View Poll Results: The Best Guard Tandem at GU ?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Q / Santangelo

2 2.99%
  • Dickau / Stepp

15 22.39%
  • Raivio / Pargo

0 0%
  • Gray / Bouldin

1 1.49%
  • Pangos / Bell

9 13.43%
  • NWG / Perkins

36 53.73%
  • Wooly / Gilder

3 4.48%
  • Stockton / Condill

1 1.49%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best backcourt tandem ever?

Not because of where they got us but the force that was the guard group of NWG, Perkins, Mathews, and Melson had great maturity, leadership, defense and offensive ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    agree stockton/condill but partial to that era a little bit
    I’m partial too. Went to every game that year.

I went Pangos and Bell, just because...
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    1983-84

John Stockton SR G 6-1 20.9 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 7.2 Ast
    Bryce McPhee G 6-3 18.2 Pts, 6.7 Reb, 2.7 Ast
    Jeff Condill G 6-3 12.1 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 2.8 Ast
    I can testify, as I was on the staff when these guys played, that Stockton and McPhee
    We’re the most competitive guys I’ve ever been around. They could play today and be
    Tremendous

Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    I can testify, as I was on the staff when these guys played, that Stockton and McPhee
    We’re the most competitive guys I’ve ever been around. They could play today and be
    Tremendous
    I was only five years old at the time, but I saw a lot of games and Condill was pretty damn intense too. For this particular season, I noticed McPhee missed all but six games, but he did play in tandem with Stockton before that.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    I was only five years old at the time, but I saw a lot of games and Condill was pretty damn intense too. For this particular season, I noticed McPhee missed all but six games, but he did play in tandem with Stockton before that.
    JC was a terrific player, and very competitive too... no question

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    I voted Dickau and Stepp. The poll should also include a choice of John Stockton and Jeff Condill. The latter was an excellent player in his own right and played overseas just like others listed in the poll. John Stockton was overall as good in college as any of those listed. They were fun to watch in ‘83-84.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    agree stockton/condill but partial to that era a little bit
    Tremendous
    Added them to the choices, per your suggestions. TY.

I agree with you about those guys being tremendous if they were to play today. I also wonder how Burgess would stack up.
    Agent provocateur

How about Dixon, Rillie, Goss?

That generation deserves to be on the vote list.

Nwg/perks

And then stepp and danny.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    As a hypothetical to your reasoning, if a healthy frontcourt of BC/RUI/Tillie had brought GU a title last year with the same backcourt of Norvell and Perkins both doing what they did (solid play with some obvious weak spots), would that season result make Perkins+Norvell the greatest backcourt duo in Zags history? Seems like you're saying yes it would. It also seems like the logical extension of that view would imply that whichever team gets closest to a title is therefor composed of all the various greatest individual parts or duos of Zag history. Does the 2017 automatically have the best wing or power forward since that team made it the farthest? The best wing pairing in Matthews/Melson?

In my view it's completely possible to have an amazing (including the best ever) player or tandem at position "x" without the team being among the best ever. I don't think there's any question that the greatest wing in GU history was Morrison, rather than Jordan Matthews who helped lead the '17 team to the title game.

My answer to the question would depend on if one factors in longevity or not. If longevity of tenure is relevant, then definitely Pangos/Bell.

If best single season - I say gotta be the '01 pairing of Dickau/Stepp. (slightly better than their '02 season, and all defensive limitations noted)
    Your refutation of my rationale for choosing NWG and Perkins is absolutely correct. How far the respective players’ Zags squad advanced in the tourney should not be sole determinant of “best ever” status. I will stick w my choice and add that Perks and NWG get my vote because of, in addition to FF success, the intangibles they demonstrated: leadership, execution of scouting report and commitment to game plan, defensive intensity.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Off topic, but this thread got me thinking about the NWG/Perkins team and I think they would waltz to a national championship this year.

Hard to pick, so many variables, both athletic and personal.

Got to give a shout out to Bouldin/Gray, two of my all time favorite ZAGS. No telling where they could have led a team with the depth and quality of bigs now in the program.

Best backcourt hair duo........................those two for sure.

Can't argue with any of the choices, they all brought so much!!

Go ZAGS

I voted for Woody-Gilder, but what my opinion really is, is that I need to add Ayayi to the group. To leave him out of this groupo would be an injustice to this team, as well as, to this guard tandem. These three are a very special group, and all 3 should be included in a ranking of Gonzaga Guard Tandems. Ayayi brings so much to this group, and our team would definitely not be who we are without him. AS has been written many times, he amazes us by how he fills out his stat sheets. He hits timely threes, he slips and slides his way through every defense to the hoop, and has a way of putting that ball into the basket. He's a great rebounder. All three of these guards have their unique style of attacking a defense, and they do it more successfully than any other guards. All three are real good outside shooters, and all three attack the basket better than any other group of guards. Blake Stepp would fit in really well this group. He had the same kind of playing style. Few has called Woolridge the best defensive guard he's ever had. That MUST count for something. AND I love the way he handles a basketball.........so creative.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!