Thread: TIME TO VENTURE INTO NEW CHALLENGES, DONS AND BRONCOS PRESENT THAT OPPORTUNITY.

Default TIME TO VENTURE INTO NEW CHALLENGES, DONS AND BRONCOS PRESENT THAT OPPORTUNITY.

Its time to teach the full court press to a new generation of players. That right I'm talking about Kayleigh and Kaylynn Truong.

The San Francisco Dons present that opportunity more than any other team in the WCC. Simply put their only ball handler is out injured. Imagine your best ball handler being Louise and often is might even be Jenn and Leeanne bringing the ball up the court. Can they dribble the ball up the court if not tested sure anyone can. Anytime a full court press is put in against the Dons it turns into turnovers or 10 second violations.

Our staple for many years now has been the full court press and the trap think Jazzy Redmond, Elle Tinkle, Keanna Albanez, Haiden Palmer, and the list goes on and on. Its time to bring the Truong twins into the ZAG tradition specialty. Against the Dons I would full court press the whole first half with (one Truong, & Jessie), or (two Truongs). Why did I choose the Truong twins because if they poke the ball away they can react and get that ball etc.

Jenn or Leeanne Wirth or Melody should not be used in a full court press.

Louise she should be a fast runner or quick (per CLF her Freshman Year), just don't seem to have the reaction time to respond after poking a ball away, she just watchs it. Also Louise has a higher tendency to foul.

I would have Jill in the more half court area where she could move across to help.

Bottom line the Dons are extremely vunerable to the full court press heard that from their own broadcaster. Its time for the Truongs to grow into the Zag tradition of full court press, it will be their job big time next year no Jessie or Katie. Now is the time to learn.

Perhaps CLF can develop Louise like she did Katie, certainly would love to see her as part of traps and full court press in the future, but thats all on CLF.

Now lets talk about our 1st opponent SF the Dons have been improving. By far their most improved player is #34 Vigil (5'10") a transfer Sophomore. This week #34 Vigil was named WCC player of the
    week. Vigil #34 in last 2 games respectively she was 7-10 FG & 7-14 FG. In Vigil #34 last game she was also 13-15 at the free throw line. What does that tell you Vigil loves taking it to the hoop.

The Dons have 2 other weapons #00 Williams (6'0") averaging 14.8 Pts and 9 rebounds a game and #13 Hoskova (5'10) averaging 14.8 Pts a game, 37% on 3 pointers.

Another interesting stat #34 Vigil and #00 Williams are leading the WCC in offensive rebounds, thats right they are one and two. These two ladies know how to hit the offensive boards.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-11-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Part II 2nd game of the week against the Santa Clara Broncos very limited roster only two players stick out to me.

#11 Tia Hay (5'7") is back from her injury, and 2 games ago she was 9-17 FG and 5-9 on 3 pointers.

#25 Emily Wolph (5'5") most improved last 3 games she has scored 17,10, and 24 points. Last game 6-9 on 3 pointers.

I would also do a full court press against the Broncos in the 1st half, did you notice the size of these two guards perfect match up.

Another reason to do the full court press against the Dons and Broncos is our next 3 games are against the worst 3 teams in the leagues. Thus CLF and coaching staff now is the time to groom the Troungs and yes even Louise into the full court press and trap.

Against good teams defense can make the difference it time for the learning curve to begin. The Zags are not going to win on just offense alone against the good teams or even average teams.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-11-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Ok time to talk about the Zags asst. coaches

1. Craig Fortier I am used to hearing him getting all the credit for the bigs performance on interviews after the game by broadcaster because he's in charge of the bigs and deservedly so right.

Asst. Coach Craig Fortier how can players 6'3" get dominated by players on other teams sometimes up to 5" shorter in height or players who can hardly leave the ground when jumping?

Next question Craig how can a player 6'5" after 2 years of practice with the Zags not know how to get in position for rebounds, or play defense, and can't score inside?

Craig why in recent games do I see one of the Wirth twins more and more getting the ball past to them beyond the 3 point line?

