Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ESPN "experiments" with no Play By Play for USF @ Zags

Here was my problem with it. I didn't think they were trying to bring more focus to the game with this idea. Instead, with the constant cutting to the announcers and showing them split screen many times as well, it seemed like it was more a vehicle to push the announcers rather than the game itself.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I agree with most the comments on here about having a play by play guy for the little details they bring out in the game. What I did like is both guys flat said GU would win or compete to win the SEC and Big 12 this year. I do know Dykes gets a lot of crap on Twitter when he doesn't praise Kentucky, so I thought how he worded a UK vs. GU 10 game match up was just a way to avoid taking a ton of heat from UK fans. But then I was thinking about that match up and dang UK and GU both match up very well, with the X-Factor in my opinion being Kispert which is why we would win 8 of 10 against them.

They were very high on USF's coach and honestly, I agree he is a good one. His guys just didn't play in the 2nd half when we turned up the heat. I liked how Dykes ran over and listened in to their timeout and talked to the coaches, to me that's the kind of stuff that is interesting to listen too.

The part I was like dang this is terrible was the part when they sat their for a minute without talking and then gave their analysis, or I guess that's what they were trying to do, it was mostly bad. That is where a play by play guy comes in and Fran and Dykes can watch for 3-4 minutes and give a true analysis of what took place in that amount of time.

I definitely liked this combo better than if they would have sent Walton and Bilas to the Kennel, I may have not watched the game.
    Bilas I could listen to... Walton... he and Vitale kill many CBB games for me as I cannot stand hearing them speak.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It was an experiment that probably doesn't work, at least as demonstrated last night. Both Fran and Dykes know the game and are capable of giving interesting insights/observations. Fran is an exceptionally well prepared analyst, Dykes is too but a bit of a motor mouth. I think Dykes did some Zag/WCC games for a year or two back in the early 2,000s, and at that time was a fan. Both of the guys demo'd some KC moves prior to the broadcast, esp Dykes. I think the quiet times when they were supposed to think like the coaches were probably the product of a pre production meeting and IMO were awkward and contrived.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Ok. Jimmy Dikes said several times that he had never been to the Kennel.

Am I losing my mind? I could have sworn he did many games as the color guy for Gonzaga on ESPN 10-15 years ago.

Someone tell me I'm not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

Am I losing my mind? I could have sworn he did many games as the color guy for Gonzaga on ESPN 10-15 years ago.

I think he was referring to the MAC, I thought one time he said "in this bldg".
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Bilas I could listen to... Walton... he and Vitale kill many CBB games for me as I cannot stand hearing them speak.
    True Vitale is way worse than Bilas.

The S-R's Vince Grippi's "TV Take" column addresses the no PBP "experiment" : https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...th-pair-of-an/

Dykes pointed out how the Dons (17-11, 6-7) were spreading out the Zags, attacking the rim with their quickness and forcing help. The penetration led to a 12-0 run midway through the first period – passes off drives to the weakside led to back-to-back open 3-pointers to kick off the streak – and Gonzaga couldn’t catch up before intermission.

On the other end, Fraschilla rightfully pointed out the Bulldogs were anxious, rushing shots that seemed out of the flow of their usual offense. Though he thought the Zags were “tense,” he also noted how the Dons’ scheme was causing problems. USF wasn’t allowing GU’s usually effective high-low attack any space.

“They are giving those big guys a shot at the top of the key,” he said after Timme missed an unguarded free-throw line jumper. “They are not letting them get the ball in the paint. They are daring (Drew) Timme and Petrusev to shoot the ball.”

If you're crazy so am I. I remember him doing games too, and I also remember that BobZag mentioned a couple of times how much he liked Dykes. Perhaps he was assigned to the WCC tournament games and I am confusing that with regular season games but I sure thought he did regular season ones. There were not so many back then either.
    Birddog

Experiment is the right word. It appeared as though they declined to do any type of practice run and it showed. The problem with the running it without a play by play to stear the broadcast is you end up with a slightly better version of our local broadcast crew. They were short on prep so the key talking points kept coming up over and over again. Camera shots were brutal. Overall it looked liked like it they picked up their produce from the a community cable access channel.

Can you imagine this board if Bill Walton called Blake Stepp, Brook stepp? We would have its own thread.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Can you imagine this board if Bill Walton called Blake Stepp, Brook stepp? We would have its own thread.
    lol - and he kept repeating "Brook"

I corrected him every time he said it, and eventually my wife reminded me that he couldn't here me

The part I was like dang this is terrible was the part when they sat their for a minute without talking and then gave their analysis, or I guess that's what they were trying to do, it was mostly bad. That is where a play by play guy comes in and Fran and Dykes can watch for 3-4 minutes and give a true analysis of what took place in that amount of time.
    That's funny because I honestly really enjoyed those parts of the game. Almost made me wish there was an option on normal broadcasts to kill the announcers and just have the ambient sound. Especially if you know the players well it makes a lot of the PBP stuff superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    That's funny because I honestly really enjoyed those parts of the game. Almost made me wish there was an option on normal broadcasts to kill the announcers and just have the ambient sound. Especially if you know the players well it makes a lot of the PBP stuff superfluous.
    I guess I should clarify, I thought their analysis was pretty weak after doing that, so that is why a play by play guy is good. A lot of the time I do hit mute on the game and just watch, but normally I can come up with a little better analysis than they both did those few times.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Honestly, I would rather have had Uncle Bill Walton call the game than those two clowns tonight. I put their combined college basketball IQ at about negative 3.

Will have to strongly disagree, Soren. You may not have liked the format (I was there so haven't seen it yet), but to question Fran's & Jimmy's college basketball IQ is way off base. Both former Head Coaches; they are off the charts compared to you or I.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

He had been to GU, but pre-K2 (before '04).
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

For me play by play gives me the information that I cant get since I am not at the facility. Time, fouls foul trouble. Who took timeout etc and I missed that
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Wish there was a way to just mute the talking heads and listen to the arena/public address. This "experiment" is stupid, and probably is happening for some stupid reason we are not aware of, like a PBP announcer not available (or not wanting to pay one), or some such. I don't know if ESPN is still "mailing it in" with remote announcers for some games when they aren't even in the arena, but this smells of something stupid that higher ups cooked up.

Maybe it won't be so bad, but I can get a couple of people in my living room to shoot the sh*t about the game on the teevee. Low effort, ESPN.
    100% agree.

They seemed to have run out of interesting material about three minutes in.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    lol - and he kept repeating "Brook"

I corrected him every time he said it, and eventually my wife reminded me that he couldn't here me
    Lol same. "Hey isnt that brook stepp? Yea brook stepp. Brook."
    Love the zags for life

Default Zags to play "experimental" ESPN2 game v USF

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Lol same. "Hey isnt that brook stepp? Yea brook stepp. Brook."
    I kept thinking, “Blake had a brother that played for the Zags? How did I miss that”? Definitely a family resemblance.

Brook Steppe played for Georgia Tech and was the 17th pick in the 1980 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Helluva player, too. Good recall May.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brook_Steppe

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Way to ruin the fun. But that is crazy lol.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    If you're crazy so am I. I remember him doing games too, and I also remember that BobZag mentioned a couple of times how much he liked Dykes. Perhaps he was assigned to the WCC tournament games and I am confusing that with regular season games but I sure thought he did regular season ones. There were not so many back then either.
    He did the WCC tournament in 2004.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

I guess I should clarify, I thought their analysis was pretty weak after doing that, so that is why a play by play guy is good. A lot of the time I do hit mute on the game and just watch, but normally I can come up with a little better analysis than they both did those few times.
    That’s an excellent point. The post-silence observations I thought were ok after the first silence and were pretty lame from there in out.