Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Championship Contenders Once Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Absolutely. I'm actually making the trip to Malibu. Should be fun.
    Watching THIS team on TV is so much fun. I can only imagine what it would be like to watch them in person. I can only imagine. I can only imagine. Have a ball.

Having said that, and knowing how much I love this team, I am not ready to talk about National Championship & the Final 4 just yet. There is a lot of basketball left, and the Zags have some really tough games ahead of them. What is so good about this team is how they have that ability to STAY IN THE MOMENT and therefore, I know they are not looking past Pepperdine. They want to crush Pepperdine, and I believe they will.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Watching THIS team on TV is so much fun. I can only imagine what it would be like to watch them in person. I can only imagine. I can only imagine. Have a ball.

Having said that, and knowing how much I love this team, I am not ready to talk about National Championship & the Final 4 just yet. There is a lot of basketball left, and the Zags have some really tough games ahead of them. What is so good about this team is how they have that ability to STAY IN THE MOMENT and therefore, I know they are not looking past Pepperdine. They want to crush Pepperdine, and I believe they will.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn. I usually go to three or four games a year. I've seen them all up and down the west coast. This year I have been to Tuscon and will be in Malibu. I've also got tickets to the WCC tournament in Las Vegas. I am blessed beyond belief to be able to do this.

You are correct. Watching them on TV is really fun. Seeing them in person is incredible. It's a different perspective. I remember watching Gary Bell play defense in person for the first time. I knew he was a really good defensive player from watching on TV, but seeing him firsthand was crazy. The intensity was ridiculous.

The bonus? My son travels with me.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    People also have to understand that GU has 7 double digit scorers. Also fatigue should never be an issue in the NCAA tournament because the games are spaced and also because timeouts/half are excessively long. I don't think I have seen Gonzaga look "tired" in a NCAA tourney game, and they have played in a number of high elevation games. I have seen them make "other" teams look tired. Like when Seton Hall started resorting to the use of oxygen masks when they couldn't keep with the run and gun Bulldogs.
    Zags gassed vs purdue way back when and few said so.
    Love the zags for life

But not this season and not with this group of athletes.

Even with a 7-8 man rotation Gonzaga seems to always be in better shape than the other teams. More than once in the tournament I get disappointed with the tv timeouts. Zags will have a team on the ropes, running them in the ground, and the timeouts come.

It will be more evident this year with Ryan pushing the ball. Most teams are not used to such a high tempo offence. Gonzaga has reduced the effectiveness of the opponent's bigs on D this year by pushing the ball and scoring before they even get back. Filip running the floor really puts pressure on their bigs too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    ...... What is so good about this team is how they have that ability to STAY IN THE MOMENT and therefore, I know they are not looking past Pepperdine. They want to crush Pepperdine, and I believe they will.
    Go Zags!!!
    I like the STAY IN THE MOMENT part It is that ability to be up for the task at hand that is one of the traits characterizing these Zags. As much as I like envisioning GU winning a Nats we know that all these other superlatives that have the Zags @ a strong #2 w/ lots of #1 votes really only gives them a better pathway to a Nats. Each game they win (and hopefully win well while staying healthy) positions them to get to THE moment. These Zags are pretty darn determined and 25 -1 with such a high win margin is solid evidence for that. For me it’s a privilege to have a hometown program that strives for what it takes to keep playing together for as long as possible. This Bleacher Report story laid out facts to that end pretty thoughtfully.

Lucky for the Mrs & I we have tickets for the remaining home games and get to go to Vegas. After that we’re ticketless .... so far. I think this season is special in that with guys like Ryan, Killian and Admon who know it is definitely their last season as a Zag that they have a solid opportunity to keep playing together far more than most D1 teams do. Any loss after Vegas is their last game. Keeping that camaraderie going has got to be one heck of a motivator.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I have to believe that Ryan Woolridge is loving his moment as a Zag. Getting to transfer in and play at such a high level, and play such a key role, for the Real #1 Team in American (trademark pending) has to be an amazing experience. You can use your rose metaphor of choice, but they probably all apply to him, as it has to be all roses for him this year from a basketball career perspective. I would guess that Admon, who almost saw his basketball career vanish with injury, is in a similar position (although tempered by not starting).

Coach Few gave all of the credit for the team's success this year to the players. This does truly seem to be a special group of guys. I was worried that team culture would take a hit with all of the players leaving last year, but they seem to have kept it going. It has been such a great, surprising year. If anyone hasn't listened to it, that SVP podcast interview was great; Mark Few was very candid about his expectations this year and how they exceeded them.