Craig how can all 3 of our bigs get practically shut down the same game? Craig how can a team with our height be held to 20 rebounds in a game?

2. Jordan Green do you work with the bigs also?

3. Stacy Clinesmith where have you gone you have all but become invisible in the media. I know your in charge of the guards and Jessie, Katie and tons of previous guards success and accolades have deservingly gone your way.

Question Stacy why did we do no full court press last game, and very little attempts at trapping?

We have had a long year this year practicing starting with Europe, so the Truong's should know how to do a full court press by now shouldn't they? Wouldn't it be great to see the Throng's full court pressing together working in tandem?

Stacy this year we are seeing Louise scoring a lot from the 3 point line and a few inside jumpers, do you think she can develop in other areas like Katie? Can Louise be taught how to full court press?

By the way Stacy in previous years really enjoyed your interviews given after the game, you did a great job.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-11-2020 at 08:23 AM.

I am going to disagree a bit ZAB (surprised??).

St. Mary's shot lights out and we played poorly on both sides of the ball and yet still only lost by 10 in their gym. Wholesale changes in the team and team play are not required. Simply execute the game plan on both sides of the ball, and these games are ours for the taking.

Do you think we need to full-court press either USF or SCU to beat these two teams? I don't.

While the full court press can lead to turnovers and points off turnovers. Also it can lead to lay-ups by the opposing team if they break the press easily. With our defense (last Saturday not withstanding) why would you want to give the opposing team any chance at cheap, easy shots (particularly in our gym). Make them work for every basket. If you have a solid double digit lead, and want to train the freshman with a full court press where some easy lay-ups will not hurt you, fine, I am all for it. We may need to implement the full-court press at sometime later this year. I really do not see it as a major part of this week's game plan.

Use the half-court press to get the opposition to use up some of the shot clock getting the ball up court and giving your defense time to get back and set up (cover the perimeter this week). It is much easier to play smothering defense if you only have to play defense for 15-20 seconds or less.

A couple of improvements in our defense for this week. Get your fannies out to the perimeter and guard the 3 point line. Playing 3-5 feet off the player and not even having your hands up is not guarding the player. Two Middle School BB concepts that everybody is taught. Stop the person with the ball and make them make the extra pass. Do not give up a lay-up. Secondly, stay between the player you are guarding and the basket. Lady Zags seem to have forgotten these fundamental basics at times helping the opposition by giving up easy baskets.

Offensively, the frontcourt almost never made themselves available to receive a pass from the guards. As a frontcourt player, you need to establish position behind the player guarding you leaving enough space between you and the basket for the guard to pass the ball to you. Standing in front of the person guarding you makes it easy to get the pass to you but what are you going to do with the ball? Nobody on the front court was establishing position against St. Mary's leading to essentially no points.

Playing at home and against USF and SCU is just the medicine we need for our wake-up call this week to get back on track.

The ladies got this,

Go Zags,

ZagDad

So ZD I went to the basketball court today to do my old man exercises at the gym and when my ankles and knees are feeling up to it I shoot a few hoops as a reward to myself. Today had a good day (for me) and found my north of 60 sweet spot to be 15-20 footers previously from either side of the basket. But today I expanded to 3 pointers from the side and hit three 3 pointers in a row, and 10 total 3 pointers. Oh I should point out i don't shoot to many shots and then I have to quit before something gives out (LOL).

So ZD whats my point your guessing while laughing at the picture of this decrypted old man shooting jump shots right? Well my point almost anyone can generate a offense and get so called hot on any given day.

Now defense is another story and isn't near as popular with your average player (Heck I can barely hold myself up). But CG, CLF, Stacy Clinesmith made playing great defense their number one priority for the Lady Zags. The main cog of that defense has been teaching each new class of guards how to full court press, and trap. The Lady Zag players guards of previous classes have learned this cog from their coaches and took great pride in accomplishing that mission. As long as CLF and Asst. Coach Clinesmith are with the Lady Zags this tradition will not die. However the time for our next generation of guards to step up in that capacity is now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    ….So ZD whats my point your guessing while laughing at the picture of this decrypted old man shooting jump shots right? Well my point almost anyone can generate a offense and get so called hot on any given day.

