• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Matt Norlander Returns Zags to Top Spot

Gonzaga
    ⤴️ Previous: No. 2 | Gonzaga's laughably easily 90-60 win at 20-6 Saint Mary's convinced me to join Gary Parrish and rank the Zags No. 1 once more. The 25-1 Zags are the No. 1-ranked offense in college basketball and are beating opponents by an average of 21.7 points. If Gonzaga can hold off Dayton to have the best offensive efficiency in college basketball, it will rank No. 1 in back-to-back years. Across 21 seasons as Gonzaga's coach, Mark Few has had the No. 16 offense on average, which is an impressively high number, regardless of conference. GU has never been worse than 45th.

Baylor
    ⤵️ Previous: No. 1 | Winning streaks do not prevent you from falling in these here power rankings. Baylor (22-1) remains the No. 1 team in both polls, but it takes a one-slot slip here on the heels of -- for the first time this season -- playing back-to-back games in which it played down to its competition. BU won by eight at home in a sloppy game over the weekend against last-place Oklahoma State, then won 52-45 against Texas, in just a hideous game. But in terms of résumé, no doubt the Bears are an easy No. 1 overall.
    The BU-Texas game was hideous. Texas' offense is painful to watch...if I can see it, I wonder what the big money boosters are thinking.
  • Markburn1
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...isville-slips/

The BU-Texas game was hideous. Texas' offense is painful to watch...if I can see it, I wonder what the big money boosters are thinking.
    Probably thinking Rick Barnes and making the tournament every year aint so bad after all.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

Great thinking, Matt. I love how CBS thinks (vs ESPN) all the way around.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...isville-slips/

Haven't they had injuries this season? Shaka has recruited well since his arrival...i.e Hepa...we wanted him badly and he just has not panned out...might be too warm in Texas...

Guess boosters are not happy and could be Shaka might be looking for another gig here shortly...

Comment

• Zagger
          Banned
          • Mar 2008

Good
          Now let’s kick butt in Malibu!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
            Haven't they had injuries this season? Shaka has recruited well since his arrival...i.e Hepa...we wanted him badly and he just has not panned out...might be too warm in Texas...

Guess boosters are not happy and could be Shaka might be looking for another gig here shortly...
            A couple of interesting takes on the Texas basketball program and head coach Shaka Smart surfaced on the broadcast of last night's game vs. Baylor.

However, one of the commentators in the Feb. 10 win for Baylor on the Forty Acres over the Texas Longhorns basketball program reportedly went in on the coaching situation surrounding Smart. Fran Fraschilla had plenty to say in general about the Longhorns athletic department and how it’s not meeting the standard of success that it usually set in the past.

Here’s what Fraschilla had to say on the matter of the Longhorn men’s basketball coaching situation in the fifth year under Smart’s direction.

I’d be shocked if they get a guy like Chris Beard to leave Texas Tech. He’s (Smart) got a young team, he’s had some injuries. You gotta tell me who you’d hire before you make a coaching change, especially if you’re going to pay the man 10 million.
            Here’s what else Fraschilla had to say on the matter of Texas athletics at this point in time.

Texas has been in the past about excellence, and let’s be honest: Most of their major sports are not very good right now. 7-5 in football doesn’t cut it. Women’s basketball is OK, baseball is horrible. That’s not Texas athletics.
            That’s a rough set of quotes considering Fraschilla was just covering the Longhorns basketball program taking on Baylor in a Monday night showdown at home. Texas didn’t really get blown out by Baylor, but he still decided to give his take on how bad the women’s basketball and baseball programs are doing at the same time.

Is there a coach that the Longhorns could snag right now that’s better than Smart?

There’s such a large talent pool to draw off of in college basketball that Texas would be able to find someone that could get them into the NCAA Tournament in more than two out of five seasons. Fraschilla was wrong on that point that they couldn’t find really anyone right now that could do that while keeping his program in good shape off the court.

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

"There’s such a large talent pool to draw off of in college basketball that Texas would be able to find someone that could get them into the NCAA Tournament in more than two out of five seasons. Fraschilla was wrong on that point that they couldn’t find really anyone right now that could do that while keeping his program in good shape off the court."

Give Kyle Smith another year or two at Washington State and I think he would be someone to look at.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

One thing to note about the Texas Longhorn basketball program is that they are building a brand new, state of the art arena to replace the Frank Erwin Center. So whoever the coach is at Texas, he will have that to sell...….

Fran, BTW, is a Dallas resident...….

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2009

IMO this needs to stop. We are sitting in a great spot as a dissed #2 with something to prove. Don't take away the fuel writers.
                  The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

Working...
                  X