Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tillie’s status

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Not loving this thread. I’d love for Tillie to have a great NBA career, and its great for the university when we have guys that go on and prosper at the next level, but give me a break with the prognostications and whether so and so can offer up a proper comp for what or who he projects to in the NBA. He’s 6’10” and can shoot from deep, can handle the ball, can pass, can defend and is from a winning culture. He’ll get a dog somewhere. He’s been injured and this can’t stay healthy garbage is warranted but also overblown. He tweaked his ankle. If he can play Thursday, he’ll play. If not, he’ll play Saturday. It’s not his knee or the foot he fractured nor his hip but a sprained ankle. I watched it happen. It’ll heal. He’ll be fine. And I’m willing to bet, he’ll be fine for us the remainder of the way and will go on to be a solid NBA player. But I’m always an optimist and can’t look at life any other way. Here’s to a deep run in March with a healthy team, not just Killian. And if not, I’ll always look forward to the journey.
    I like this thread. It's a proper topic for discussion. There is a healthy diversity of opinion here. I agree with some, don't agree with others but find all of them fascinating.

All we can hope for is a few big games and big moments when we need him before he graduates. There's no point in arguing what's next. Scouts either think he's injury prone or a risk worth taking. He'll get drafted or he won't. He'll play in Europe or he won't. He'll get healthy or he won't. Right now we just need him to play about a dozen more games and stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    I think that there may be many teams that might want Tillie as a reserve forward. If he could come in and give you 10 to 15 minutes a game (even every other game), then for the top teams he would be a super asset. Not a first round draft choice but somewhere during the second. This would give him time to strengthen his ankles and then who knows. That could be a super steal. If healthy his upside is really high. Most low level second round draft choices are on potential and he would be that.
    The way the Orthopedist explained it to the novice...spraining an ankle is stretching the ligament and once it is strained/stretched it isn't going to go back to its "normal" length...so don't know of a way to strengthen his ankles BUT if technology has changed then that would be great. I know there is an MD or two on this board and maybe they can elaborate and speak much more intelligently then I!!!

We all want Killian to heal and play Bball as long as he wishes...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    The way the Orthopedist explained it to the novice...spraining an ankle is stretching the ligament and once it is strained/stretched it isn't going to go back to its "normal" length...so don't know of a way to strengthen his ankles BUT if technology has changed then that would be great. I know there is an MD or two on this board and maybe they can elaborate and speak much more intelligently then I!!!

We all want Killian to heal and play Bball as long as he wishes...
    I'm not a doctor either. What I've seen with Steph Curry leads me to believe something can be done to reduce the chances of a debilitating ankle problem. Steph went a couple of years continually reinjuring his ankles until the docs figured out how to stabilize them. Don't know if it was the braces, the shoes, exercise designed to add strength or all of the above, but clearly something worked.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-ankles-sports

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    There's no point in arguing what's next.

This is certainly a minority viewpoint.

Certainly no reason to bother reading or posting on any thread about a topic in which you have no interest.

I am not the least bit worried about Killian. Heard he had a great practice yesterday. If he plays Thursday, he plays.

But I am not the least bit worried about Killian.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    This is certainly a minority viewpoint.

Certainly no reason to bother reading or posting on any thread about a topic in which you have no interest.
    I recant on how I phrased that. Those that think Tillie will continue to be plagued by issues that keep him out of the lineup (with the Zags or eventually in Europe or in the G-League) will be proven right or wrong in due time. Those who think Tillie is comparable to HOF'er Dirk will be proven right or wrong. I didn't mean to encourage censorship or non-discussion on these issues. My point is that time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I am not the least bit worried about Killian. Heard he had a great practice yesterday. If he plays Thursday, he plays.

Awesome, thanks so much GoZags!

Anyone else remember that massive dunk Tillie threw down in the tournament last year in the first game blowout? It might have been garbage time, but was still awesome. "Bring it on big man!"
    Let's hope for a few more of these. I had forgotten he was well enough to go for 17 in that first game.

Awesome, thanks so much GoZags!

Anyone else remember that massive dunk Tillie threw down in the tournament last year in the first game blowout? It might have been garbage time, but was still awesome. "Bring it on big man!"
    Let's hope for a few more of these. I had forgotten he was well enough to go for 17 in that first game.

With a healthy Tillie for the entire season would have made that team the best ever at GU!!!

GO ZAGS!!!

Caveat: Tillie is a high-level athlete and I am not.

I can say that I have a "bad" ankle from playing ball for a long time and have experienced multiple sprains. In my current state, I can play one game a week and have some pains that I always notice while playing, but don't slow me down too much that day. They always hurt for many days after. Playing twice a week would be very difficult. It would be no surprise to me if they are just trying to have him at his best for the big games.

My concern is for Tillie, not about him. By all evidence he is a fine man, a leader and a skilled athlete. He deserves and will have a great future whether or not he ever plays the game again.

