Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN "experiments" with no Play By Play for USF @ Zags

How about just having a play by play guy and get rid of the constant talking on the side? This seems like kind of a lame idea personally but I suppose we'll see tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I see nothing wrong with experimentation, but i think all of us can think of examples of personalities that definitely turned us off to the idea. Vitale is definitely the national personality i'd love to never hear again, but others seem to like him. I remember when Ehlo helped out, and that was less than stellar.
    I like Dickie V for one very important reason. He put college basketball on the map with his endless promotion of coaches and programs. He brought the casual fan into it with his top five lists, idioms like diaper dandies, PTPers and drive, draw and dish, not to mention a host of other things. His obvious love for the game completely overshadows the silly stuff, at least for me.

"Are you kidding me??? We're getting paid for this??? We're stealing money!!!" Haha

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    A little OT, but I am completely fine with the traditional approach provided we could have Flemming and Farnham every game.
    They are my favorite tandem as well. Sean seems genuine in his praise for the program.
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by WenatcheeZag View Post
    They are my favorite tandem as well. Sean seems genuine in his praise for the program.
    At the halftime break for OSU - Iowa, Farnham had a segment where he touted the Zags (and the program) with great praise. I believe he'll be calling the BYU game on Saturday.
    The segment showed GU with a 69% chance of beating the Cougars, FWIW.

There are some better ones out there than Vitale! I really like Fraschilla, Farnham is a west coast guy all the way!!
    Vitale over the years has really brought energy and a presence to college basketball. He is way past his prime but still brings it when he does a game and has always seemd to care about the smaller schools. I would take Vitale over Walton every time.

Wish there was a way to just mute the talking heads and listen to the arena/public address. This "experiment" is stupid, and probably is happening for some stupid reason we are not aware of, like a PBP announcer not available (or not wanting to pay one), or some such. I don't know if ESPN is still "mailing it in" with remote announcers for some games when they aren't even in the arena, but this smells of something stupid that higher ups cooked up.

Maybe it won't be so bad, but I can get a couple of people in my living room to shoot the sh*t about the game on the teevee. Low effort, ESPN.

Not the worst broadcast I've heard. . .nor the best.

Could do without the split screen.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Not the worst broadcast I've heard. . .nor the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    Could do without the split screen.
    Agree with both of those.

What I missed with a play by play guy is who a foul was called on, and details like that.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Next time they want to interview Mark Few I'll loan ESPN a headset.

Ok, for this comment I’ll be Mark Few.
    Ok. That was good D.

I don't understand the effort to *not* talk about what was happening on the floor.

When they said no play by play I didn't think they meant not talking about important things that are happening. Saying "another costly turnover" or "that's his first foul" doesn't make you a play by play guy does it?

sorry, after watching the experiment there were times where nobody was talking and on the split screen no less. It was terrible.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Honestly, I would rather have had Uncle Bill Walton call the game than those two clowns tonight. I put their combined college basketball IQ at about negative 3.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

What I missed with a play by play guy is who a foul was called on, and details like that.
    Having the stats feed up helped; I thought the production truck could have filled in with graphics to make up for it. Thought the discussion once the game was decided between the two coaches re: GU's chances in the Big Dance was fair. Fran usually calls Big 12 games and Dykes does the SEC (though he saw GU in the Bahamas).

I didn’t like it. These are two decent on-air personalities who did not work well as a team.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Like with anything, it's hard to say if it's going to work judging by the first try. I definitely missed the stats / foul updates that you would normally get from the play by play. And I am totally ok with them never having dead air for 45 + seconds at a time again. Those are the biggest problems I had with it personally, but are also easily fixed. I'm not sure what the logic was behind the experiment to begin with. It could simply be a personnel/ staffing issue.....so why not try something new.....but who knows?

ESPN would save a lot of money by just showing the game with crowd/PA audio, and throw up graphical stats/fouls/calls often. I'd watch it. Just like being a fan at the game. Most of the commentary is drivel we already know anyway.

Anyone see brook stepp?
    Love the zags for life

Fran for me is the best TV color analyst in the biz besides Billy Raff. But not in this format. I pretty much knew it was going to be a disaster by not having a play to play guy.

Fran is incredible. I watch a lot of Big 12 games so I know. He's also a big Gonzaga guy. He was the very 1st TV color analyst to call Gonzaga a major conference program playing in a mid major league. I hope he is ESPN2's Saturday night GU/BYU color man....with a genuine play by play guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Fran for me is the best TV color analyst in the biz besides Billy Raff. But not in this format. I pretty much knew it was going to be a disaster by not having a play to play guy.

Fran is incredible. I watch a lot of Big 12 games so I know. He's also a big Gonzaga guy. He was the very 1st TV color analyst to call Gonzaga a major conference program playing in a mid major league. I hope he is ESPN2's Saturday night GU/BYU color man....with a genuine play by play guy.
    It’s Flemming and Farnham with the call.

There was a different announcer at the game - not sure who or why. He did fine but the volume was a bit high and his voice wasn’t easy on the ears. When we got home we watched a bit of the tape to see the ‘experiment’. Meh - on both counts. Thank you Zags for saving the whole experience with a 49 point 2nd half!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    There was a different announcer at the game - not sure who or why. He did fine but the volume was a bit high and his voice wasn’t easy on the ears. When we got home we watched a bit of the tape to see the ‘experiment’. Meh - on both counts. Thank you Zags for saving the whole experience with a 49 point 2nd half!
    Turned the sound off and listened to Huddy and Ammo. One can learn a lot about basketball listening to those two.

Commented in the game thread but abridged version is the experiment failed.

It could work -- I thought the analysts did fine for the most part (leaving aside the Brook Stepp comment and a few other head-scratchers) - but if they are going to take this approach, then a) the camera work has to be way better (no end zone views, no lingering bench shots of coach lost in thought, etc.; nobody's winning an Oscar here for camerawork, guys - just show the normal mid-court view 99% of the time when the ball is live) and b) the score/time/additional stats have to be updated in real-time and do a bit more of the "work" than if a play-by-play guy were present.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

I agree with most the comments on here about having a play by play guy for the little details they bring out in the game. What I did like is both guys flat said GU would win or compete to win the SEC and Big 12 this year. I do know Dykes gets a lot of crap on Twitter when he doesn't praise Kentucky, so I thought how he worded a UK vs. GU 10 game match up was just a way to avoid taking a ton of heat from UK fans. But then I was thinking about that match up and dang UK and GU both match up very well, with the X-Factor in my opinion being Kispert which is why we would win 8 of 10 against them.

They were very high on USF's coach and honestly, I agree he is a good one. His guys just didn't play in the 2nd half when we turned up the heat. I liked how Dykes ran over and listened in to their timeout and talked to the coaches, to me that's the kind of stuff that is interesting to listen too.

The part I was like dang this is terrible was the part when they sat their for a minute without talking and then gave their analysis, or I guess that's what they were trying to do, it was mostly bad. That is where a play by play guy comes in and Fran and Dykes can watch for 3-4 minutes and give a true analysis of what took place in that amount of time.

I definitely liked this combo better than if they would have sent Walton and Bilas to the Kennel, I may have not watched the game.