Now defense is another story and isn't near as popular with your average player (Heck I can barely hold myself up). But CG, CLF, Stacy Clinesmith made playing great defense their number one priority for the Lady Zags. The main cog of that defense has been teaching each new class of guards how to full court press, and trap. The Lady Zag players guards of previous classes have learned this cog from their coaches and took great pride in accomplishing that mission. As long as CLF and Asst. Coach Clinesmith are with the Lady Zags this tradition will not die. However the time for our next generation of guards to step up in that capacity is now.
    I agree. I just don't think making it the mainstay of our defense, particularly this week, would be prudent.

If we win both games, on Saturday, Senior Day, we could be awarded the conference championship with a victory. I think winning these two games and the conference championship takes precedence over trying to bring our freshies up to speed.

Everybody was debating the effect of Katie on the team on Saturday, but in truth, between JL & JT stepping up and the contributions by K-11, K-14 and LF, the backcourt, in general, exceeded, in some cases far exceeded, their average contributions. Take a look at these numbers for the starting backcourt:

Statistic - Average - St. Mary's
    Points - 30.5 - 43.0
    RPG - 11.5 - 5.0
    APG - 16.1 - 12.0
    T/O PG - 14.6 - 7.0
    A to T/O - 1.1 - 1.7
    SPG - 8.6 - 13.0
    Op T/O - 16.9 - 21.0
    Pts off T/O - 19.6 - 24.0

Generally speaking the backcourt against St. Mary's scored more, hung onto the ball better, created more steals and turnovers and generated more points off those turnovers than average (with KC). Their total number of assist were down, but this was likely due to the ineffectiveness of the frontcourt, but the assist to turnover ratio was 50% better than average. The only, and I mean only, statistic that the starting backcourt did not meet or significantly beat the season averages was in rebounds, which can be said was the same for the entire team.

Other than making sure the backcourt gets out and guards the perimeter, the backcourt more than did their share to win the game against St. Mary's. It was the essentially ineffective frontcourt which dropped the ball against St. Mary's and needs to pick up the slack.

ZagDad

The SMU game kinda reminded me of another game last year where the opponent (BYU) closed off the paint on defense and shot the lights out from the 3. Fourteen 3s and hitting 66% is way above the norm...

You win as a team... you lose as a team. It happens... time to move on and finish strong.

It seems to me that a number of posters are way ahead in the season worrying about loosing the home court in the dance... there are a number of other accomplishments still to be had. And I think we need to enjoy the ride and not worry about loosing another game and loosing the home court. If it happens, great...

First is getting the team up and the youth playing to a level to compete in the dance. And it sounds like CLF is working at it.

Again... lets enjoy the TEAM and their journey.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    The SMU game kinda reminded me of another game last year where the opponent (BYU) closed off the paint on defense and shot the lights out from the 3. Fourteen 3s and hitting 66% is way above the norm...

It seems to me that a number of posters are way ahead in the season worrying about loosing the home court in the dance... there are a number of other accomplishments still to be had. And I think we need to enjoy the ride and not worry about loosing another game and loosing the home court. If it happens, great...

First is getting the team up and the youth playing to a level to compete in the dance. And it sounds like CLF is working at it.

Again... lets enjoy the TEAM and their journey.

Go Zags!!
    As I have been admonished relentlessly on the men's side, here is the obligatory reminder, it is SMC not SMU.

Did you read Geno's comment after his UConn team lost to South Carolina?

"We're allowed to lose a game"

Very appropriate reminder to us Lady Zag fans. No likes losing to SMC more than the members of the Lady Zag Wbb, and if history shows us anything about this year's (and most years) Lady Zag team, is that they do carry a grudge and they have long memories. I think the loss to SMC may be the springboard to drive the Lady Zags to even higher heights for the rest of the year.

You are correct that there are several milestones to reach before the NCAA tournament; the conference championship and the WCC tournament championship as chief among them. However, to achieve these accomplishments, you have to win and if they win, then any discussion of the national rankings, NCAA tournament seedings, etc. will naturally follow.

