Thread: injury blackout

Default injury blackout

- why does the women's team have a blackout on injury reports?
    - I get that in the strict sense, medical information is personal
    - But, I cannot think of another sport or team that seems to make a point of not saying what an injured players condition is.
    - the world know's Katie injured her knee, why keep it a secret as to type of injury, length of time until able to return to playing, or if her season is over.
    - come on, every other day of the week, a national broadcast is made of some college player being injured and out for x number of weeks, or for the season.
    - as a fan I'm half upset that Gonzaga does not do me the courtesy of an update.

- realize others will have a differing opinion, that is fine. but this is how i think and feel.

- prayers have gone out to Katie, wishing her the best now and in post graduation life.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - why does the women's team have a blackout on injury reports?
    - I get that in the strict sense, medical information is personal
    - But, I cannot think of another sport or team that seems to make a point of not saying what an injured players condition is.
    - the world know's Katie injured her knee, why keep it a secret as to type of injury, length of time until able to return to playing, or if her season is over.
    - come on, every other day of the week, a national broadcast is made of some college player being injured and out for x number of weeks, or for the season.
    - as a fan I'm half upset that Gonzaga does not do me the courtesy of an update.

- realize others will have a differing opinion, that is fine. but this is how i think and feel.

- prayers have gone out to Katie, wishing her the best now and in post graduation life.
    +1... What's up with KC?

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I don't know if most schools take this approach, but GU definitely isn't the only one. Haley Jones has been out for several weeks from Stanford, there is no info available about her. Dijonai Carrington has missed most of the season and Maya Dodson has not played at all for the Card, same, no info. Oregon St. has been very much not forthcoming w/ any kinds of updates about a pair of 6-9 players who have not played yet in their OSU careers (1 is a frosh, the other has now missed 2 seasons). Oh and also for Stanford 2 time National POY Kathleen Plummer missed about half of the last volleyball season and there wasn't much explained about her situation either.

Sad news. Best wishes to Katie during her recovery and rehab.

This kind of thing happens all the time at almost every school like seacat said we just donít notice it because itís not GU. The only difference is, this is our team and we follow them and any news there is about them everyday. So it seems like no news is coming out, or it takes forever to get information. We want to know something as soon as it happens because we have a connection to these ladyís. But unfortunately this is how the business of college sports works, hold any and all information close so others donít know what you have or donít have. Thatís just my take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad to hear that the injury was season ending... get healed soon Katie.

It was great to see Katie with the team... that’s what family does.

Another tough road game...

And what can you say about Jill... one tough cowgirl. That kind of toughness rubs off...

Go Zags!!

- well this is the bad news I was all but certain of.........darn.
    - again we pray for Katie, and thank her for her dedication to the team.
    - I always hope and expect the players to show improvement from year to year, and Katie certainly do so. that work ethic will serve her very well, whatever many paths she has yet to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfooot View Post
    This kind of thing happens all the time at almost every school
    We've definitely had our share. Chels is struggling with her foot now. Plus the knee. Perhaps the shoulder as well, which kinda never goes away.

The strain on these young ladies bodies is enormous, especially as in Chelsey's case where she's been going now since she was 6-7 years old. And I actually believe that it's incredible that she's done this well.

One thing that we consciously did with her for as long as possible, was make sure that she did NOT specialize (in just basketball) too early. She did three sports (flag football, softball/baseball and basketball) sometimes on the "boys" team. How we used to do it as kids.

"Little Girl Power!"
    https://youtu.be/qlCgGpvPrSc

Working different parts and muscles of our bodies. When she got to her sophomore year in high school, this was no longer feasible or practical. But I believe it helped her overall because she didn't have as much repetitive stress to contend with. We also had concerted efforts on her movements and mobility to safeguard (as much as possible) from catastrophic injury.

But you can't prevent this stuff completely. A player is just a jump step, "stop and shot" or awkward landing away from injury. I still wince every single time she goes down...

