Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Saint Mary's - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Saint Mary's - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Definitely qualifies as a big game. Gaels come in 6-2 in their last 8, last loss was at BYU... barely. Oh, and the barely beat USD tonight. Tough game to read, but you know Randy will have them ready to play hard.

What are you expecting to see against SMC? Hoping to see? Thoughts? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

88-68 Zags

Hope we play hard defense especially on Ford. If we don't it could be a long night on their court. SMC well balanced team and at home. 6 rgular season games left and we need them all. 4 are tough ones. I do hope Tillie is back for the rest of the season. I was glad to see Few "encouraging" better focused play tonight. I hope he reminds them come Saturday.

I have a hard time seeing us going through the rest of the WCC undefeated, the guys are just held together by glue hoping to get healthy and have it come together.

This will be tough to call. SMC could get on fire from 3 and beat us by 15. We could win by 25.

I think they gut out another one like USF

GU 86
    SMC 80
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I expect Tillie will play in Moraga. I also expected him to play last night though. And also expected a much better 1st half last night. If fatigue is an issue this time of the season the score in Moraga will be close and below season averages. I believe the Zags will grind out a win. I hope I’m wrong and the Zags score 100.

Zags 85
    Gaels 80

Zags 82-72, Tillie with a big outing
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

83*73 Zags
    It's not funny.

zags 76
    Gaels 66
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Predicting a lot closer game then I’m comfortable watching. I’d rather it be a blowout, but....Zags win 75-71.
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Some great TV news for tomorrow. After the Duke game on ESPN, they are showing some UFC nonsense, not another college hoop game. Those always end on time, which means the beginning of the Zags vs Gaels game won't have to start on ESPNEWS. Hooray !
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Gaels try to slow it down...Zags 71, SMC 68...a nail biter.

Zags Twin Towers (Filip & Drew) need to dominate the smaller Gael front.

Need Joel to snap out of his funk, too. When you're down to six players, there's no rest for the weary. SMC will make the Zags pay for any defensive lapses. Joel isn't the only one, just the most visible from last night.

Hoping for Drew to score at least 12, that would give the Zags 7 players averaging ten (or more) PPG.

ETA: Here's my bold and outlandish prediction (time for the next cup of coffee...lol). Drew is setting the table for consideration of WCC POY for the 2020-2021 season. He will be the player the rest of the league despises, thanks to that motor and competitiveness of his. The spirit he displays on the court was forged in HS, playing against the best teams and players the DFW Metroplex has to offer.

I'm not surprised there was an adjustment period early for Drew, just as there was for Admon. With the latest injury to Killian, Drew stepped into the breach, into a starter's role that he is undoubtedly accustomed to. I knew from the game I saw him play when he was a junior in HS that he had "Zag" written all over him: GREAT teammate, excellent passer, ability to handle double/triple teams, deft scoring touch in the paint, with a motor that knows one speed - full blast.

This game outright scares me. Zags the last few games have had some serious cold spells shooting. They've managed to escape that, but just feel like it is going to bite them eventually.

SMC seems to play whatever game their opponent wants to play. You run, they run. You grind, they grind. Whatever the result, it WON'T be good for my heart.

Zags 88
    SMC 83
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zags 79 Gaels 71
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    This game outright scares me. Zags the last few games have had some serious cold spells shooting. They've managed to escape that, but just feel like it is going to bite them eventually.

SMC seems to play whatever game their opponent wants to play. You run, they run. You grind, they grind. Whatever the result, it WON'T be good for my heart.

Zags 88
    SMC 83
    I think we can avoid scoring droughts by pounding it in to Filip and Drew early and often. Personally, I prefer going to Drew over Filip, because Drew's a better passer, creating more open shots in the high/low. Of course, the guards and Corey need to knock down those open looks.

Filip is our punisher, with the ability to put his defenders in foul trouble.

