Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 89
    Pepperdine 77

Balanced scoring again with all six players hitting double figures. The team was led by Petrusev with 27 followed by Kispert with 19. Petrusev led the team is rebounds with 12. Woolridge had 10 points and 8 rebounds and did a real good job on Ross defensively. Ayayi had 11 points and 6 boards and Timme had 10 and Gilder 11.

Pepperdine put up a good fight throughout. Tillie didn't play and Timme was in foul trouble the first half and sat out about half of it. i'm sure our guys are tired. Pepperdine really beat Petrusev up all night, but he still was so tough and unstoppable. I also thought Kispert played a great game, as he canned 5-8 threes. He was ON FIRE from behind the arch. That was really good to see. We needed them tonight. The Zags shot 47% from behind the arch. Ayai knocked down a couple and Woolridge one.

It wasn't one of our better defensive games, but I think it was planned that way because the team was so thin tonight, and then Timme got in foul trouble. Petrusev seemed to rest somewhat on D but he needed his energy for the offense. It was okay with me. It was a good victory and Pepperdine really wanted it. Real good effort by the depleted Zags.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Sometimes it seems like one team has another's number. We've boatraced Santa Clara and made them look worse than they are... it seems like Pep has got our number to some extent, making the games closer than they should be.

Just what GU needed. Some good post season preparational practice against a slap happy, shot contesting, lane congesting, rim leaping team that will play up tempo and with attitude.

Anyone that thinks the WCC doesn't give adequate post season prep isn't watching.
    Last edited by MickMick; 02-16-2020 at 05:42 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Can you say Ken Bone Wish he was still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    It was a good victory and Pepperdine really wanted it. Real good effort by the depleted Zags.
    Agreed, Reborn. Pepperdine played well in many stretches - we just had more good stretches. Thought Petro was a beast that first half (had a good game all the way through - that fast-break spin move to the hoop was amazing). Good to see Kispert and Ayayi (and Woolridge late) come to life in that 2nd half. I mentioned it in the game thread, but Woolridge seemed a little "off" to me. He spent much of the first half getting rid of the ball before he even crossed half court, and just didn't have that attacking, get-the-defense-on-their-heels, coast-to-coast mentality like we have seen in the past. He still had a decent game, though. Overall, I thought it was a good, tough game - and I was impressed with how calm the guys seemed even when Pepperdine took the lead a couple of times.

This was a tale of 2 very different halves. The Zags, with the notable exception of Petrusev, looked very sluggish in the opening 15 minutes or so of the game. Woolridge looked disinterested the 1st half with several sloppy turnovers and careless passes. To his credit, he did play much better in the 2nd half. Filip carried us on his back the 1st 15 minutes. The 2nd half was much more of the team effort that we have been accustomed to seeing this season as Kispert drilled some 3's and Timme/Gilder/Ayayi came to life. It looked to me that Pepperdine wore down in the last 10 minutes of the game, not surprising given their extremely active defensive effort up to that point. The baskets started coming a lot easier for the Zags over the stretch run to the final horn. I agree with others who commented on the Zags' calmness in the face of some adversity in this game. Finally, winning without Killian on the floor has to be a confidence builder as well. The offense is not nearly as efficient without Tillie in there, the ball just doesn't move like it does when he's on the floor. Spacing seemed out of kilter in that 1st half, but they figured it out in half #2. Good road win with arguably our best player in Tillie confined to the bench. Good thing we only had the 1 game this week with that very short bench.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Waves play zags well. Petru and kispert played great.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Just we GU needed. Some good post season preparational practice against a slap happy, shot contesting, lane congesting, rim leaping team that will play up tempo and with attitude.

Anyone that thinks the WCC doesn't give adequate post season prep isn't watching.
    +1
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

10 Observations from Gonzaga’s win at Pepperdine
    https://www.slipperstillfits.com/pla...-at-pepperdine

I’m picking #9 to quote. Hoping the AP and Coaches polls keep adding more #1 votes for GU. 6 Zags in double figures in a hard fought game .... with Tillie on the bench. The Zags are SOLID.

9. As mentioned in the opening paragraph, Gonzaga’s consistency has been remarkable. Auburn, Louisville and Butler all lost games they were favored to win last night but Gonzaga keeps plugging away winning the games they should. Sure Mizzou, Clemson and Georgetown have a higher KenPom ranking than Pepperdine, but none of the three are higher than St Mary’s or BYU and they are on par with USF and Pacific.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Learning Tillie has reinjured same ankle is really tough news. What do you do at this point? Sit him for extended period and hope to use WCC tourney to get him back in the flow (all of 2 games max) or keep playing him asap and just hope it doesn’t continue happening? Neither seem like great options.

Sorry but the Tillie news is biggest postgame thought I have.

Great seeing this team overcome adversity and just tough out a win. Big week ahead
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

It was fleeting and my eyes may have fooled me -- and I haven't watched the replay to confirm -- but late in the 1H it looked like Zakharov was headed to the scorer's table, only to be called back.

Man, are we thin right now. And I had no idea Filip was sick earlier in the week - glad he got better! Heal up quickly, Tils.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

I just hope Tillie can somehow play next week in Provo. It's a terrible situation. GU really needs to win out to make sure they get the #1 seed in the west. I just do not like the idea of playing Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium North in a possible elite 8 matchup. Moreover, knowing the NCAA and the geography games they play and how they don't stick to a straight S curve, the west region could very well be the easiest region of all. GU needs to stay out west. But by playing him and not allowing him to fully heal, is it worth risking losing Killian for the season??