In our case it was an automobile accident (not basketball) the summer before college that exacerbated her situation. Things happen. So you just have to take what life brings your way.

I hate what happened to KC. And to Gabby Green last year, Gonzales on BYU. These ladies are warriors. And I respect the grit and determination, hard work, emotion, triumphs and heart breaks that they endure.

Last night I called Chels and had a (brief) heart to heart with her. Put this in perspective. There's no "pressure" here.

She's getting a fantastic education, making friends... And yes, even doing the thing she's loves most.

Playing basketball. And however things turn out, it's all okay. As long as she's having fun!

I look at that "Little Girl Power" clip often. It keeps me centered. And reminds me that the little nine year old scoring that touchdown in a rec park somewhere in South Central Los Angeles is still having the time of her life; and her #1 Fan is still cheering his @$& off on the sidelines for her, realizing that these are the most precious moments that we must cherish.

Go Zags.
    #LionStrong

The little girl power video is so sweet. I love watching it.

Nice Keith, proud papa and deservedly so!

Great post CG3, thanks for continuing to offer your perspective as the father of a player. Cheers and best wishes to your daughter during the rest of her time at LMU.

Gut check time.

Chelsey went down in the 4th. Hard.

Butted heads with a player that was setting a hard screen. My buddy (a coach from out here) literally had just made a comment about this.

Don't believe the other player was at fault, not really going there. It's just "one of those things that happen" that I was mentioning in my prior post. I can't even watch it again at this point.

Went to the locker room with Chels. Lots of tears.

Don't know where this takes us...? I just want her to be safe. And to know how much we love her.

Much prayers needed my friends.

Sorry to hear about Chelsey, CG3Dad.

We will keep both of you in our prayers.

ZagDad

Well wishes and health to Chelsey (Katie, Jill and others); much as we want to see a good game these are young players with others aspects of their lives ahead of them, be safe and well for all of it.

Just got done watching the movie Best of Enemies. Would suggest every one take the time to watch that movie. Lesson even the most harden of hearts can be changed for the better.

Most all of us here on the forum I dare say are quite fanatical fans. However our number one priority is that are girls come away healthy from each game. CG3Dad its going to be ok with Chelsey, especially with such a understanding and caring Dad. Keep an eye out for signs of concussion, take it slow.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-09-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Sorry to hear the basketball season is done for you Katie Campbell, we are heart broken about the injury. But Katie (Mighty Mouse) have to say being a skinny kid myself you were amazing inspiration to me and anyone with our body type as a youngster who saw you play for Gonzaga. You showed us its not the size of the package, but the fire, passion, and heart that counts.

Katie I remember watching you in the Kennel as a sophomore and saw you punch the ball away in frustration, I perked up and took note of that fire. Then I seen the same thing on another game in the Kennel and I said to myself this little 90 pound looking girl has the will to succeed, despite her size she will not be held back.

Am sure Katie this same passion that made you succeed as a Lady Zag and improve dramatically every year on the court, will serve you well in life. You will succeed in whatever you put that same fire, passion, and heart into.

Its been so fun watching you grow these last 3 years as a Lady Zag fan. You showed us this year you could do it all as a basketball player be a elite defender, get steals by the bucketload, dish out not just assists but jaw dropping passes, get baskets from anywhere, and even be a tenacious rebounder. Thanks for the show Katie it was our honor watching you play.

Quote Originally Posted by CG3Dad View Post
    Gut check time.

Chelsey went down in the 4th. Hard.

Butted heads with a player that was setting a hard screen. My buddy (a coach from out here) literally had just made a comment about this.

Don't believe the other player was at fault, not really going there. It's just "one of those things that happen" that I was mentioning in my prior post. I can't even watch it again at this point.

Went to the locker room with Chels. Lots of tears.

Don't know where this takes us...? I just want her to be safe. And to know how much we love her.

Much prayers needed my friends.

So sorry to hear this, I hope Chelsey is okay.

CG3Dad sorry to hear this. Sending you and your family prayers.