Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kispert the team's best player?

Default Is Kispert the team's best player?

Saw this on twitter from Sam Vecenie and thought it was an interesting take:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...852911617?s=20

1st tweet:
    "My take on Gonzaga is that I think Corey Kispert is their best player. Have to account for him all the time. He hits 44% from 3 while averaging 14. Solid defense. Their net rating differential with him on the floor is +10.2 (per @AnalyticsPivot). No other Zag is above +5.6."

2nd tweet:
    "I know Petrusev is getting the love, and he’s also really good. But when Drew Timme comes in, you see that the system is definitely somewhat designed for bigs to succeed statistically. I think Kispert’s all-around wing game is the most important part of what makes them work."

Does anyone else think Kispert is our best player? If not who do you think holds that title and why?
    Last edited by hockeyzag; 02-12-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Default Kispert

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Saw this on twitter from Sam Vecenie and thought it was an interesting take:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...852911617?s=20

1st tweet:
    "My take on Gonzaga is that I think Corey Kispert is their best player. Have to account for him all the time. He hits 44% from 3 while averaging 14. Solid defense. Their net rating differential with him on the floor is +10.2 (per @AnalyticsPivot). No other Zag is above +5.6."

2nd tweet:
    "I know Petrusev is getting the love, and he’s also really good. But when Drew Timme comes in, you see that the system is definitely somewhat designed for bigs to succeed statistically. I think Kispert’s all-around wing game is the most important part of what makes them work."

Does anyone else think Kispert is our best player? If not who do you think holds that title and why?
    ESPN draft has Kispert rated as the highest Zag player on this years team.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable
    Last edited by FlyZag; 02-12-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added link

Tils, not close. Sam found need to derogate both Petro and Timme as system beneficiaries to make his pro Kispert point. Too bad. Absent a healthy Tils, right now Gilder may be best performing Zag. But it’s fluid.

I still go Tillie then Kispert but really excited about the year Corey's had and hopefully it leads to NBA opportunities.

My personal opinion....no, he isn't.

One random observation as I peruse the info in that link...Ayayi is not even listed in the Top 100. I'd seen him projected as a possible LATE FIRST ROUND PICK on some boards 6-8 weeks ago.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

When healthy Tillie is the best all around player. The great thing about this team is the best player on any given night can be any of the 7. We dont have a superstar but there really isnt any drop off with Gilder or Timme coming in either. I do think Kispert is great for spreading the floor, he doesn't really make mistakes, and he is much improved on D. He also is unique on this team, there are 3 gaurds and 3 bigs, but he is really the only small forward type. He has the height and muscle to move down to the 4 when needed but mostly plays out on the wing. Also can be a vocal leader that is needed for this team.

No.

But he's exceeding my stated expectations for the year and has been great. Given his excellent FT shooting and pretty big body, I wish he'd drive more and use contact to get to the line.

No, Woolridge is the best player on this team.

This is based on replacement right? He's the only starter that doesn't have a true backup at his position. So when he comes out the team looks very different than it does when any of the other starters sit, which I think plays a huge part in the replacement stats. It also shows to me that the 3 guard lineup we use when he is out is not very efficient.

To me Kispert is a hard nut to crack. There are times when he makes baskets through traffic that are simply awesome - as if everyone else’s actions have slowed down. Then other times he drives straight into an offensive foul. He also at times seems to have his mind elsewhere. When he focuses he’s great. I feel he’s not the best but could be if he were more consistent. I feel he is continually improving and will be at his best in March.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

No. I believe Tillie is, but not by as far as Jazz thinks. This is indeed a team with 7 really good players.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Corey's improved so much, on some nights his play is the best. It's hard to say he's the best because of his position. Woolridge is the best guard but then comes Gilder on some nights. Bigs? Take your pick......Tillie is our best big when he plays. Otherwise it's likely Petrusev when he's engaged and focused.

Corey's the best wing. Defense needs work as he has slower feet sometimes and his response time is longer than it should be. I do think he's our on court leader. Very nice kid. at 6 ft 7 in, next year he'll be an all star with his shooting. Must fix his defense though.

It's a tie between Corey and Flip

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comparing Corey to Killian is apples and oranges. Both are really good at their respective assignments. Woolridge role cannot be ignored. His spark and energy is special and he can turn a game around.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I love Corey, but how do you define best? He's a solid starter, but Petrol also is a dominant force. I'd say it's a tie between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    My personal opinion....no, he isn't.

One random observation as I peruse the info in that link...Ayayi is not even listed in the Top 100. I'd seen him projected as a possible LATE FIRST ROUND PICK on some boards 6-8 weeks ago.

Well what about your impersonable opinion???

I don't think we have a "best player" at this time as we have "7" players averaging 10+ points per game...

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I love Corey, but how do you define best? He's a solid starter, but Petrol also is a dominant force. I'd say it's a tie between the two.
    Agree but kispert is the lone player who routinely is asked to do

Point guard duties
    Wing duties
    Post duties

Which because of this added flexibility he is ahead of others imo
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

A healthy Tillie by a mile. Just compare the last six games. The three he missed vs the three he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    A healthy Tillie by a mile. Just compare the last six games. The three he missed vs the three he played.
    yes, but playing the devils advocate, what if it had been Corey that missed those games not Killian….

Tillie and it isn't really close. I would feel a lot better playing a tournament game without Kispert vs missing Tillie. He is our best offensive and defensive player. Corey is so important to this team because of his shooting and knowledge of the system as well as intangibles, but Admon may be our best backcourt player right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I don't think we have a "best player" at this time as we have "7" players averaging 10+ points per game...
    I don't feel we should even pick or debate a best player. Basketball is a team sport and it seems rare in today's college game that the pronounced best player is more important than a "well-oiled" team of players.

As noted, the Zag7 each average 10+ points per game, and each Zag7 has had one or more 20-point game (just in the past 7 weeks!) How do you plan and execute a defense for that "scoring machine"? Go Zags!

There's only one player the Zags can not afford to lose and that's Woolridge. He might not be the most talented or the most dangerous offensive weapon but he is the MIP, in that it would be a disaster if he was injured. On the other hand, Gilder could fill-in for Kispert without any drop-off, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowkane View Post
    No, Woolridge is the best player on this team.
    I'll have what he's having. Can you cut down the portion a little, though?

Put another way, who could we least afford to lose? I say nobody. I agree, in this type of team there is no "best player". it's the TEAM that works so well together Moot point really.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    yes, but playing the devils advocate, what if it had been Corey that missed those games not Killian….
    We've had games where CK was functionally missing from the team: The 3 game stretch just before Bahamas where he went 3-17 from 3, and scored 10 total points. It didn't impact the team, in my view, to the extent that losing Woolridge (or Tillie) would. Those 3 games were an away game at Texas A&M, a close home game vs UT Arlington, and a blowout vs CS Bakersfield.