It's a radically different team without Killian in the mix. More of a traditional inside/out game, relying more on the inside. With Killian playing point forward, he brings an athleticism that Drew just can't quite match...nor can the opponents. Sag off KT and he'll kill you with the 3, get in his face and he'll maneuver his way for that short jumper that no one can stop, or he'll lob it in to Filip for the easy bucket.

Zags - 82
    University of St Mary's - 76

I expect a stressful game, similar to USF, but without the Zags falling so far behind and having to claw their way back. I would love to see an entire game played with the intensity showed in the second half of last night's game. You know St Mary's will bring it.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

ZAGS 79 SMC 73

Thinking 80-70 Zags.

Just don't want to see Petrusev guarding Ford off of a high screen way out by the 3 point line - over and over and over again!

GU 83
    SMC 68

Zags 79
    SMC 76

Just Win BAYBEE 78 74 good guys

BLOW OUT CITY!!

Zags - 88
    Gaels - 63

This will be an interesting chess match between Bennett and Few.

St.Mary's rotation is guard heavy. Fitts is their tallest player at 6'8". They rotate Fotu and Bowen at the other forward position. The rest of the minutes are guards although Krebs has decent size at 6'6".

Gonzaga matches up well on the defensive end with most of this. Between Woolridge, Gilder, Ayayi and Kispert they should be able to limit penetration and kick outs to the Gaels very efficient three point shooters. The combination of Tillie, Timme and Kispert is capable of slowing Fitts down. Here's the challenge in my mind. Bennett will obviously try to exploit the weak link in this matchup which turns out to be whoever Petrusev is guarding. Watch for that guy, whoever it is, to set high picks for Ford in an attempt to get Petrusev isolated on him to exploit Filip's lack of foot speed. Here's what I would do. I would have Filip hedge extremely hard until Woolridge (or whomever is guarding Ford) can recover and resume guarding Jordan. Filip and the guard will have to make sure Ford can't split the hedge and either force him to give it up or be content to work one on one against Woolridge or Ayayi. I think the Zags win that. Strangely enough, Ford only averages two assists per game. He isn't going to hurt GU with his passing to the man Petrusev is guarding. Kuhse is actually more of a threat to pass while Ford is looking to score nearly every time he touches the ball. Of course the Zags can't give up layups to the roll guy so the other three Zag defenders will have to play some help defense when the ball is on the opposite side of the court. However, the trick will be to help if need be, but make sure to be in a position to recover and contest three point shots. Ayayi...please get a hand up!!!

On the offensive end for the Zags, I don't think St. Mary's stands a chance against the Zags interior game. However, I would caution against forcing the ball inside just to say they are following the game plan. Sometimes they fall in love with the high low entry pass from straight out. If they simply run their offense for ten to fifteen seconds they will create open looks and better angles for entry passes to the post. Pretty sure Bennett will explore doubling the post so guards need to relocate when the ball goes there and be ready to catch and shoot.

I hope to see Tillie launch a couple threes early and bury them. That will get the Gaels attention and they might start looking around trying to figure out who to guard.

Good challenge for the Zags. Should be fun.

I like St. Mary's and hope they make the big dance. However, without incredible shooting against the Zags, they are not going to win.
    They have two centers that are over 7 foot, but they are way too slow to keep up with the Zags front court. Their current lineup of using
    a 6-7 and 6-8 center will just not cut it, especially if we have Tillie. If we can keep Fitts under control and off the boards, we will do fine.
    Looking for Zags 84 - St. Mary's 74.

ZAGS 86
    GAELS 74

Close for a half, then talent and size wins out. Like to see Gilder knock down a flurry of 3's, also want to see Kispert get to the line often. Hoping that Tillie is not needed for extended minutes in this one. Will be an in-game decision of course. Timme could have a big game down low.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Defend Ford
    Defend Gael's 3 pt shootings
    Defend Malik Fitts

GU 81
    SMC 77

Go Zags!