The Lady Zags will be heavily favored to win their last 5 conference games even without KC and they will also be heavily favored to win the WCC tournament. There is nothing wrong with fans having this expectation as the coach's and the team have this same expectation. Will the fans, the coach's and more importantly the team be disappointed with this team does not win the conference championship and the WCC tournament championship, absolutely, but it will not diminish the accomplishments already achieved by the team.

Every team can have a bad day or their opponent have a really good shooting day (or both). There is not a single D-1 women's basketball team that is undefeated, because, at least once, somebody had a better day than they did. In the Top-25, only South Carolina, Baylor and NC State have a single loss, additionally only 5 further teams in the Top-25 have only 2 losses and our Lady Zag team is one of those five. Something to be very proud of. Everybody else in the Top-25 has 3 or more losses. We have good reason to be proud of the accomplishments (highest AP ranking ever - 2nd longest win streak in the history of Zag Wbb.) already achieved by this team.

I like Mark Few's opinion on the expectations of the Zag Mbb team. According to Few, he was hired to win the Conference Championship and the Conference Tournament Championship everything else is gravy.

We can enjoy the team and the achieved accomplishments to this point and still look forward to the potential accomplishments without diminishing what has already occurred.

ZagDad

Thanks on the correction of SMC... my bad. Actually, I think they go as Saint Marys College of California. Correct me if I’m wrong...

The five remaining games will be dog fights... they know now that GU can be beat. Time for the “DEFENSE”.

And yes we can’t replace Katie... but we can try our best to move forward with a young talented group.

Just a couple of days to welcoming them home.

Go Zags!!

so let me get this straight.....if we win the next two, the worse we could do is be tied for the regular season conference, yes?.....if we win 3 out of the next 5 we would be outright champs , yes?....now if we win on Thursday and again on Saturday, and byu and sd loose, we can claim the outright championship for the regular season.....correct me is I'm wrong.....

I'd like to celebrate on our home floor.....please team make it happen.....

its going to be tough on senior night..

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    so let me get this straight.....if we win the next two, the worse we could do is be tied for the regular season conference, yes?.....if we win 3 out of the next 5 we would be outright champs , yes?....now if we win on Thursday and again on Saturday, and byu and sd loose, we can claim the outright championship for the regular season.....correct me is I'm wrong.....

I'd like to celebrate on our home floor.....please team make it happen.....

its going to be tough on senior night..
    It looks as if we win the next two games at home, no matter what USD or BYU do, we will clinch at least a tie for the WCC championship and the guaranteed #1 seed going into the WCC tournament.

For BYU and USD to share in the championship (and get the #2 seed) they would need to win out and GU lose 3 of the next 5 games. To be the sole WCC champion, BYU and USD would have to win out and GU would have to lose 4 of their last 5 games.

Hopefully, assuming we win on Thursday, the WCC Commissioner will be on site on Saturday to award the Lady Zags the WCC championship trophy during senior night.

We will see what happens, but first we have to win on Thursday.

ZagDad

Well managed to scurry home and watch the 2nd half of the Portland verses Santa Clara game. So heres the low down. Lets start with Santa Clara by far their best player tonight was:

#5 Wiehl (6'1) In the first half she was 3-5 on 3 pointers, for the game she was 8-14 FG. All of her baskets in the 2nd half came on drives to the basket, she was quick and efficient.

After Portland got up by 30 points in the 2nd half, Santa Clara started employing the full court press and it created quite a few turnovers.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-13-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Final score Portland 84 Santa Clara 62. Have to give credit to #25 Wolph despite being behind by 30 points she never stopped hustling and never let up. But like I said #5 Wiehl was their dominate player of the game. Note you do not want to foul #11 Hay she is shooting 91% from free throw line.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-13-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Ok I have to talk about Portland their big 3 were just unstoppable tonight.

#12 Fowler (6'1") very quick off the dribble and getting easy layups 10-13 FG, total 25 points.

