Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Saint Mary's - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Just to add, hope we hit FTs, critical.

SMC is one of the few that is capable of shooting the lights out.

I worry that poor Tillie will still be really ginger on that ankle and cannot be the athlete he has been, not yet. Hope he shoots well.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The Gaels will put Petrusev in pick and roll situations all night long...
    hopefully the Zags have a solid plan to deal with that, because they
    are going to see it.

Gaels have been leading the nation in 3-point shot percentage. They were 1-15 on 3-pointers against USD last night. Don’t expect that tomorrow. They’ll slow it down, so game in the 70’s. Last-second bucket by Zags seals the deal.

Go Zags ! Beat the Gaels.
    GU - 75 SMC - 68

Too many variables. Best guess:

Zags 77
    Gaels 69

Go Zags!!! Beat the Gaels!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Too many variables. Best guess:

Zags 77
    Gaels 69

Go Zags!!! Beat the Gaels!

GU 86-67. Hit the boards. Protect the 3

Recent history suggests lower scoring. Given the situations on both teams tomorrow, I'll go:

Zags 78
    Gaels 70

Zags 78- 73

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

hey Markburn, always a good read

Few has had Petro hard hedge more lately, last couple games or so, didn't look too bad, maybe it gives up a corner look with the weakside help? Zags have played it like this before vs. SMC giving up that look like that (to Pineau), but the rest of the Zags can switch ok. Timme will be tested here too on his D which he's been answering for weeks now

I hesitate to say every team the Zags have faced have looked to attack Petro fast and furious and get him iso'd on the perimeter and in the paint too, but it seems like every team has. if so it will be more of the same.

At least what I've seen from SMC with Ford tho is Bennett has him 1v1 more instead of bringing defenders to him with the screen literally every trip down like he used to with other guards. Maybe that is inaccurate, I have not seen them much. Not that they didn't go to it but seemingly less. Maybe with Petro the target tho even moreso, like all the Zag opponents. Golden wanted Lull on Petro in there, he was pissed whn Petro tagged him instead

Petro putting pressure on the other team's interior, Timme providing that 1-2 punch even bigger in there, I think that has to continue, and to your point about entries being a focus without forcing, the turnover battle could be huge; can the Zags spurt away with a stretch of play (it's been in the second half a lot, d adjustments and transition) and hit clutch FTs

we'll see and looking forward to it

I'm looking forward to the Ford/Woolridge match up. GU defended him well last year and won easily twice. Then at WCC tournament, SMC played a perfect game. So I expect a similar game plan from SMC. Few will have a plan, let's hope the players can execute the plan! Go Zags!

Remember beating them by 48?? Best barn burner I’ve ever seen. That ain’t gonna happen. This one makes me nervous because the Gaels are the best 3 shooting team I’ve watched this year. We got to shut this production down. We got to get to the line early, and hit. Essentially we need to do a whole lot right and make less mistakes then the Gaels. 79-75, Gonzaga prevail. Less then 24 hours to tip! Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    hey Markburn, always a good read

Few has had Petro hard hedge more lately, last couple games or so, didn't look too bad, maybe it gives up a corner look with the weakside help? Zags have played it like this before vs. SMC giving up that look like that (to Pineau), but the rest of the Zags can switch ok. Timme will be tested here too on his D which he's been answering for weeks now

I hesitate to say every team the Zags have faced have looked to attack Petro fast and furious and get him iso'd on the perimeter and in the paint too, but it seems like every team has. if so it will be more of the same.

At least what I've seen from SMC with Ford tho is Bennett has him 1v1 more instead of bringing defenders to him with the screen literally every trip down like he used to with other guards. Maybe that is inaccurate, I have not seen them much. Not that they didn't go to it but seemingly less. Maybe with Petro the target tho even moreso, like all the Zag opponents. Golden wanted Lull on Petro in there, he was pissed whn Petro tagged him instead

Petro putting pressure on the other team's interior, Timme providing that 1-2 punch even bigger in there, I think that has to continue, and to your point about entries being a focus without forcing, the turnover battle could be huge; can the Zags spurt away with a stretch of play (it's been in the second half a lot, d adjustments and transition) and hit clutch FTs

we'll see and looking forward to it

Thanks for the shoutout, beach.

You are correct on Ford vs McConnel and Dellevadova. Ford is a different player than Bennett is used to. Watching Delly used to drive me crazy. That kid made the correct decision every dang time on the pick and roll. His skip passes were incredible and his control of his body and the ball while probing down the lane was as good as I’ve ever seen from a college player. McConnel was almost as good and he was a better shooter to boot. Ford uses the high pick but not as much. But, he’s very creative at finding space to get his shot off.

Credit to Bennett for adjusting to his available talent.

Enjoy the game folks. If you ever get a chance to see one of these games in Moraga, take it. People make fun of their “gym “ but there are few places to watch college basketball that are more electric.

Gonzaga 88
    St Mary's 72

Gonzaga's got such a potent offense, and St Mary's doesn't have one of the better defensive teams in the country: so I just don't see how they will be able to stay with us. Tillie will be back playing and that just adds more fuel to the fire.

