Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Championship Contenders Once Again?

Default National Championship Contenders Once Again?

Gonzaga Cementing Itself as a Top Candidate for National Championship Once Again

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...again.amp.html

For the third time in four seasons, it's becoming increasingly difficult in the middle of February to come up with any reason not to pick Gonzaga to win the men's college basketball national championship.#
    And with all due respect to San Diego State's Brian Dutcher, Penn State's Pat Chambers and Baylor's Scott Drew, Mark Few deserves to be the runaway favorite for 2019-20#Naismith College Coach of the Year for making this particular pack of Bulldogs one of the top title candidates.
    More at the link .....

After the Zags beatdown of SMC @ SMC I’m getting pretty darn eager to fill out my bracket and enter a few different pools with it ... all w/ the Zags on top. Yes, still games to go. How well the Zags do against Pepperdine on Saturday after a first 2020 meeting being a close 75-70 w/ lots of lead changes at home (and Killian scoring 20) will tell if the SMC game was a fluke. I certainly do not expect the Zags to maintain 60+% shooting but .... a 20-30 point win in Malibu would be sweet.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Truly a team. Never a drop off after subs come in, any subs. Often, the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Truly a team. Never a drop off after subs come in, any subs. Often, the reverse.
    I wouldn’t say they improve with the bench nor would I say they drop off. Instead they just become about the same skill level but play differently. Everyone brings a unique twist within Few’s system
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

If I recall properly, the scroll on ESPN had GU as the third most likely team to win it all. KU odds were 7:1, Duke 15:2 (7.5:1), GU 9:1, and Baylor 10:1. The rest of the pack was double digits.

Vegas Insider has GU tied with KU at 7:1. Odds Shark has GU in the top tier at 1000+, tied with KU, Baylor and others.

It's all over the place, but GU is right up there with the best of the best.

The article certainly makes some good arguments ..... point margin is one.

The Bulldogs didn't even skip a beat and might be a bigger threat to win it all than they were as a No. 1 seed one year ago.

Last season, Gonzaga led the nation at 87.6 points per game and had an average scoring margin of 22.7 points per game. The next-closest team in that latter category was Wofford at 16.7. Take it with a West Coast Conference grain of salt if you so choose, but it was still a ridiculous display of dominance on a nightly basis.

Now, lather, rinse and repeat.

Gonzaga is No. 1 in scoring at 88.5 points per game this year, and even undefeated San Diego State (plus-17.5 PPG) isn't a close first runner-up to the Zags' average scoring margin of 21.6 points.
    Consider this: Gonzaga could lose its next game by 87 points, and it would still lead the nation in average scoring margin

I’m ignored when I say this is. “Title Team”. If a few we have now stay next year. That team will be as well. Lol “I been abused” lol go Zags!!

This team goes exactly 7 deep. Pretty thin for a championship team...

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...f-the-ncaa-to/

Not really. We'd like 8 but we have Pavelt ospell the bigs and 4 solid guard ( including Corey). When it comes to the end of the season, most teams pick their top 7-8 kids and go with them till season's end. I think LUCK and a cm here or there (barring injuries) is the thing we need. These kids on this years team have the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    This team goes exactly 7 deep. Pretty thin for a championship team...
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401123374

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...villanova.html

Check the box scores. It's actually pretty typical for the top teams to narrow their rotations to 7 or at most eight when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

Except for Florida State. They go with a nineteen man rotation.

Coach K and Duke almost always widdle down their rotation to 7.5 players come March Madness. One guard and one big man off the bench, and a .5 guy to put in before timeouts and at the end of the half. Even the famous UK team that went unbeaten until the national semis that ran 10 deep....Calipari chopped down that rotation too come March Madness.

The thing that concerns me about the depth is what Few has been saying all year. Nagging injuries, and this curse that Tillie seems to have where he gets hurt every 5th game. They cannot afford a single injury to any of their rotation players. Each guy is vital. I remember when Roy Williams held out Ty Lawson for the first game and for most of the second game in 2009. Zags cannot afford anything like that.

The tv announcers never talk about it but I think this team would be a lot stronger if we had not lost Anton. Boy that hurts. That said, we are pretty darn good!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    The tv announcers never talk about it but I think this team would be a lot stronger if we had not lost Anton. Boy that hurts. That said, we are pretty darn good!
    It would seem so. But maybe Timme and Gilder don’t emerge as magnificently as they have with less PT if Watty was gobbling up 20-25 mins.

