Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs St Marys Post Game thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    This was my first time this year watching SMC and I have to say...............not impressed. Maybe I caught them on a really off night, but come on.........3 assists, no makes from behind the arc in the 1st half, etc. Ford is good and Fitts is OK, but no one else on their roster even showed up for their biggest game of the year. The 8 ZAG TO's in the first 7 or so minutes were just gifts, not due to SMC defense or anything else. Without those, the guys would have easily been up 30+...........at the half. That's WCC bottom feeder results, and on their home floor.

Another beatdown like that at the Kennel in a couple of weeks and SMC has no legs to stand on for a berth in the dance, no resume to claim (5+ conference losses, really, in the WCC). Just another overrated SMC team being exposed.

Go ZAGS
    That's a bit harsh. I think St. Mary's is good enough to win a game in the tournament. What you saw last night was Gonzaga playing at their peak with a masterful game plan by Few. The Gaels aren't as formidable this year as some of their teams in the not too distant past, but the Zags are a nightmare matchup for them. I think you have to give Gonzaga more credit for dismantling St. Mary's last night than calling out the Gaels for being overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Reborn, great post and I agree we have seven starters and the players do a great job of finding the hot hand and mismatches. Timme is doing fantastic at attacking the boards and getting us that extra shot. Great year and fun to watch. This is the year that I thought was total rebuilding, but Admond and Ryan are unbelievable in making this a contender
    And don't forget Joel (even though he isn't a transfer, he has stepped up big time this year). Although he was a little "quieter" last night than he usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I think I saw the Gaels's girlfriends getting on Gonzaga's bus and leaving town.
    Even though they have no idea where Spokane is? I hope they packed their long undies.

Randy has shook Few's hand that way the last 2 times now.
    Love the zags for life

rewatching now and counted 3 SMC turnovers overpassing to the roll cutter on the side screen/roll; great Zag guard d on that roll cutter, Gilder and Wooly causing the turnovers, but also the switched dribble defender to stay in front, Tillie.

Zags looked to hard hedge with Petro/Timme, switch with Tillie. awesome

fun to rewatch Reborn, I know you love it too
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 02-09-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: wrong #

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    rewatching now and counted 3 SMC turnovers overpassing to the roll cutter on the side screen/roll; great Zag guard d on that roll cutter, Gilder and Wooly causing the turnovers, but also the switched dribble defender to stay in front, Tillie.

I got a bit nervous when the Gaels cut it to 17...then the Zags took it back up to 25 shortly after Few called a time out.

My main takeaway was how tired Jordan Ford looked - especially in the 2nd half. Although Ford hit some shots, he did not hurt the Zags - and I believe it was Woolridge's quickness that negated that. Watching Ford have to chase Woolridge around on D all night was fun to watch! Those hard hedges by the bigs (and quick switchbacks) also helped. Very rarely did our bigs get isolated on Ford way out high... Great job on the D.

Do you have a way to post the game to youtube of upload it to a google drive? I'd love to rewatch. Thanks either way.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I got a bit nervous when the Gaels cut it to 17...then the Zags took it back up to 25 shortly after Few called a time out.
    yeah Bennett believed too it looked like.

the key sequence for me is around the 13 minute mark, the whole Petro thing happened, next trip on D he got iso'd on Ford who scored to cut it to 17 61-44. Before being pulled, Timme finished and 1 to push back to 20, then Ford shook and finished a floater. Bennett looked at the clock, the crowd was wanting to believe.

then Wooly had a flurry of awesomeness with 3 finsihes at the rim in a row to answer, bam bam bam, including a blow by of Ford and 1 to start with 3 points, the next one off a Gilder steal and his allyoop dime, then a steal of Ford with Timme's hard hedge and finish in transition. just some sweet stuff man from some hard core competitors, answering the bell, took their heart away

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Do you have a way to post the game to youtube of upload it to a google drive? I'd love to rewatch. Thanks either way.
    no sorry, but it's available on espn

no sorry, but it's available on espn
    Totally unrelated to the Zags game itself, but on the ESPN Mens hoops page, the top 7 articles are featured down the center. Six of the seven were about the Duke/UNC game and the seventh was whether the ACC could recover to dominate March Madness again.

It almost makes me think that there's an East Coast bias.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Totally unrelated to the Zags game itself, but on the ESPN Mens hoops page, the top 7 articles are featured down the center. Six of the seven were about the Duke/UNC game and the seventh was whether the ACC could recover to dominate March Madness again.