It's really obvious this team is a very different team with Tillie in the lineup. Especially on the defensive end as he gives GU a defensively versatile big guy. Those guys really did a defensive number on SMC with Killian in the lineup.

There must be a language barrier or an inability right now for Zakharov to not understand the offense or something. This guy was not a project. Some recruiting experts had him as the highest or second highest rated player in GU's 2019 coveted recruiting class. And he's an international player....albeit one who played at Montverde Academy. Part of me feels bad that the guy is not redshirting if they are that unwilling to play him.

Tillie hurt and team is sw16 imo

Tillie plays all march and its a final 4 squad.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post

I agree with your analysis, '11

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

It’s just a different team out there without Tillie. I don’t think they beat BYU without him.

Any updates on Tillie? Missed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post

- I agree
    - also agree zags need to hold onto west's #1 seed..........thus I say if tillie is even 75%, he needs to play against byu in provo.
    - I think sdst wins out, so we cannot afford a loss prior to selection sunday.
    - plus we usually get what around 10-12 days off after the wcc tourney before march madness begins, good time to rest up if need be.

I thought Woolridge’s made three in the second half was big for a number of reasons. It helped stem the tide of the Waves comeback, but even more importantly, it just showed the poise and confidence he has developed. He hadn’t played a particularly good game, he missed his prior two three pointers, yet he step up and shot the next one with confidence and no hesitation. I think that may bode well for future, tough games.

Was that the same officiating crew as the game vs the Dons? It had the same sort of feel, like where one minute Petro gets called for a phantom travel, then later gets away with 4-5 steps with no call. No consistency whatsoever. Too many fouls that shouldn't have been called. Too many fouls that should have been called but weren't. It was equally bad from both teams' perspective, so I'm not whining about them being unfair - I'm whining about them being incompetent.

I thought Arlauskas played a solid 8 minutes. I didn't notice any glaring deficiencies and he set up at least 2 maybe 3 pick and roll plays where he didn't get the pass but was open, one time by a mile.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Default The day after the Game

I just woke up this morning feeling so impressed with the Zags' victory over Pepperdine last night. Pepperdine can be a very tough team and they were last night for sure, and the Zags didn't have Tillie which made it tough on our boys. But they certainly responded big time. Petrusev showed me last night that he is really a tough player, and I've questioned that at times. Without Tillie the team needed him to step up and he did. He had 20 first half points, and none of them came easy. He was double and triple teamed every time he touched the ball. And they were really fouling him hard and he took it all in stride.

And Kispert showed us that he is a great leader of this team. His play was so solid last night. At times I found myself asking myself "is that Corey Kispert?" Yeah I was watching the game a lone. hahaha THE game last night was a battle for sure. Pepperdine came to play, and they came to beat us. They played GREAT. Because of their play Gonzaga had to step up to THEIR level of play. And Corey led the charge. He made five of 8 three pointers and it seemed like every one of them was needed to fend off the attacking Waves. And it wasn't just his shooting, but his all around play, 5 assists and 6 rebounds and much better defense than I've seen from him.

Kispert really seemed to steady the team as his play seemed to bring out their confidence. Suddenly, in the second half, the Zags seemed more like themselves. They began to look like the team we know and love so much. AYAYI suddenly seemed to wake up from a two week spell and began scoring at will. He scored all 11 of his points in the second half and two of them were 3 pointers. It WAS good to see him score again. Woolridge hit a beautiful 3 pointer which seemed to repulse the Waves. His 3 pointer put the Zags on cruise control the west of the way. I didn't say much about Gilder but he did get his double figures as he scored 11. My biggest memory of him is that he always seemed to end up guarding their 6'11' center in the low post. Something seemed wrong with that. However, he too is one tough guy. I'm so glad we have him. I believe his toughness has rubbed off on the others.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I didn't say much about Gilder but he did get his double figures as he scored 11. My biggest memory of him is that he always seemed to end up guarding their 6'11' center in the low post. Something seemed wrong with that.
    I'm sure Pepperdine wishes they had anyone over 6'9" and 200lb. It would have helped vs Petrusev. But they don't.

Here's a condensed game:

What I loved most about Woolridge's 3 from the left wing is that he'd missed two wide-open 3s from the same spot earlier in the game, but didn't hesitate to take the big shot when it came to him in the flow of the offense. That kind of confidence is tough to teach.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    It was fleeting and my eyes may have fooled me -- and I haven't watched the replay to confirm -- but late in the 1H it looked like Zakharov was headed to the scorer's table, only to be called back.

Man, are we thin right now. And I had no idea Filip was sick earlier in the week - glad he got better! Heal up quickly, Tils.
    Yeah I saw it too gc. About 1:30 before end of half?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

[QUOTE=zaguarxj;1504861]Was that the same officiating crew as the game vs the Dons?

Just the one guy.

And per kenpom, 2 of them do very few D1 games a season.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    What I loved most about Woolridge's 3 from the left wing is that he'd missed two wide-open 3s from the same spot earlier in the game, but didn't hesitate to take the big shot when it came to him in the flow of the offense. That kind of confidence is tough to teach.
    When Wooly started to launch that 3, I said "No, no, NO". As it swished through, I recalibrated and yelled "Yes, sweet Jesus, great shot"! From "full-throated deny-er" to "on my knees convert" in less than 1 second. Ain't college basketball great?
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut