handle quick guards for short stretches. Everybody knows his skills on the offensive end. He has stretch the floor capabilities, extraordinary passing abilities and can post up with effectiveness.

What a lot of people underestimate is the massive jump from college to the NBA. I would take a chance on Tillie somewhere mid to late second round because, when healthy he has late first round talent. What that projects to is a very good bench piece with the potential to be a starter in the league.

Tillie is one of my favorite Zags. I really hope he gets a legitimate shot on an NBA club. He's a good kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Depends on how you define serious. I get what you are saying. His injury doesn't appear to be season ending, but it's serious enough that he is still missing games.

Watching him in warmups at Pepperdine leads me to believe he will play against USF.
    Was he wearing a walking boot? No, leading me to believe he’s fine. However, I expect to see him on limited minutes on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Was he wearing a walking boot? No, leading me to believe he’s fine. However, I expect to see him on limited minutes on Thursday.
    I don't believe he's "fine" Tex. If that were the case he would have played. If he had been in a walking boot we would've been speculating if he would be out for weeks, but ankles take time to fully heal and a player can be north of 50% and not wearing one.

I'm hoping the medical staff in conjunction with the coaches were buying a couple weeks time to get him fully healthy to play this Thursday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Cam Johnson, at 6'8" and 205 lbs, is not necessarily the best comparison to Tillie, either.
    I agree he may not be the best, but do you have a better? Johnson is an elite 3pt shooting power forward with a history of leg/ankle injuries and didn't enter the NBA draft until after his senior year. I couldn't find a better recent comparison, nor were any suggested by people proposing I am mistaken about the pro prospects of a healthy Killian.

I agree he may not be the best, but do you have a better? Johnson is an elite 3pt shooting power forward with a history of leg/ankle injuries and didn't enter the NBA draft until after his senior year. I couldn't find a better recent comparison, nor were any suggested by people proposing I am mistaken about the pro prospects of a healthy Killian.
    I probably don’t follow the NBA enough to be useful to you in that regard (providing a good NBA comparison), especially on the age front. Tillie seems to be more of a “three-and-d” stretch PF, or even small-ball center. I look at Cam as more of a small forward/wing type. There are probably a more guys like Cam and less like Tillie, but maybe to a lesser degree now that the NBA has changed. Tillie would be asked to bang around down low and would be a higher commodity than Cam for that reason alone, it seems to me.

I'm with all of you who believe that Killian Tillie is a GREAT power forward, and for many more reasons than his shooting ability. He fits into the Pro game perfectly, and what some teams will see in him is that he can really pass. I think every team would want a power forward who can pass as well as Killian. His game is definitely like having another point guard on the floor. Also Killian is very smart. He knows what's going on at all times, and in that sense he's a true leader. You can see it when he plays with the Zags. He transforms the team and brings them to another level. Timme is a very good 4 but he can not shoot like Tillie, nor can he pass. And he's just a freshman. I'm not pointing this out to downgrade Timme but to point out how good Timmie is. If he stays heathy we honestly do have a legitimate chance to win it all this year. I do believe his ankle is getting better and that we'll see him play this week, even Thursday. He needs to get some of the rust off before the game Saturday.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Dirk Nowitski.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm with all of you who believe that Killian Tillie is a GREAT power forward, and for many more reasons than his shooting ability. He fits into the Pro game perfectly, and what some teams will see in him is that he can really pass. I think every team would want a power forward who can pass as well as Killian. His game is definitely like having another point guard on the floor. Also Killian is very smart. He knows what's going on at all times, and in that sense he's a true leader. You can see it when he plays with the Zags. He transforms the team and brings them to another level. Timme is a very good 4 but he can not shoot like Tillie, nor can he pass. And he's just a freshman. I'm not pointing this out to downgrade Timme but to point out how good Timmie is. If he stays heathy we honestly do have a legitimate chance to win it all this year. I do believe his ankle is getting better and that we'll see him play this week, even Thursday. He needs to get some of the rust off before the game Saturday.

Go Zags!!!
    These are all very true things, but if he can never step on the floor because he is injured all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Dirk Nowitski.
    Is tall and white and European.

Also 2" taller, had an almost otherworldly durable body, started in the NBA straight from high school, and had a signature offensive go-to move (fadeaway midrange jumper) that isn't in Tillie's repertoire.

I think everyone here agrees an unhealthy Tillie isn't an NBA player, and a very healthy Tillie is an NBA player. The discussion is what kind of an NBA player might a healthy Tillie realistically become. I hope we all get the chance to see.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    These are all very true things, but if he can never step on the floor because he is injured all the time...
    Who says he won't step on the floor again? Come on! It's a sprain ankle, not a broken one. He's not wearing a boot. He was warming up with the team before the game without a noticeable limp, and stretching on sideline as if he were going to play. I' no expert but my guess is he plays this week, both games.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Who says he won't step on the floor again? Come on! It's a sprain ankle, not a broken one. He's not wearing a boot. He was warming up with the team before the game without a noticeable limp, and stretching on sideline as if he were going to play. I' no expert but my guess is he plays this week, both games.
    C'mon Reborn. I know the word "never" was used by hooter, but you know what he meant. If Tillie can't stay healthy for more than a few games at a time, the NBA is going to pass on him.

