Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 92 of 92

Thread: Tillie’s status

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Interesting, to me, that while some on the board here believe that Tillie is a marginal NBA player and some believe not even likely to be drafted, the two 'color' guys tonight believed him to be the hardest player to guard, in the NCAA, when healthy.

    What NBA GM would not take at least a 2nd round pick on that, assuming that no more injuries occur.
    Being elite in college doesn't translate directly to NBA draft desirability or subsequent NBA performance. Udoka Azubuike is the consensus best center in the sport of college basketball, plays for a top5 team, and will probably win the Kareem Abdul Jabbar award. But he is a senior and isn't even showing on most 2nd round mock NBA drafts. When he shows up, it's in the 50-60 range and there are at least 5 college centers projected ahead of him, all underclassmen. (Wiseman, Stewart, Carey, Nnaji, Oturu, Jalen Smith).

    That being said, I don't think anyone who has posted here believes that a fully healthy Tillie wouldn't be employed by an NBA team, even if not drafted.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Being elite in college doesn't translate directly to NBA draft desirability or subsequent NBA performance. Udoka Azubuike is the consensus best center in the sport of college basketball, plays for a top5 team, and will probably win the Kareem Abdul Jabbar award. But he is a senior and isn't even showing on most 2nd round mock NBA drafts. When he shows up, it's in the 50-60 range and there are at least 5 college centers projected ahead of him, all underclassmen. (Wiseman, Stewart, Carey, Nnaji, Oturu, Jalen Smith).

    That being said, I don't think anyone who has posted here believes that a fully healthy Tillie wouldn't be employed by an NBA team, even if not drafted.



    "He is never going to be drafted. This Team is stretching it’s limits with the players we have and they are doing great but we haven’t had Tillie available for six straight games in quite a while and there probably isn’t enough duct tape and baling wire to hold him together for the rest of the season. It’s a shame because those rare few games he is healthy have been wonderful to watch."

    "Exactly what I was going to post. This idea that he is still a viable pro prospect is only in the minds of people that play scratch off tickets always expecting to win big. Just not going to happen and to no fault of anyone, kid just has had terrible luck with injuries only contrasted by his amazing potential if he could have been healthy for even half his basketball career. Sucks but it’s the truth."

    "They gamble when there seems to be a really high upside. They know many such gambles won’t pay off, but assume the minority’s that do pay off will have a high enough upside to compensate. A completely healthy Tillie who never sprains a pinky the rest of his life has an upside as an nba bench player that’s basically Kyle wiltjer who can defend"
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  3. #78

    Default

    i find the 3rd quote above kinda funny...i tend to think a wiltjer who can defend would very likely be a starter in the nba, so if that's what tillie is then some team better take flier on him in the second round.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    I do not understand those who do not feel that Tillie will be drafted or cannot play in the NBA. He has all the tools for a reserve or maybe even a starter later in his career. He will not be playing center. He will be playing a forward. Defensively he can guard every player on the other team, all the way down to point guards when required to switch. Offensively he can drive, shoot the three and shoot the midrange jumper. I thought many teams will love having him as insurance. But we will wait and see. If I were a general manager I would look at all of the bigs GU has produced and the fundamentals that they all seem to have.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    The man's character is revealed through hardship, and I've seen enough to know that whatever he does, it's going to be successful. the NBA may be a few years in some capacity, but his future is bright regardless.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i find the 3rd quote above kinda funny...i tend to think a wiltjer who can defend would very likely be a starter in the nba, so if that's what tillie is then some team better take flier on him in the second round.
    Are there any current NBA starters you'd compare him to? (either actually Tillie, or a "Kyle Wiltjer who can defend" type?

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    [/B]

    "He is never going to be drafted. This Team is stretching it’s limits with the players we have and they are doing great but we haven’t had Tillie available for six straight games in quite a while and there probably isn’t enough duct tape and baling wire to hold him together for the rest of the season. It’s a shame because those rare few games he is healthy have been wonderful to watch."

    "Exactly what I was going to post. This idea that he is still a viable pro prospect is only in the minds of people that play scratch off tickets always expecting to win big. Just not going to happen and to no fault of anyone, kid just has had terrible luck with injuries only contrasted by his amazing potential if he could have been healthy for even half his basketball career. Sucks but it’s the truth."

    "They gamble when there seems to be a really high upside. They know many such gambles won’t pay off, but assume the minority’s that do pay off will have a high enough upside to compensate. A completely healthy Tillie who never sprains a pinky the rest of his life has an upside as an nba bench player that’s basically Kyle wiltjer who can defend"
    None of those 3 quotes claimed a healthy Tillie wouldn't likely be on an NBA roster. Mine (the 3rd) claims he WOULD be on an NBA roster, as a bench player.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    None of those 3 quotes claimed a healthy Tillie wouldn't likely be on an NBA roster. Mine (the 3rd) claims he WOULD be on an NBA roster, as a bench player.
    OK. You win. You won't own up to your own words without putting a spin on them. Good job! You obviously know more about basketball than the two color guys last night, more than me and more than many others on this board.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,951

    Default

    I humbly suggest we ease off the Tillie in the NBA subject until after the season is over. Another tournament performance resembling two years ago will boost his draft stock considerably. I'm hoping multiple Zags "blow up" during the tournament, ala Domas, Brandon, and Zach Collins.

    In today's NBA, there's a great demand for 6'10" players capable of shooting 3 pointers at a 45% clip. Killian is not just a shooter, but a quick footed, athletic defender as well.

    I recall that Steph Curry had ankle issues his first few years in the NBA, but they were eventually solved.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I humbly suggest we ease off the Tillie in the NBA subject until after the season is over.
    The seeming obsession by some with the: yes he will/no he won't be drafted talk is, frankly, starting to make me a little nauseous. Baseless speculation as to Tillie's future seems to be such a waste when we should be focusing on the unexpected but utterly fantastic season we are so lucky to be experiencing at the moment. Not wishing to offend anyone; just wish we would back off on the NBA talk

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    562

    Default

    It's been said that Tillies knee can swell up from flying. Who's got a big motorhome? I'll pitch in on fuel and get our superstar to the BYU game as healthy as possible.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Only if its allowed by the ncaa. What was I thinking.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    It's been said that Tillies knee can swell up from flying. Who's got a big motorhome? I'll pitch in on fuel and get our superstar to the BYU game as healthy as possible.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Let's fire up the Winnebago...if we leave within the hour, we'll reach Provo with room to spare. Well, 40 minutes to spare.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I humbly suggest we ease off the Tillie in the NBA subject until after the season is over. Another tournament performance resembling two years ago will boost his draft stock considerably. I'm hoping multiple Zags "blow up" during the tournament, ala Domas, Brandon, and Zach Collins.

    In today's NBA, there's a great demand for 6'10" players capable of shooting 3 pointers at a 45% clip. Killian is not just a shooter, but a quick footed, athletic defender as well.

    I recall that Steph Curry had ankle issues his first few years in the NBA, but they were eventually solved.
    Thank you.
    Parlez-vous français?

  15. #90
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Are there any current NBA starters you'd compare him to? (either actually Tillie, or a "Kyle Wiltjer who can defend" type?
    Okay..I will bite. Here are guys that are starters or serious rotation players who's game are similar to Tillie. Obviously all these guys are NBA talents and Tillie would need to adapt to the NBA and stay healthy. 3

    Lauri Markkanen, Robert Covington, Paul Milsap, Jayson Tatum, and Draymond Green would be comparables for me. These aren't exact comps but similar is style of play, all play the four in the NBA, and all can hit from the outside as well as play defense (Green is an elite defender). I could make a case for John Collins as well but I think Tillie has more offensive versatility.

    As I've said before, if Tillie didn't have the injuries in the past, he would have already been a lottery pick. Due to the injuries, he's likely late first round at best, more likely a second rounder due to the guarantees a first rounder gets.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    A brother-in-law of mine. who’s sure to sneak into roller rinks, said he’d bet me $50 that Tillie doesn’t make the NBA. I quickly stuck out my hand. While shaking he then said, “And Tillie has to stay in a year if he does make it.”

    I just don’t get some people.

    All this Tillie/NBA stuff aside. Killian’s having a fun time at GU. He’s got 2 K2 games left and a darn good chance to play more Spokane games. Killian’s going to make the most of what time he has left in a Zags uni. Wherever Killian plays hoops after GU they’re going to be pickled tink to have him.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,305

    Default

    Andy Katz chats with K.T. in a 3 minute video:

    https://twitter.com/i/status/1230930186859929606

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •