X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

There's a reason that BYU was way ahead of St. Mary's in Kenpom despite playing more than 1/3 of the season without the best player.

Despite the crazy loss in the WCC tourney last year, SMC hasn't been the challenge to Gonzaga that BYU has been since Wiltjer's year. (2016)

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Amazing game. A plus from everyone.

Comment

• Mantua
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

I was pleased that our announcers pointed out the Zag catch-22 in any WCC win.
        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

The Zags were 36-53 67.9% FG; 8-15 53.3% 3's; and 10-14 71.4% from the stripe! Petro and Timme with double doubles. The only downer was the careless TO's in the first half of the first half.
          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
          All mimsy were the borogoves,
          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
            Did anyone see the surprisingly long Bennett/Few handshake at the end? I was almost uncomfortable watching it and hope that Randy is feeling ok

Yes, I definitely noticed that too. Will be fun watching the next iteration of the Bennett/Few postgame handshake in Spokane in a couple weeks to see if this edition is an outlier or dawn of a new era.

Seeing Tillie play so well and attacking the rim, not to mention ninja 3pt shooting, is my favorite takeaway from this game. Usually after such a great team performance I’d want their schedule to stay routine and keep things rolling w a Thursday night game but I’m glad Zags have a week off as Tillie (and Woolridge?) can use the recovery time.

If you told me Zags would turn the ball over 5 times in the first 5 minutes on the road vs Gaels I’d assume an L was likely. Kind of amazing they didn’t let the uncharacteristic TO’s rattle them. Lots of talent on this team but the immeasurable “mental (and physical) toughness” component may just be this team’s greatest strength. Bodes well for NCAA tourney stage.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

The day after the Game

Good morning Zag fans: It's taken me a little while to realize that Gonzaga really did win by 30, and that I'm not in a dream. Wow! I thought that if Gonzaga could win by 16 points that it'd be a thrashing. However, if that were true what would I call a 30 point win? Stunning. WowZaga! The Zags dominated in every way.

I mean, St Mary's is a pretty darn good team. They're ranked 37th overall on Kenpom. They're in pretty good company:Auburn 32, LSU 33. Wichita St 38, Cincinatti 40, Stanford 41, Oklahoma 44, Xavier 48, Florida 47, and Virginia 52. Imagine what people would be thinking AND saying if Gonzaga had beaten any of these teams by 30? Most likely our boys won't be given the credit that they deserve. But that's okay. They know what they did and so do we (most of us anyway).

Our offense is just so unreal, awesome. When you have seven guys who not only average 10 points a game or more, and everyone of those seven can score 20 on any given night (and do) you have a pretty darn good team. When you have one bench player scoring 20+ points a game lately, and the other capable of scoring 15+, you have to admit that this is a special kind of team. I remember when the Zags had Collins on the bench (the year we made it to the Final 4). I think he averaged 9 points a game or so and was drafted in the first round. I don't remember him scoring 20 points in any game let alone in 4 straight games, and one of those against St Mary's. AND then look at Gilder. He too has been scoring around 15 points a game lately and playing starter minutes. Come on! COME ON!!! The Zags have two bench players who are both starters, so that's 7 starters on this team. Can any other team say that? I just checked my drink and it's not Kool-Aid, it's coffee. hahaha

The Zags have 3 post players who can all average 20 points a game if they wanted to, and all three almost got 20 last nght. And all 3 are different kinds of players with different kinds of talents. The post players just dominated last night. You have Tillie who was on the Wooden List and still should be and would be if he hadn't gotten injured. You have Petrusev who IS on that list. And finally, you have Timme who just may be better than both of them. Could you imagine 3 guys on the Wooden List?

AND THEN we have 4 guards who are just so much fun to watch because they play as if basketball is an art. The way they handle the ball is just so wonderful to watch. At times the ball movement is so beautiful that I forget that I'm watching a basketball game in a basketball arena, and think I'm in a theater watching a play. The thing I love most about these guys is they are totally unselfish. As good as they are, they are willing to be passers when the plan is to get the ball into the post players. Or when the plan is to move the ball from side to side and then back to the other side with lightening speed, in order to get a better chance of scoring. And like I've said before, these guards can attack the basket like no other guard combination that has come before them.

That game last night was just awesome. Thank you Zags for putting on quite a show. You left something in the minds of all those who attended that game. Golly Moses you guys sure like playing on the Road. Again, thank you, and keep it up. Be humble.