Yes, his participation makes a profound difference to the Zags. i’m pulling for him to decide what is best for him and whatever his decision, I thank him for all he has given to Gonzaga. Wish all Zags to feel the same. It’s a game, folks.

Fran Fraschilla posted an image to the web this afternoon of today's GU practice. He didn't mention Tillie specifically at all, but looks like he's in #33 blue, clearly on the floor.

The right leg (w/knee wrap) is what he had the preseason arthroscope procedure on. It was his left ankle he rolled vs Arizona and then vs Santa Clara.

No wonder our post players are so good. Look at #21. He looks like a giant next to Timme. Just think, the Zags must go up against him in every practice. It's an interesting pic because there are 3 post players on the first team plus Kispert at the 2. That would be an interesting line up for sure (tillie, Petrusev, Timme, Kispert, Woolridge).
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    No wonder our post players are so good. Look at #21. He looks like a giant next to Timme. Just think, the Zags must go up against him in every practice. It's an interesting pic because there are 3 post players on the first team plus Kispert at the 2. That would be an interesting line up for sure (tillie, Petrusev, Timme, Kispert, Woolridge).
    How big is Ballo now? He looks like he has grown!

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    How big is Ballo now? He looks like he has grown!
    I think Timme is 6' 10". But dang Ballo looks at least 7'0" and must weigh 260 or more. It will be interesting to see what the Zag coaches can do with someone his size. Gonzaga is famous for taking guys like Petrusev and turning them into NBA players. I am glad that the coaches have had a year to work with Ballo because we know that what ever the coaches do teach, they teach it well (it's all about footwork). I am quite sure Ballo has made our post players tougher. I'm beginning to understand why they are playing so well.

Go Zags!!!

Turns out Ballo could've come in real handy this year.

They did all they could, glad they have a year to work with him, if he can't play this is next best option.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

A year of learning and refinement is/was exactly what Ballo as a player needed. I dont know if they could have used him any more this year than they have used Zakharov, even though the need has been there.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    A year of learning and refinement is/was exactly what Ballo as a player needed. I dont know if they could have used him any more this year than they have used Zakharov, even though the need has been there.
    Ballo made the All-Star Five at the FIBA U19 with 17.6 points, 11.8 rebounds, 3.8 blocks, 1.6 assists, 1.2 steals per game. Zakharov didn't make his team's roster. I suspect Ballo was far more ready for PT this year than Zakharov had he been available.

Here's what 247 Sports had to say about them in November:

Pavel Zakharov, C, Gonzaga:

Zakharov, a native of Russia that played his senior year in Florida at Montverde CBD, has tremendous upside. It all starts with his physical tools, standing 7-feet tall with broad shoulders, good length and impressive athleticism. His frame will fill out in a college weight room and he should end up a strong kid. He has a good set of mitts and a nice touch around the basket. Although Zakharov has immense talent, there’s an expected learning curve. The fact that Gonzaga some experienced bigs on their roster means minutes will be far and few between this year. But the future is bright.

Oumar Ballo, C, Gonzaga:

Even though Ballo is going to be an academic redshirt this season for the Zags, this is a player we fully expect to have a big impact at Gonzaga sooner than later. He has a huge frame with wide shoulders to go with long arms and enters Spokane pretty far ahead of the majority of his peers in terms of his physical development. He is a tough kid who plays extremely hard, finishes well with contact and rebounds his area on both sides of the court. He should be an instant-impact guy as soon as he’s eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Watson is the one who would have really helped. Versatility, defense, and a high B-ball IQ with years of watching GU.

Ballo is younger than all 3 of Harris/Suggs/Strawther, and he's actually 13 months younger than Suggs. I wonder if he (Ballo) is the youngest person on a D1 roster. He easily could have been a high school junior this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

That’s good news. Coach Few has said that the ankle is literally day to day with him. I take him at face value on this and don’t think they are hiding something. I hope his ankle woke up on the right side of the bed this morning.

Watson is the one who would have really helped. Versatility, defense, and a high B-ball IQ with years of watching GU.

Ballo is younger than all 3 of Harris/Suggs/Strawther, and he's actually 13 months younger than Suggs. I wonder if he (Ballo) is the youngest person on a D1 roster. He easily could have been a high school junior this year.
    And yet he dominated in the U19s last year. Says a lot about him.

Radio guys said they expect to see Killian play tonight, whatever that means.

Killian’s in shootaround without sweats - looking spry!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Radio guys said they expect to see Killian play tonight, whatever that means.
    Mmmm ? What do you think it means? I'm curious.

Interesting, to me, that while some on the board here believe that Tillie is a marginal NBA player and some believe not even likely to be drafted, the two 'color' guys tonight believed him to be the hardest player to guard, in the NCAA, when healthy.

What NBA GM would not take at least a 2nd round pick on that, assuming that no more injuries occur.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!