I'm not worried at all about Ayayi. He's going to have a great game, He will be ready for this one, as will the whole team. The Zags have been waiting for a game like this for a long time, and they are soooooo ready. It's a game like this one that some of the Zags came to Gonzaga. This is a great rivalry. I just feel that the Zags want to see Randy Bennett walk past Few and not shake his hand. I just feel that Randy is not going to be having much fun in this game. The Zags ARE NOT ready to be upset. In fact I think it's going to be just the opposite. The are ready to dominate.

I too look forward to Woolridge matching up with Ford and Timme with Fitts. I know Timme is feeling sooooo ready to do battle with him.And I know they have good guards, but i'm looking forward to the Zag guards dominate St Marys'.

I'm surprised that I feel as positive as I do about the game. I just know the Zags have been waiting for this one.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Gaels hard double Petrusev every time he touches the ball. Filip, never good at passing out of the post, commits five TOs and misses three FTs; that, combined with Joel and Corey making just two of ten treys, have GU trailing by six at the half, 41-35. As they so often do, Bulldogs tighten D after the break, Timme replaces Petro, game's pace reduced to a crawl by SMC's deliberate play, numerous fouls, and turnovers by both teams, who combine for just 65 pts in second half. Zags tally 35 of them. Final score: 70-68. Winning margin secured after Woolridge, fouled on a controversial call driving to the hoop with just five seconds on the clock, sinks both FTs. Ford's driving layup on the other end partially blocked by Tillie. Bennet screams for goal-tending. No call. Replay inconclusive, depending on your rooting interest. Pandemonium. Security rushes refs and Zags from the floor; no handshakes between coaches or teams, for which both coaches were grateful. Luckily, no one's hurt. In the end, everyone relieved that the game was in Moraga & not Provo.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Gaels hard double Petrusev every time he touches the ball. Filip, never good at passing out of the post, commits five TOs and misses three FTs; that, combined with Joel and Corey making just two of ten treys, have GU trailing by six at the half, 41-35. As they so often do, Bulldogs tighten D after the break, Timme replaces Petro, game's pace reduced to a crawl by SMC's deliberate play, numerous fouls, and turnovers by both teams, who combine for just 65 pts in second half. Zags tally 35 of them. Final score: 70-68. Winning margin secured after Woolridge, fouled on a controversial call driving to the hoop with just five seconds on the clock, sinks both FTs. Ford's driving layup on the other end partially blocked by Tillie. Bennet screams for goal-tending. No call. Replay inconclusive, depending on your rooting interest. Pandemonium. Security rushes refs and Zags from the floor; no handshakes between coaches or teams, for which both coaches were grateful. Luckily, no one's hurt. In the end, everyone relieved that the game was in Moraga & not Provo.
    pretty creative post. a fun read. You should become a Movie Director///you have a good way of putting it down on paper

Good ending.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags 78

Smc 77
    Love the zags for life

Us 81
    Them 74

76-67 Zags

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

77-70

GU

Default Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    76-67 Zags

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My heart says zags 75-71 but I think the Zags get upset tonight 65-61. I think a Fitts is the real deal and I think the Gaels will hit 11 3’s. I am hoping my mind says differently but the Gaels are a tough out in Moraga.

Zags will bounce back and get the game in Spokane on senior night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 88
    St Mary's 72

Gonzaga's got such a potent offense, and St Mary's doesn't have one of the better defensive teams in the country: so I just don't see how they will be able to stay with us. Tillie will be back playing and that just adds more fuel to the fire.

I'm not worried at all about Ayayi. He's going to have a great game, He will be ready for this one, as will the whole team. The Zags have been waiting for a game like this for a long time, and they are soooooo ready. It's a game like this one that some of the Zags came to Gonzaga. This is a great rivalry. I just feel that the Zags want to see Randy Bennett walk past Few and not shake his hand. I just feel that Randy is not going to be having much fun in this game. The Zags ARE NOT ready to be upset. In fact I think it's going to be just the opposite. The are ready to dominate.

I too look forward to Woolridge matching up with Ford and Timme with Fitts. I know Timme is feeling sooooo ready to do battle with him.And I know they have good guards, but i'm looking forward to the Zag guards dominate St Marys'.

I'm surprised that I feel as positive as I do about the game. I just know the Zags have been waiting for this one.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn, I'm with you on this one...I think this game is a double-digit win for GU...SMC will be going through all three of their Bigs by game's end - because Filip and Timme will be shooting an abundance of FT's (and hopefully making many more than they miss)!

I think Tillie will be guarding Fitts with Timme doing the same when Tillie is resting. I think our "D" is going to be superb tonight and hope the ball stays in Ford's hands most of the game...would like to see him shoot 14-20 times.

I wonder which of SMC's guards will be guarding whom...Gilder and Joel are going to be tough match-ups and Woolridge will be a nightmare on every SMC missed shot...

GU 83-72
    Last edited by Bogozags; 02-08-2020 at 03:17 PM.

GU 80
    SMC 71
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

SMC will slow tempo, stretch the floor and ask Jordan Ford to go to work. This will probably be a tough game to watch for me because SMC is very good at getting the shots they want, and this Zag team has been particularly bad about letting that happen. I’d guess we’re going to see a lot of pick and role involving Petrusev. I’m hoping the last few games were a sign of boredom, because they answered the call against BYU, and they will need a good effort tonight.

Zags - 81
    Gaels - 73
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus