Thread: something surprising on barttorvik...

Default something surprising on barttorvik...

so people reference kenpom and barttorvik quite regularly here. i was checking out the barttorvik team page, and was shocked to see that the zags currently rate #1 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency over the last 10 games. this covers pepperdine -> smc.

obviously, this has all been in conference, and our fairly extreme length and athleticism advantage over the rest of the WCC likely makes this more pronounced-- but it seems our defense really has gotten better.

for anyone who's curious, west virginia, virginia, and baylor are the next 3.

oh, and no shocker-- but we're also #1 in adjusted offensive efficiency over that period.

Thanks soccerdud!

Do you know what difference the two site’s formulas use? They seem to be nearly identical rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    so people reference kenpom and barttorvik quite regularly here. i was checking out the barttorvik team page, and was shocked to see that the zags currently rate #1 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency over the last 10 games. this covers pepperdine -> smc.

obviously, this has all been in conference, and our fairly extreme length and athleticism advantage over the rest of the WCC likely makes this more pronounced-- but it seems our defense really has gotten better.

for anyone who's curious, west virginia, virginia, and baylor are the next 3.

oh, and no shocker-- but we're also #1 in adjusted offensive efficiency over that period.
    Thanks, Soccerdad. Nice work. I was unaware of that site. I am not surprised, as I think we can all see that the D is getting better and better, My guess is that they'll be down in the top 20 by the end of the Conference Tourament.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Thanks soccerdud!

Do you know what difference the two site’s formulas use? They seem to be nearly identical rankings.
    my understanding is that barttorvik is an offshoot of kenpom. he initially started out by cloning kenpom's formulas several years ago, but both have continued to evolve along slightly different paths since then. but yeah, you can definitely see their common ancestry in everything from site design to the actual stats.

GU is up to #33 in adjusted deficiency at kenpom.com. Shutting down Saint Mary's (a top 10 offense before Saturday's blow out win) helped out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    GU is up to #33 in adjusted deficiency at kenpom.com
    I will go out on a limb and guess your spellcheck is “On”.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Either that or I just took a valium Let's try that again:

GU is up to #33 in adjusted DEFENSIVE efficiency at kenpom.com. Shutting down Saint Mary's (a top 10 offense before Saturday's blow out win) helped out a lot.

I gave up trying to adjust my deficiency a long time ago.

(my wife will verify upon request)
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.