Thread: Withers: Zags are on their own

Default Withers: Zags are on their own

Last edited by RenoZag; 02-10-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Washington? The Huskies haven’t won since about the last time Donald Trump told the truth. Their fall from grace has been spectacular – a team drawing mention for a Final Four to one that may struggle to get out of the Pac-12 cellar.
    It is absolutely shocking to me that UW has just nosedived. They lost at WSU iirc. That is hard to believe.

The one team that beat Baylor, the team that was ranked, the one that drained us right down to the end, and they're nearing the bottom of the PAC.

Amazing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    It is absolutely shocking to me that UW has just nosedived. They lost at WSU iirc. That is hard to believe.

The one team that beat Baylor, the team that was ranked, the one that drained us right down to the end, and they're nearing the bottom of the PAC.

Amazing.
    UNC looked good against Duke. UNC lost due to poor FT shooting.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    UNC looked good against Duke. UNC lost due to poor FT shooting.
    And not blocking out during FT shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

Amazing.
    They were (to start the year and VS Gonzaga and Baylor) 3 new-to-UW 5 star guys (Stewart, McDaniels, Green) and a couple decent returning wings (Wright, carter). But lots of new parts to integrate into a complex defense.

They lost Quade Green for the year, then effectively lost a pouting and technical foul prone immature McDaniels by virtue of his own antics.

They are playing now like what they are - a great freshman throwback low post player without a supporting cast.

You can't judge every book by every cover, but McDaniels' body language and facial expressions have oozed selfishness and disinterest from his HS days.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 02-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Might be the only time in my life where I could root for BJC, aka BSU is when they play San Diego State. Give them hell Leon!

For the third time in four seasons, it's becoming increasingly difficult in the middle of February to come up with any reason not to pick Gonzaga to win the men's college basketball national championship.

And with all due respect to San Diego State's Brian Dutcher, Penn State's Pat Chambers and Baylor's Scott Drew, Mark Few deserves to be the runaway favorite for 2019-20 Naismith College Coach of the Year for making this particular pack of Bulldogs one of the top title candidates.
    Article Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...hip-once-again

All seven—a list that also includes Tillie, Joel Ayayi, Drew Timme and Corey Kispert—snag three or more rebounds per game and average at least 2.0 assists and 1.0 steals per 40 minutes. Petrusev and Timme rarely venture out to the perimeter, but the other five each shoot better than 35 percent from deep and make more than one triple per game. They also all value the ball and strive to defend without fouling, ranking among the nation's top 10 in both turnover percentage on offense and free-throw rate on defense, per KenPom.com.

Just in the past 14 games, each of those seven players has tallied 20 or more points at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    great article, thanks for posting.

I have empathy for persons who had a hard time ranking Gonzaga in the past. I have watched SD St two times and because of the quality of the opponent (New Mexico and Air Force), I have no idea how good they are or how to project them in the tournament. Malachi could play for just about anybody, but I have no idea how their big men, or their team defense in general, would hold up against good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I have empathy for persons who had a hard time ranking Gonzaga in the past. I have watched SD St two times and because of the quality of the opponent (New Mexico and Air Force), I have no idea how good they are or how to project them in the tournament. Malachi could play for just about anybody, but I have no idea how their big men, or their team defense in general, would hold up against good teams.
    I have seen them a couple of times on TV and once in person. They have underwhelmed me every time. Flynn is good but he isn't very big. A good size defensive guard like Woolridge would be a problem for him. Mitchell is a bruiser of a guard that can go through people to score and is a good defender. Wetzel, their big man is sneaky with his post moves. I like his game. And....that's really about it as far as individual talent. They are pretty connected on defense, but it's not overwhelming like a Virginia from last year or a West Virginia from 2017. They have no bench to speak of.

I think they are overrated and one loss will break the spell on the poll voters. But, you are correct. Without a couple games against elite competition it is definitely hard to gauge how good they are.

Sad and pathetic that Withers lets his TDS seep into his writing. Makes himself look very unprofessional.

A freelance sportswriter / blogger with a political slant means he's sad, pathetic, unprofessional ?

Yep, my thoughts exactly. He’s always been smug though, and back before the Zags had dominated Udub so much he was a giant Huskie homer. I remember telling him to give it a rest. Now he wants to play nice with us.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Sad and pathetic that Withers lets his TDS seep into his writing. Makes himself look very unprofessional.
    What's sad & pathetic is 53 spineless beings cowering under their desks in D.C.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Now imagine how pathetic you'd be if you were elected president and couldn't go 5 consecutive minutes without lying.
    It's his damn blog, and he's free to use appropriate analogies. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

stating a fact is not evidence of a bias, check Fact Check if you doubt this

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    What's sad & pathetic is 53 spineless beings cowering under their desks in D.C.
    Let’s not go there, 50. OCC died long ago, may it Rest In Peace.

ETA BTW, I had no problem with Bud’s comment, and there’s only a couple of Senators I hold in high regard.

I thought we were to discuss hoops not politics
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few