#10 Andrews (5-9") 8-9 FG, 8-9 Free throws, 25 points.

#1 Anderson (5-9") 5-9 FG, 12 points, 9 rebounds. Anderson was all over tonight and fighting for rebounds.

Portland employed the full court press and were lethal at it just like when they played us. What was most impressive is some times they did not set up for it then 2 of their players would fly in and trap the player who got the in bounds ball then it seemed like their were Portland players everywhere.

It will be a good test to see how we play Santa Clara verses how Portland played them.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-13-2020 at 09:30 PM.

On the Zag front worried about Jill she is really banged up took another hit to the nose tonight lucky she was wearing the mask. Then she hurt her arm last week and has a black support sleeve. We really need her shooting. She has not been effective at 3s the last few games since donning the mask, and now arm support. She did not even attempt shorter jumpers tonight. All her baskets tonight were layups, and layups are great.
    But just want her to find her groove again on the jump shots and 3s.

Melody had a good comeback game, I would give her player of the game 10 points, and 6 rebounds. Melody was doing great on free throws until she missed her last 2.

We did some half court trap today but do not remember seeing any full court trap at all. So that begs the question are we no longer capable of a full court trap?

I saw 2 teams tonight very proficient in the full court trap, all though Santa Clara applied it to late after they were behind by 30, but when they used it they were very proficient.

Portland is going to give us fits with the full court press just like the 1st game.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-13-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Have to advise CLF and coaching staff this was our 1st of three games against the bottom of the league, now is the time to work out the bugs.

Kayleigh gave me a scare when she tripped under the basket then came up limping, but she shook it off (girl don't scare us like that). Tough girl Jill came in and gave Kayleigh some encouragement good to see.

My favorite play of the game a Jenn Wirth steal and dribble down the court and dished a nice pass to Jill on the fast break for a layup nice job. Hope I gave right Wirth the credit correct me if I'm wrong.

Well one more game this week to work on our trap, and to see if we still can muster a full court press.

Positives we win Zags 53-46. We clinched a tie for WCC. Fantastic speeches by our 2 seniors first Jessie and then Katie.

Observations from speeches Jessie amazed me that she once again did two things at one time what a multi tanker she is (LOL).
    Of course Jessie choked up but she keep right on speaking, then I started seeing tears roll down her cheek but she continued to speak clearly and continued her speech just pulling up her WCC championship jersey periodically to wipe away tears. Great speech Jessie we love you to. By the way Jessie nice clutch drive up the middle of the key and layup to clinch the game what a great Senior moment.

Katie came to the microphone like Katie the player smiling total composure looking serious though. Then she got a few sentences out and her face turned red, and the tough facade came crumbling down. Katie poured out her heart thanking Lisa (CLF) repeatedly for taking a chance on her and for providing such a family atmosphere of support for her and her daughter. Katie also said her daughter could not have been provided a better atmosphere being around her fellow players. Katie's daughter was playing on the edge of the court in the background, and the voice of a child could be heard in the background calling out to Katie (Kodak Moment), and Katie just gave a laugh. Yes Katie we love you and your daughter.

Both Katie, Jessie, and CLF pointed out their still games ahead and continue to support us.

So many great photos pf tonights after game festivities. Some of those photos that really stuck out to me were:

1. The photo of the original starting 5 holding the WCC Trophy Jenn, Katie, Jessie, Jill, and Leeanne.

2. Best comedy photo the Wirth Twins & Troung twins using their net cuttings as mustaches while posing with the WCC trophy.

3. The Wirth twins posing with their roommate Jill in the middle with the WCC trophy.

4. CLF in embraceful hug with Jessie.

5. Phantom photo that I want to see Lisa hugging Katie. (Just mentioning Katie in previous games after injury brought tears to CLF eyes). CLF has a huge emotional attachment to those with children and she still repeats Shaquille Niles as a previous example of that. Having a young growing family of her own their is probably not another a better coach than Lisa Fortier to provide family atmosphere as a coach, and a good role model as well.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-15-2020 at 04:30 PM.