I'm thinking he will play Thursday and Saturday but the point is, he was going to use this season to prove he could play without getting injured. It hasn't happened.

Potentially ten games left. If Killian is able to finish the season without having to sit again it will go a long way towards having an NBA GM take a shot at drafting him.

Speaking from the personal experience of playing through a full season with a worse than average ankle sprain, you are day-to-day. You feel pretty good and then tweak it again in practice and you’re back to square one. It’s a nightmare. And it’s simply bad luck. But the bad luck of ankle sprains doesn’t make one’s talent disappear long term like some seem to be saying. Just hope Tillie gets over the hump with his ankle

Every game since that shocking Florida State no show in the NCs it seems Tils is a game time decision. So sad, all that freshman promise.

I think that there may be many teams that might want Tillie as a reserve forward. If he could come in and give you 10 to 15 minutes a game (even every other game), then for the top teams he would be a super asset. Not a first round draft choice but somewhere during the second. This would give him time to strengthen his ankles and then who knows. That could be a super steal. If healthy his upside is really high. Most low level second round draft choices are on potential and he would be that.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Every game since that shocking Florida State no show in the NCs it seems Tils is a game time decision. So sad, all that freshman promise.
    That is what makes me think they're just holding him out of the lesser games now and only playing him against the meaningful teams/games.

I would be shocked if he played against USF, and I'd be shocked if he didn't play against BYU, then repeat the same thing in the next week.

Actually, it is probably the best way to manage him right now. An argument could be made that he should play BYU, SMC, the Conference final, and maybe the 2nd game of the tourney.

It may not be the best argument, but it's not a ridiculous argument, either.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Not loving this thread. I’d love for Tillie to have a great NBA career, and its great for the university when we have guys that go on and prosper at the next level, but give me a break with the prognostications and whether so and so can offer up a proper comp for what or who he projects to in the NBA. He’s 6’10” and can shoot from deep, can handle the ball, can pass, can defend and is from a winning culture. He’ll get a dog somewhere. He’s been injured and this can’t stay healthy garbage is warranted but also overblown. He tweaked his ankle. If he can play Thursday, he’ll play. If not, he’ll play Saturday. It’s not his knee or the foot he fractured nor his hip but a sprained ankle. I watched it happen. It’ll heal. He’ll be fine. And I’m willing to bet, he’ll be fine for us the remainder of the way and will go on to be a solid NBA player. But I’m always an optimist and can’t look at life any other way. Here’s to a deep run in March with a healthy team, not just Killian. And if not, I’ll always look forward to the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That is what makes me think they're just holding him out of the lesser games now and only playing him against the meaningful teams/games.

I would be shocked if he played against USF, and I'd be shocked if he didn't play against BYU, then repeat the same thing in the next week.

Actually, it is probably the best way to manage him right now. An argument could be made that he should play BYU, SMC, the Conference final, and maybe the 2nd game of the tourney.

It may not be the best argument, but it's not a ridiculous argument, either.
    Holding out a key player vs any foe if said player is physically able to play just doesn’t seem to be Few’s style imo. Tough to implore your team to play 100% vs every foe as any D1 team is capable of pulling off an upset on any given night if players know the coach is keeping their best player off the court just to play things safe.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Not loving this thread. I’d love for Tillie to have a great NBA career, and its great for the university when we have guys that go on and prosper at the next level, but give me a break with the prognostications and whether so and so can offer up a proper comp for what or who he projects to in the NBA. He’s 6’10” and can shoot from deep, can handle the ball, can pass, can defend and is from a winning culture. He’ll get a dog somewhere. He’s been injured and this can’t stay healthy garbage is warranted but also overblown. He tweaked his ankle. If he can play Thursday, he’ll play. If not, he’ll play Saturday. It’s not his knee or the foot he fractured nor his hip but a sprained ankle. I watched it happen. It’ll heal. He’ll be fine. And I’m willing to bet, he’ll be fine for us the remainder of the way and will go on to be a solid NBA player. But I’m always an optimist and can’t look at life any other way. Here’s to a deep run in March with a healthy team, not just Killian. And if not, I’ll always look forward to the journey.
    Yes

I believe an injury prone Killian would never have left France let alone gotten as good as he has. Some athletes take awhile to grow into their frame. Take a look at how an NBA player looks now compared to their college (or HS) body. We all grow differently. My feelings are that someone’s going to have a bit of bad luck and it just happened to be Killian. Time will tell and I’m all in on luck changing for Killian
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

The radio pre-game on Thursday will be a must-listen; hopefully they won't keep us hanging and will update us on the status of Sir Tillie.