Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotation Question

Default Rotation Question

Do we see Gilder back in the starting line-up? or is this a "don't mess with what's working situation" and Gilder plays starter minutes off the bench a la Collins.
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006

My comment is do not mess with it

With Corey, Admond, Josh, and Gilder, I think that the coaches just have to find the 3 that are doing best that night and ride them. Then if our bigs get it foul trouble, all 4 may play together some nights against certain teams where a small lineup is best.

I'm for the status quo. Strangely enough, there aren't enough minutes for the seven in the rotation as it is. All seven deserve as many minutes as they get and there is literally no drop off when they rotate off the bench.

It is tough to get Gilder off the court at this point. Ayayi peaked when we needed him and he has certainly come back down a bit. Joel has a chance to be one of the top players in america next year with another great summer of work but he is not a pro right now. With that being said, our bench changes games when they enter at the 15min mark of the first half. Gilder has excelled in this role. Although I believe he would impact as a starter as well, I don’t see change being made this late in the year. As mentioned above, everyone (except Woolrodge) essentially plays the same minutes so it really doesn’t matter. What matters is who finishes the game and presume Gilder would be part of that group if we are ever in a close game at the end (which is a rarity).

Gilder averaging 25.x per game in conference, Ayayi averaging 29.x, but that 4 minute gap looks to be closing.

I don't know that it matters who starts for any reason - one I could think of would be: does either Ayayi or Gilder work better as a compliment to Timme? Maybe no difference their either, but maybe it's nice to have an experienced senior leader with NCAA tourney experience paired up with a freshman big who might be more mistake prone. (though I do think Timme's poise and awareness is very good for a freshman).

In late game foul situation where freethrows might be crucial, it is nice to see Woolridge is shooting FTs at 74% since conference play began (11 games).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    It is tough to get Gilder off the court at this point. Ayayi peaked when we needed him and he has certainly come back down a bit. Joel has a chance to be one of the top players in america next year with another great summer of work but he is not a pro right now. With that being said, our bench changes games when they enter at the 15min mark of the first half. Gilder has excelled in this role. Although I believe he would impact as a starter as well, I don’t see change being made this late in the year. As mentioned above, everyone (except Woolrodge) essentially plays the same minutes so it really doesn’t matter. What matters is who finishes the game and presume Gilder would be part of that group if we are ever in a close game at the end (which is a rarity).
    I think this Board is getting a bit overwrought over Joel's "decline" the past week. He was great in the USF game. He had a few turnovers last night, but overall he played good defense and got the rebounds he usually gets.

I agree, it matters who's on the court at the end of the game, and Admon is a veteran who is a great FT shooter at crunch time.

I feel more secure w both Timme and Gilder off the bench but also in at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I feel more secure w both Timme and Gilder off the bench but also in at the end of the game.
    Just means you're "old school", Jazz...like me. Drew's making his case, as it appears he's solved his FT shooting woes. Filip's also improved in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Just means you're "old school", Jazz...like me. Drew's making his case, as it appears he's solved his FT shooting woes. Filip's also improved in that regard.
    It’s a good school, Tex. Plenty of times you’re 3rd or 4th best player is your sixth man. The great Hondo comes to mind.

I loved it when we had Collins come in off the bench. We'd typically be pounding a team for four or five minutes and then introduce them to Mr. Zach Collins. Good times.

It's probably best to leave the rotation the way it is. Even if Gilder's a little better right now (and let's say he is for arguments sake), having that boost off the bench is a huge plus. The end of game lineup will have a lot to do with who's playing better, and often times all three guards will be in there anyway.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I would hope no changes are made in the line up but if there are changes they will be made coaches that know much more than I do!
    Joel has been quite on the offensive end lately. Teams have been defending him a little differently once he started to pose such a threat. I expect him to have a breakout offensive game soon.

I would like to see Ayayi spell Woolridge more at PG to save his legs (and knee) for the push.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Me also. I think both Timme & Gilder benefit by watching how the game is going before they get on the floor. More so than those they might start in place of. When all 7 are averaging double figures something’s seriously right
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I think this Board is getting a bit overwrought over Joel's "decline" the past week. He was great in the USF game. He had a few turnovers last night, but overall he played good defense and got the rebounds he usually gets.

