Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game thoughts and analysis

A couple observations from inside the gym.

Tillie was warming up and looked fine. No obvious pain. Four minutes before game time he took a seat by Anton while the rest of the team finished their pregame routine. Tillie then sat on the floor for a minute and stretched his hamstrings.

After Timme got his first foul and exited the game, Few literally told Petrusev,”NO FOULS “ during a dead ball two possessions later.

Pepperdine wanted to double the post so badly every trip. They were sending players from the weak side, from the top and digging from the wings. But, they were having a hard time even getting there because Filip was making instantaneous and quick moves as soon as he touched the ball. Timme, mostly in the second half got doubled in the post because he hasn’t developed the quick drop step to the degree Filip has. Timme, more often than not, simply dribbled out of the double team and passed to a guard for a reset.

Filip was taking shots from Pepperdine all night. He played as tough as I’ve seen all year. However, Few lit him up one time. Petro got knocked down on a shot attempt and the ball went the other way. He took his time getting up and Few let him have it. Coach was wildly gesticulating and waving his arms, yelling at him to get back on defense. Later in the half Filip was pointing to himself indicating he wanted a rest and Few just looked at him and sent him on his way. He was gassed and rightly so. He played hard with not much rest all night.

One other thing. Tillie is a leader. He was keeping his teammates loose during timeouts. At halftime he was working with Arlauskas on a couple things. He then put his arm around him and got him to laugh.

One more. That kid Ross competes.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    A couple observations from inside the gym.

Tillie was warming up and looked fine. No obvious pain. Four minutes before game time he took a seat by Anton while the rest of the team finished their pregame routine. Tillie then sat on the floor for a minute and stretched his hamstrings.

After Timme got his first foul and exited the game, Few literally told Petrusev,”NO FOULS “ during a dead ball two possessions later.

Pepperdine wanted to double the post so badly every trip. They were sending players from the weak side, from the top and digging from the wings. But, they were having a hard time even getting there because Filip was making instantaneous and quick moves as soon as he touched the ball. Timme, mostly in the second half got doubled in the post because he hasn’t developed the quick drop step to the degree Filip has. Timme, more often than not, simply dribbled out of the double team and passed to a guard for a reset.

Filip was taking shots from Pepperdine all night. He played as tough as I’ve seen all year. However, Few lit him up one time. Petro got knocked down on a shot attempt and the ball went the other way. He took his time getting up and Few let him have it. Coach was wildly gesticulating and waving his arms, yelling at him to get back on defense. Later in the half Filip was pointing to himself indicating he wanted a rest and Few just looked at him and sent him on his way. He was gassed and rightly so. He played hard with not much rest all night.

One other thing. Tillie is a leader. He was keeping his teammates loose during timeouts. At halftime he was working with Arlauskas on a couple things. He then put his arm around him and got him to laugh.

One more. That kid Ross competes.
    These are all fantastic, and just the kinds of insights that would only be available to someone paying serious attention who was near the court in a game. It would be great if someone who went to all the games could provide something half this good. The Tillie note has me optimistic.

I thought that Arlauskas did very well during the time he was in the game. Great energy and worked hard to be in the correct positions on the court.

thanks for the first hand account! love these

I liked Few and co.'s adjustments to the Petro post double team, after the first half. Pep tried m2m no help low block and got hammered, dabbled with different rotations 1st half, then went hard second half doubling the post. Few abd co. adjusted quickly and got Petro in more screen roll action and also had him as the hi in the hi lo, it was beautiful after the first half low block pile driver Petro was. Few anticpated Romar/Bone hard Petro low block double team, made them pay for it imo by pulling him away from the block and getting him other looks, coupled with the D that cranks up for spurts and fuels runs in transition

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    These are all fantastic, and just the kinds of insights that would only be available to someone paying serious attention who was near the court in a game. It would be great if someone who went to all the games could provide something half this good. The Tillie note has me optimistic.
    re. the Pep D game plan, how TV covered it, and the differences observed here and in the game thread, it's interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    re. the Pep D game plan, how TV covered it, and the differences observed here and in the game thread, it's interesting
    I trust the Mark Burn analysis more than those Saturday announcers'. ("Zags clearly talented and deep enough to handle these new injuries...")

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I trust the Mark Burn analysis more than those Saturday announcers'. ("Zags clearly talented and deep enough to handle these new injuries...")
    well he and I saw many of the same things

I would double Petrusev if I was the opposing team. He misses enough free throws, rarely passes out of a double team for an assist, and isn’t the best we’ve had at finishing through contact. It’s probably one of the few things you can do to try to gain an advantage against this team.

If you get into his head, you might be able to catch him sleeping on a defensive transition, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    thanks for the first hand account! love these

I liked Few and co.'s adjustments to the Petro post double team, after the first half. Pep tried m2m no help low block and got hammered, dabbled with different rotations 1st half, then went hard second half doubling the post. Few abd co. adjusted quickly and got Petro in more screen roll action and also had him as the hi in the hi lo, it was beautiful after the first half low block pile driver Petro was. Few anticpated Romar/Bone hard Petro low block double team, made them pay for it imo by pulling him away from the block and getting him other looks, coupled with the D that cranks up for spurts and fuels runs in transition
    This is an example of where Few is way ahead of most everybody these days. Switching Petrusev from low to high was a preemptive move that I never would have thought of. I would have kept Filip in the low post and most likely would have burnt him out. Bone would have figured a way to slow him down and the game may have turned on Petrusev’s fatigue and a few empty possessions.

Strangely enough (except in Few’s mind) the hard double of Timme resulted in open looks for Corey and lanes to drive through for Ayayi. Voila...ten point lead.

This is an example of where Few is way ahead of most everybody these days. Switching Petrusev from low to high was a preemptive move that I never would have thought of. I would have kept Filip in the low post and most likely would have burnt him out. Bone would have figured a way to slow him down and the game may have turned on Petrusev’s fatigue and a few empty possessions.

Strangely enough (except in Few’s mind) the hard double of Timme resulted in open looks for Corey and lanes to drive through for Ayayi. Voila...ten point lead.
    Drew knows how to work out of double teams and find the open man.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Drew knows how to work out of double teams and find the open man.
    yes he does. I will bet Few puts in some slashing cuts down the lane next year specifically for Drew to pile up some assists.

We may see Pepperdine again in the WCC Tournament.

we don't have to think of it, it's cool to see it too