It almost makes me think that there's an East Coast bias.
    I think it's a "we're here to make money bias"

If Zag (or SDSU) articles got the clicks (and subsequent ad revenue) than Duke/UNC got, we'd see articles about those programs.

I share in your annoyance though!

yeah Bennett believed too it looked like.

the key sequence for me is around the 13 minute mark, the whole Petro thing happened, next trip on D he got iso'd on Ford who scored to cut it to 17 61-44. Before being pulled, Timme finished and 1 to push back to 20, then Ford shook and finished a floater. Bennett looked at the clock, the crowd was wanting to believe.

then Wooly had a flurry of awesomeness with 3 finsihes at the rim in a row to answer, bam bam bam, including a blow by of Ford and 1 to start with 3 points, the next one off a Gilder steal and his allyoop dime, then a steal of Ford with Timme's hard hedge and finish in transition. just some sweet stuff man from some hard core competitors, answering the bell, took their heart away
    Right, with the black hole on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I think it's a "we're here to make money bias"

If Zag (or SDSU) articles got the clicks (and subsequent ad revenue) than Duke/UNC got, we'd see articles about those programs.

I share in your annoyance though!
    If they were promoted equally, and had been for a decade or more, they would probably get the clicks, and the money.

My annoyance, however, was more for the fact that ALL seven of those positions were Duke/UNC with the one outlier being if UNC would make it to the Bubble.

That's a bit harsh. I think St. Mary's is good enough to win a game in the tournament. What you saw last night was Gonzaga playing at their peak with a masterful game plan by Few. The Gaels aren't as formidable this year as some of their teams in the not too distant past, but the Zags are a nightmare matchup for them. I think you have to give Gonzaga more credit for dismantling St. Mary's last night than calling out the Gaels for being overrated.
    Fair enough.............probably a bit of both the ZAGS playing extremely well last night (which they did), and SMC having an off night combined with a nightmare matchup. However, the ZAGS are a nightmare matchup for most teams in the WCC. I guess I just get tired of the "rivalry" talk with GU/SMC, similar to the "rivalry" talk with GU/UW. There is no "rivalry" when the same team wins 80%+ of the games the last 15-20 years. Under that scenario, there are occasional upsets and taking care of business.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Right, with the black hole on the bench.
    lol, thanks for the color commentary this flurry did happen with Petro on the bench, others have happened with him on the floor of course

lol, thanks for the color commentary this flurry did happen with Petro on the bench, others have happened with him on the floor of course
    Right. Totally coincidental. C’mon B4.

Right. Totally coincidental. C’mon B4.
    Hey jazz, we're all color commentators in our analysis, I was making fun of yours using color, that's all my friend!

Strongest output we’ve had against a very good team I’ve seen in quite a while. FF team just as easy as a s16 or an E 8 team depending only on LUCK. Bigs and guards continue to improve. Few knows it. I think the announcers saw the same thing. We lack depth and superior FT shooting. FT shooting is on the upswing. Depth we can't changed ….6-7 players is the front line this year. Last night's defense was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If they were promoted equally, and had been for a decade or more, they would probably get the clicks, and the money.

My annoyance, however, was more for the fact that ALL seven of those positions were Duke/UNC with the one outlier being if UNC would make it to the Bubble.
    I hear you but I hate rooting for the Man's team so I'm fine with it, you know? $$$

UNC outlier piece is the promotional idea branding you're talking about too imo

Hey jazz, we're all color commentators in our analysis, I was making fun of yours using color, that's all my friend!
    Cool. It’s raining in paradise. Apologies.

Cool. It’s raining in paradise. Apologies.
    no worries, fun hanging out here this morning with you and the gang in the after glow

I think I saw the Gaels's girlfriends getting on Gonzaga's bus and leaving town.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I wonder if SMC had any recruits there to watch the Gaels beat Gonzaga. If I was a recruit and saw a beat down like that, I would have second thoughts.

Hudson and Morrison had an interesting pregame conversation last evening regarding uniform colors. As I believe is noted elsewhere on the board prior to last night's game the Zags were 17-5 in the black uniforms. Morrison said that was actually a decent W-L stat as the Zags normally only break out the blacks for "big games". Of course the Zags are now 18-5. What Morrison really wanted to talk about was the "Reds" which he says Few hates, therefore we are unlikely to see them again. Morrison said he has lobbied heavily for the Reds but Few is the boss and AMMO said I don't pay the bills. I happen to like the reds when the gals wear them, but it sounds we won't be seeing the Reds on the men, at least as long as Few is in charge.