Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selection Committee "First 16" Discussion Thread - 2. 08. 20

I do love that all four 1 seeds are from the left half of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I don't see any way the national champs this year aren't Baylor, Duke or Kansas. I've thought it for a while and now they are 1-2-3 on Kenpom.

Nobody else close to balanced enough. Zags' defense and depth will be insurmountable (as far as winning 6 games in a row) but I do look forward to a great postseason and enjoying the rest of the regular season.

If anyone out there thinks anyone other than Baylor/Duke/Kansas can win a national championship, I'd love to hear reasons. It would possibly help sway me to believe more in the Zags!
    I don't give a hoot about metrics two-thirds of the way through the season. As far as I am concerned, the Zags will be the National Champs (until they are not). I won't waste my time speculating on somebody else being the "Champs" until/unless the Zags have been eliminated (which, of course, they won't be).

Smile B-ball Season is so much Fun

This pre-Dance show is always a highlight of the season. Especially when Zags are a No. 1 Seed. (Second year in a row!). Scared a little bit, however, about another prospective showdown with the Ducks.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Two of the top 4 seeds in our bracket — Huggy and Nova — lost today. So much for seeding.

I don't see any way the national champs this year aren't Baylor, Duke or Kansas. I've thought it for a while and now they are 1-2-3 on Kenpom.

Nobody else close to balanced enough. Zags' defense and depth will be insurmountable (as far as winning 6 games in a row) but I do look forward to a great postseason and enjoying the rest of the regular season.

If anyone out there thinks anyone other than Baylor/Duke/Kansas can win a national championship, I'd love to hear reasons. It would possibly help sway me to believe more in the Zags!
    Depends on matchups. Take this initial seeding. I can easily see Baylor beaten by Louisville and Kansas beaten by Florida State. Duke looks like they would get through their bracket, however they have been beaten by Stephen F. by damn Austin and a mediocre Clemson team that didn't even bring their football players to the proceedings.

Are the three teams you mention very strong? Yes. Are they beatable? Yes. Is Gonzaga a legit top eight team? Yes. Are the Zags capable of winning against this year's college basketball landscape. Yes, depending on the matchup.

I don't see any way the national champs the year aren't Baylor, Duke or Kansas. I've thought it for a while and now they are 1-2-3 on Kenpom.

Of course they can. Why? That's an easy question. Because it happens all this time. Where have you been? We're talking about March Madness... Logic seldom wins out. It's always nice to see how much confidence you have in the Zags. I believe the Zags could be national champs. We're #1 in the nation in offense. We're a #1 seed in the West. We've only lost one game. How much more do I need to say? You haven't believed in the Zags all year; so why start now? Be consistent.

Oh! and nice post on our most important game of the year.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Of course they can. Why? That's an easy question. Because it happens all this time. Where have you been? We're talking about March Madness... Logic seldom wins out. It's always nice to see how much confidence you have in the Zags. I believe the Zags could be national champs. We're #1 in the nation in offense. We're a #1 seed in the West. We've only lost one game. How much more do I need to say? Only you could put together a post like this on our most important game of the year.

Go Zags!!!
    There is NO WAY Baylor or Duke make it to the Final Four. Tonight's games are graphic evidence. Baylor struggled at home against an OK State team that is now 1-9 in conference, Duke needed divine intervention (and terrible FT shooting from UNC) to win the game, with a huge assist from the zebras.

First and foremost, we need a healthy Killian Tillie to make a deep run in the Dance. Heck, we need all 7 guys in the rotation to be 100% physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Depends on matchups. Take this initial seeding. I can easily see Baylor beaten by Louisville and Kansas beaten by Florida State. Duke looks like they would get through their bracket, however they have been beaten by Stephen F. by damn Austin and a mediocre Clemson team that didn't even bring their football players to the proceedings.
    Louisville, in my opinion, can take anybody out of the tournament on a given night I see them in the Final 4.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I've heard some internet discussion about how can Gonzaga be the #1 out west & SDSU be the #1 out east when SDSU is unbeaten.

