Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #15/15 Gonzaga WBB Hosts San Francisco in PINK Game Thursday at 6pm

IMO, the game against USF was, depending on how you look at it, a glass half full or a glass half empty.

For the glass is half full crowd, the defense was much improved over the St. Mary's effort. Generally speaking, there were a lot fewer instances when opposing players got wide open shots. Yes, both of the Truong's lost their player on more than one occasion, AV certainly did not make the appropriate switch a couple of times. But to be fair, JT and both Wirth's dropped the ball on an equal number of occasions. Sometimes, I believe that the starters were hedging to help cover the back-ups in case they made a mistake and ended up not covering their player. As the starters become more familiar with the back-ups, there should be a lot less hedging and even fewer wide open shots.

For the glass is half empty crowd, I personally did not like our offense yesterday much at all. Considering how well we played offense against Pacific and the last 3 quarters against St. Mary's, yesterday's offense was of the humble, bumble, and stumble variety. It certainly did not flow as smooth and as fast as it did against Pacific. There was a lot of hesitation in taking wide open shots. Only LF seemed to be willing to take a shot if her shot was wide open. Everybody else seemed turn down the open shot to make the extra pass, which frequently led to a much worse shot later in the shot clock. Both Truong's have no problem attempting the difficult pass, sometimes an ill-advised pass. However, the entire frontcourt had "hands of stone" (boxing reference) yesterday dropping passes that hit them in the hands, body (at the waist or above), etc. Much like the days of John Stockton when he was trying to make the Olympic team as a college graduate, the frontcourt guys were not expecting the pass because they did not believe anybody could get them the ball. I think our frontcourt did not think the Truong's could get the pass to them and hence were not looking for it. Not the Truong's fault, frontcourt needs to be looking for the ball at all times.

Keep the defensive intensity up, and the upperclassman starters need to have some faith in the freshman. Don't let your player get a lay-up because you are worried about helping a Truong, LF or AV. You might be surprised by how well they play. Offensively, we had another very slow start. We need to start faster, so were are not on our heels. If you have an open shot, take the open shot and crash the boards. We know you can do it, we saw what is possible in the game against Pacific.

Let's cut down the nets, Zags.

ZagDad

I like to stay on the half full side... but after watching the replay of the game, I agree with ZD on the passing up of open shots and the late passes. I know they have locations they like to shoot from, and work for open looks from thoughs locations. But by now, I would think everyone knows thoughs locations.

As in years past... It seems to take a couple of games to get back on top of their game after a loss. I hope that they come out loose and ready to have some fun.

So did anyone notice how rough the play was in the last game? Did anyone enjoy watching the no blood no foul? On the last GU basket, Ava made the basket with a SF player literally wrapping her arms around her. The official was almost close enough to touch them. Kinda sad how the game has been allowed to become that way.

It’s almost... if you can’t beat them, beat them. I can tell the GU players would rather play the game of basketball.

Santa Clara is in town, say hi to Taelor Karr.

Go Zags!!

"I agree with ZD on the passing up of open shots and the late passes"

like I said up thread, they were afraid of making a mistake and afraid to shoot.....very tentative.....that won't last....CLF and coaches will see to that...

as far as the Truongs, I have absolutely no complaints.....once in a while as I remember over the season, they'll make ill advised passes, but mostly, the receiver is just not looking nor anticipating it and that is on them, not the passer....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    ...like I said up thread, they were afraid of making a mistake and afraid to shoot.....very tentative.....that won't last....CLF and coaches will see to that...

as far as the Truongs, I have absolutely no complaints.....once in a while as I remember over the season, they'll make ill advised passes, but mostly, the receiver is just not looking nor anticipating it and that is on them, not the passer....
    The problem is this same team played lights out against Pacific and played really pretty well the last 3 quarters of St. Mary's on the offensive side of the ball. I think it is the coaching staff who puts the brakes on taking the early, open shot, wanting to make the extra pass and start inside out. If you have a 2 on 2 fast break and have an open 3 or a open shot from the elbow, or a lay-up, take it. When this team was averaging over 70 points a game, it was a free flowing offense with very few stagnant half-court possessions that take most of the shot clock. CLF needs to let this team play like they did against Pacific and not handcuff the team. This entire year the half court offense has been very hot and cold and yet CLF insists on that extra pass to the inside man no matter how many people are guarding the post.

Unfortunately for the Truongs, the ill-advised pass happens more than once in a while, but for sure, the bigs are not paying attention and many of the turnovers are due to the fact the frontcourt is not ready for the pass. The Truongs also make the freshman mistakes of believing they are the best ball handlers on the floor and get their pocket picked or they try to drive between a double team and lose the ball. It happens, and will happen less with more playing time. I am much less concerned with the Truongs offense than I am with their defense. They tend to lose the player they are guarding much more than KC did and thus either leaves someone wide open or forces another Lady Zag to provide help defense leaving somebody else open. Once again, more playing time will significantly reduce these errors and will provide more trust by the upperclassman.

I also really liked how AV got made and actually made a couple of very good offensive plays that took advantage of her skills and height. She still needs a lot of work on her defensive guarding skills, but with more time on the court, she could provide some much needed offense when the Wirths are on the bench.

Play with defensive intensity for 4 quarters tomorrow and hopefully CLF will turn the offense loose and we can cut the nets down tomorrow afternoon.

Go Zags,

ZagDad