I agree, it matters who's on the court at the end of the game, and Admon is a veteran who is a great FT shooter at crunch time.
    Keep everything the way it is. If it ain't broken no need to fix it. Things are going quite well, imo. Did anyone notice how Ayayi came right out of the gate and hit that 3 pointer to start the game off. hahaha I don't see anything broken about his game at all. I love how he plays.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The biggest differences between them right now seem to be confidence on offense and skill/positioning on defense.

Keep the starting line-up as it... but if the game is close and we need defensive stops Gilder should be the one out there over Ayayi.

I re-watched the SMC game. Ayayi had a couple of really sharp passes that looked really good. He got Tillie with one at the beginning of the game that was awesome. He still offers so much and his length is a really game changer.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I re-watched the SMC game. Ayayi had a couple of really sharp passes that looked really good. He got Tillie with one at the beginning of the game that was awesome. He still offers so much and his length is a really game changer.
    After his first three on Saturday, he raised his arm with the “trey” gesture. I had forgotten about the length of his arms, a real asset on defense.

I do not have the stats at my fingertips, but it seems to me that Ayayi is a very good free throw shooter but I would agree that his defensive "intensity" could be better. If it looks like its going to be a free throw shooting contest down the line, I would want Tillie, Woolridge (need him for ball handling), Kispert, Gilder, and Ayayi. Timmie and Petro get to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    I do not have the stats at my fingertips, but it seems to me that Ayayi is a very good free throw shooter but I would agree that his defensive "intensity" could be better. If it looks like its going to be a free throw shooting contest down the line, I would want Tillie, Woolridge (need him for ball handling), Kispert, Gilder, and Ayayi. Timmie and Petro get to watch.
    Petroleum and Timme have been shooting FT’s well in the past few games.

I honestly want Gilder to play some more minutes at PG. I think he will be our best perimeter player come March and having him run the true point may be interesting flanked by Kispert and Ayayi. I also love our 4 guard lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Keep everything the way it is. If it ain't broken no need to fix it. Things are going quite well, imo. Did anyone notice how Ayayi came right out of the gate and hit that 3 pointer to start the game off. hahaha I don't see anything broken about his game at all. I love how he plays.

Go Zags!!!
    Exactly! Ayayi will be fine. Cooly draining that 3-pointer on Zags’ opening possession was huge...never know what gets a team’s confidence rolling. I expect he will have a great performance vs Pepperdine.

This starting lineup is fine. Timme and Gilder provide great sparks off the bench. Only thing I wish would change is for Arlauskas to play well enough to earn more PT...10mpg so Woolridge and Kispert can play < 35+mpg, and get Arlauskas’ confidence up in case foul trouble or worse forces Zags to need minutes from him in the tourney.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Yeah LTown has a video on his post thats 10 min long. It's really good and does show Ayayi with a number of really good assists. Watch how he handles the ball. He's always creating space to look for that pass to the post, and he throws a really nice bounce pass.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

That is huge.

Have to pinch myself when I think of having seven players so capable. Wooly is difference maker, scores and has great endurance. Timme is a beast, Petro is money and getting better every game it seems, Gilder is a mature solid player we can rely on, Ayayai's 3 is a beautiful thing as is his play in general, Corey is a leader and when he's hitting those 3's...just Wow! Killian..yeah, Killian our golden nugget. Add Arlouskas and Zakahrov and each is serviceable when needed. I think they both will be good.
    Shoot I bet MF has to pinch himself
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Petrusev in the past 5 games: 33%, 50%, 58%, 73%, 33%. 3/9, 3/6, 7/12, 11/15, 1/3
    Timme in the past 5 games: 0%, 100%, 86%, 33%, 100%. 0/4, 1/1, 7/8, 1/3, 6/6

Petrusev OOC: 69%
    Petrusev Conf: 59%

Timme OOC: 60%
    Timme Conf: 65%