You need to factor in that Washington, at the time they likely constructed this bracket, was still a quad 1 win for GU. It was a major rivalry game in a true road environment when UW was at full strength. That UW team also remains the only team to beat the number one overall seed, Baylor. These little details MATTER to the committee. The Creighton win by SDSU was achieved on a neutral floor. Gonzaga's win over Arizona was a true road game and their win over Oregon a neutral floor win. For me, the surprising factor in SDSU not being #1 out west is that they are just unbeaten. To me that's their greatest justification.

The committee is going to have a real mess on their hands if, say, Gonzaga loses narrowly at St. Mary's tonight (a possible quad 1 win) without Tillie but wins all their remaining games, and SDSU remains unbeaten. It's going to really test how much they value the unbeaten thing because the MWC just doesn't offer much to boost SDSU's resume. There is a decent chance they will not achieve better than 3 quad 2 wins the rest of the season.

I continue to say I'd rather be a #2 out west with SDSU as the #1 than be the #1 in the east and be forced to play Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium New York vs. future NBA players and a HoF coach.

And I do believe the committee, despite their bracket today, could still make GU and SDSU the top 2 seeds out west. The committee has consistently altered a team's seeding - stupidly in my view - so that they could remain in a specific region. The bracket is never a true S curve. I am fine with the geography thing in the first two rounds, but after that, after the top seeds, it should be ditched. Pure S curve after that. I think it was 2011 (or around that time) when Ohio State, the number one overall seed of the tourney by far, was assigned the Newark region with UNC as their #2 and Kentucky as their #4 for NO OTHER REASON than Newark was closer to UNC and Kentucky than any other regional site. It was one of the worst things the committee has ever done. UNC and UK were filled with lottery picks and had resumes deserving of them being assigned to regions outside of Newark. UK ended up beating OSU in the sweet 16, but OSU should NOT have played a team as good as UK in the sweet 16. They were totally screwed.

John Blanchette column re: Gonzaga vs. San Diego State and facing travel chllenges in the NCAA tourney:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ld-be-the-dif/

“It was razor close between Gonzaga and San Diego State,” offered the committee’s vice chair, University of Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart. “Gonzaga had a couple of wins just slightly better … Oregon and Arizona.”

That apparently outweighed the Aztecs’ two notable advantages – that unbeaten record and their spot atop the NET computer aggregation, eight spots ahead of GU.

“Razor’s edge difference,” Barnhart repeated.

Except this razor is about 2,500 miles wide.

The committee, at this juncture, is keeping Gonzaga in the West Region and assigning the Aztecs to the East – though both teams are almost assured to open the tournament at pods in Spokane and Sacramento, respectively. If they advance, the Zags would head to the Staples Center in Los Angeles – and SDSU to Madison Square Garden.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    John Blanchette column re: Gonzaga vs. San Diego State and facing travel chllenges in the NCAA tourney:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ld-be-the-dif/
    ...and of course arizona and oregon immediately go out and send the zags to msg to play duke. we'd rather lose than see the zags get the #1 seed in the west baby!!!

Can maybe the Zags' recent win over SMC by 30 in Moraga help sway you?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There is NO WAY Baylor or Duke make it to the Final Four. Tonight's games are graphic evidence. Baylor struggled at home against an OK State team that is now 1-9 in conference, Duke needed divine intervention (and terrible FT shooting from UNC) to win the game, with a huge assist from the zebras.

First and foremost, we need a healthy Killian Tillie to make a deep run in the Dance. Heck, we need all 7 guys in the rotation to be 100% physically.
    Tex - it's all speculation and fun here, no "right or wrong" answers - but if Baylor and Duke have "NOW WAY" (your caps) of making it to the FF, which 4 (or more) teams can?

Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    Can maybe the Zags' recent win over SMC by 30 in Moraga help sway you?
    It sways me a little. It was a good performance. But to go on a 6 game winning streak vs the best teams in the country is tough. I'd still bet on Duke, Kansas, or Baylor, simply based on balance. And I'd be very happy to be wrong. But the game tonight did sway me a little. Now I think I'd say:

Baylor/Kansas

Duke/GU

SDSU/Dayton/Louisville/Oregon

A bunch of teams with almost no chance to win 6 in a row.

It's not 6 against the best in the country. If you're a one seed its 4 or 5 against the best and one or two that you should dominate. Still a tough task, as Virginia showed 2 years ago. The thing I like best is that the Zags continue to improve and may peak at the right time. Still so much luck involved to get to the Natty.

Now GU is 2 in KenPom so there you go, you can believe again.

Gonzaga needs to stay in the West. I am predicting Gonzaga and Seton Hall in the final four. Seton Hall could very well win out and move up to a 2 seed.
    I don't know if the Zags would play them in the final four or for national champions. I think the Zags, with Tillie healthy, have one of the best front courts in the country and we have the guards to go with our bigs. I think Woolridge and Gilder will be huge for a final four run. Seton Hall has two 7-2 centers who are good defenders and a 6-11 big (can hit 3's) who is now healthy and knocked down 17 against Villanova. Add to that Myles Powell and you have a team that could really challenge the Zags.

Greatly encouraged that free throw percentage is up, defense is up, offense #1 in the country, but we need to stop making unforced turnovers which will kill us in the tournament. Texas Tech beat us by forcing turnovers, especially those of Brandon Clarke's. We were out coached in that game or else we would have made the final four.

Gonzaga and MSG is a bad bad bad combo. Steer clear.

Committee chair is Duke AD Blue Rep Tie, you really don’t think Dook will have clear path to F4 vis MSG? Last time a Duke was chair, Tom Butters, Devils got virtual byes to E8 every year. CBS calls the shots.

Baylor seems challenged offensive and I can see a team that is comfortable grinding a game out knocking Baylor off. KU would be a bad match up for GU because their defensive strength would challenge our post players, but KU is very prone to dropping an inexplicable game here and there, so I don't trust them to win enough games in a row to win it all. I will be very interested to see the Baylor/KU game on Feb 22. Duke almost lost to UNC on the road, and already dropped that head-scratcher to SFA, so I don't have the utmost confidence in them, either. SD St plays is a good defensive team that would be an interesting matchup against Baylor, and I don't think Baylor is an automatic win.

To your point about the Zag defense, when the Zags needed a strong defensive effort against really good offenses in BYU and SMC, they delivered. I tend to be an optimist, though. (As an aside, I would be way more confident if we had Watson and 2 healthy shoulders to rely on. He is a dynamic defensive player who can be plugged in all over the lineup). The depth scares me more than their defense right now, actually. I think that some of these good defensive teams haven't seen the an offense Zag offense. The Immovable object vs Irresistible Force quandary comes to mind. We've all seen how officiating (how much contact they allow) can tilt the scales, so it could be some dark horse I never dreamed of getting there.

Dayton has good numbers on Kenpom and has a really good player. They probably don't rebound enough, but I could see them getting lucky and making a push.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gonzaga and MSG is a bad bad bad combo. Steer clear.
    Unless they are playing against Tyler Hansbrough.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Unless they are playing against Tyler Hansbrough.
    Pleistocene Age.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Pleistocene Age.
    I don't know. I always thought of Tyler as Cro Magnon without melanin. That would place him in the Upper Palaeolithic time frame.

If Tillie stays healthy and that is so worrisome i believe Zags are a Final 4 team. Without him? Sweet 16. If we make the Final 4 its all a crap shoot for me. Also, i think 1 loss by us and if SDSU wins out, we are 1 seed out East.
    Love the zags for life