Go Zags!!!
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Markburn1
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2015

I think I saw the Gaels's girlfriends getting on Gonzaga's bus and leaving town.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
                  SMC averages 13 assists per game on the year. Tonight: 3.
                  great stuff too.

what I saw for why that happened was Zags played a lot of M2M no help, especially in the post, forced their bigs to try and do something and create a basket from the post 1v1. they struggled, so they'd pass out even when 1v1, so it was to a marked player on the perimeter or right to a Zag, SMC even threw it back out to nobody more than once and Zags got some nice turnovers on SMC overpassing, so sweet. Zags did not overhelp and forced tough 2s often with no help, then grabbed the boards or forced the TO and off to the races

Also, Zags did NOT help on the drive or the post up too often but were forced to at times, SMC got them scrambling more than once, but Zag rotations were pretty good, players pointing and communicating. The predictions thread on the Petro hard hedge was spot on too Markburn, and there was some sagging to help cover the roll but no overhelping, but Petro's growth in that specific defensive technique in the last couple of weeks as noted here (hoopaholic noted his better angles on the gamethread, and I also think his footwork on his slides are better, shorter quicker slide steps) has changed the Zags and him, my opinion; that was Petro's best defensive game imo

SMC want you to help and then they kick to get you scrambling, whether out of the screen/roll or the penetration or the post up, whatever. Zags took that away and made them try to finish with the ball instead of create for others. Ford was really the only guy who could do it

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

This was my first time this year watching SMC and I have to say...............not impressed. Maybe I caught them on a really off night, but come on.........3 assists, no makes from behind the arc in the 1st half, etc. Ford is good and Fitts is OK, but no one else on their roster even showed up for their biggest game of the year. The 8 ZAG TO's in the first 7 or so minutes were just gifts, not due to SMC defense or anything else. Without those, the guys would have easily been up 30+...........at the half. That's WCC bottom feeder results, and on their home floor.

Another beatdown like that at the Kennel in a couple of weeks and SMC has no legs to stand on for a berth in the dance, no resume to claim (5+ conference losses, really, in the WCC). Just another overrated SMC team being exposed.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• zag67
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Reborn, great post and I agree we have seven starters and the players do a great job of finding the hot hand and mismatches. Timme is doing fantastic at attacking the boards and getting us that extra shot. Great year and fun to watch. This is the year that I thought was total rebuilding, but Admond and Ryan are unbelievable in making this a contender

Comment

• Markburn1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                        This was my first time this year watching SMC and I have to say...............not impressed. Maybe I caught them on a really off night, but come on.........3 assists, no makes from behind the arc in the 1st half, etc. Ford is good and Fitts is OK, but no one else on their roster even showed up for their biggest game of the year. The 8 ZAG TO's in the first 7 or so minutes were just gifts, not due to SMC defense or anything else. Without those, the guys would have easily been up 30+...........at the half. That's WCC bottom feeder results, and on their home floor.

Another beatdown like that at the Kennel in a couple of weeks and SMC has no legs to stand on for a berth in the dance, no resume to claim (5+ conference losses, really, in the WCC). Just another overrated SMC team being exposed.

Go ZAGS
                        That's a bit harsh. I think St. Mary's is good enough to win a game in the tournament. What you saw last night was Gonzaga playing at their peak with a masterful game plan by Few. The Gaels aren't as formidable this year as some of their teams in the not too distant past, but the Zags are a nightmare matchup for them. I think you have to give Gonzaga more credit for dismantling St. Mary's last night than calling out the Gaels for being overrated.

Comment

• Plainsman
                          Kennel Club
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
                          Reborn, great post and I agree we have seven starters and the players do a great job of finding the hot hand and mismatches. Timme is doing fantastic at attacking the boards and getting us that extra shot. Great year and fun to watch. This is the year that I thought was total rebuilding, but Admond and Ryan are unbelievable in making this a contender
                          And don't forget Joel (even though he isn't a transfer, he has stepped up big time this year). Although he was a little "quieter" last night than he usually is.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                            I think I saw the Gaels's girlfriends getting on Gonzaga's bus and leaving town.
                            Even though they have no idea where Spokane is? I hope they packed their long undies.

Comment

• Zags11
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2008

Randy has shook Few's hand that way the last 2 times now.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                                Zag for Life
                                • Dec 2008

rewatching now and counted 3 SMC turnovers overpassing to the roll cutter on the side screen/roll; great Zag guard d on that roll cutter, Gilder and Wooly causing the turnovers, but also the switched dribble defender to stay in front, Tillie.

Zags looked to hard hedge with Petro/Timme, switch with Tillie. awesome

fun to rewatch Reborn, I know you love it too
                                Last edited by bballbeachbum; 02-09-2020, 08:44 AM. Reason: wrong #

Comment

Working...
                                X