It would seem that to get the playing time beyond garbage minutes with Few, there is a threshold. Timme/Anton when he was healthy/Gilder all pass the test... Martynas seems to have passed some of the tests as he occasionally gets more minutes. JMHO, from what I have seen of Martynas, it would seem the biggest hurdle for most is the system itself. He plays with passion, no doubt about that, but within the flow of the team when he is on the court it gets a bit disjointed. That will come with time.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It would seem so. But maybe Timme and Gilder don’t emerge as magnificently as they have with less PT if Watty was gobbling up 20-25 mins.
    True story. But, can't argue that Watson was looking like a stud before the first shoulder separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401123374

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...villanova.html

Check the box scores. It's actually pretty typical for the top teams to narrow their rotations to 7 or at most eight when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

Except for Florida State. They go with a nineteen man rotation.

But counterintuitively they have better 1st half point margins than 2nd half point margins.

(if anyone out there in Zag Land recorded the FSU game frmo last march, I'd love a copy. It was Perkins' last win as a Zag and perhaps his best game as well.)

People also have to understand that GU has 7 double digit scorers. Also fatigue should never be an issue in the NCAA tournament because the games are spaced and also because timeouts/half are excessively long. I don't think I have seen Gonzaga look "tired" in a NCAA tourney game, and they have played in a number of high elevation games. I have seen them make "other" teams look tired. Like when Seton Hall started resorting to the use of oxygen masks when they couldn't keep with the run and gun Bulldogs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    People also have to understand that GU has 7 double digit scorers. Also fatigue should never be an issue in the NCAA tournament because the games are spaced and also because timeouts/half are excessively long. I don't think I have seen Gonzaga look "tired" in a NCAA tourney game, and they have played in a number of high elevation games. I have seen them make "other" teams look tired. Like when Seton Hall started resorting to the use of oxygen masks when they couldn't keep with the run and gun Bulldogs.
    I agree. There is no air hunger with this group. We don't know some because this is their first year . Few somehow found a group of guys that perform nightly beyond expectations . They don't seem to tire out They just run and shoot well and now that the defense is coming around, we have a very good shot if the wind is at our backs come tourney time. I don't think Michigan would be within 10-20 pts of this team if we played them again. But, that's what happens when a team develops. We've done a huge job getting these stars to form a team. I do agree that if we had Watson for this year, we've have better backup. He was developing so nicely then BOOM! Every thing happens for a reason........some luck and we'll be in the FF again.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I agree for the most part. The one game where the team looked absolutely gassed to me was against Wichita State. I can’t recall but didn’t Gary Bell miss some time in that one? The impact on the rotation seemed to have an adverse effect on overall team stamina
    Last edited by MickMick; 02-14-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I agree for the most part. The one game where the team looked absolutely gassed to me was against Wichita State. I can’t recall but didn’t Gary Bell miss some time in that one? The impact on the rotation seemed to have a adverse effect on overall team stamina
    Bell went down with an injury, and after that the Shockers couldn't miss from 3.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

An injury is the number one threat. An injury to Tillie, Gilder or Woolridge would be debilitating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Bell went down with an injury, and after that the Shockers couldn't miss from 3.
    If I remember correctly, they went 10-8 from 3 for the rest of the game. lol

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    If I remember correctly, they went 10-8 from 3 for the rest of the game. lol
    The Shockers were 50 percent from the field and hit on 14-of-26 attempts from beyond the arc. That helped them overcome a whopping 20 offensive rebounds by Gonzaga, which was surprising, considering Gregg Marshall's team is typically solid on the boards.

Kelly Olynyk predictably led the way for the Bulldogs. He notched a game-high 26 points, and six of his nine rebounds were on the offensive glass.

Wichita State made its last seven three-point attempts to combat clutch shooting by the Zags' Kevin Pangos, who poured in 19 points. Fred Van Vleet made only 13 three-pointers prior to this game, but his trey with just over a minute left put the Shockers on top, 70-65.

Saturday marked the first loss for Gonzaga in nine weeks, as its 15-game winning streak was snapped.

After getting to the free-throw line 41 times against Pittsburgh in the second round, the Shockers were simply lethal from the perimeter.

If I didn't know better, I would think you guys are trying to cause cold sweats and nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    If I didn't know better, I would think you guys are trying to cause cold sweats and nightmares.
    Think Saturday & Pepperdine

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Think Saturday & Pepperdine
    Absolutely. I'm actually making the trip to Malibu. Should be fun.