Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Loyola Marymount - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I'm picturing a t-shirt with Arlauskas peering out from behind jail bars. $14.95 all day long...is that still legal?
    Pretty soon you'll be able to do it, you'll just have to pay Arla to use his likeness.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Apologies... thread got accidentally locked.
    My prediction is Doomed....

91 - 74

Gonzaga!!!

GU 85
    LMU 69

Go Zags!

Zags 101

Lmu 61
    Love the zags for life

- hope to see another 19 point performance from timmie.............as that will put him at 10.0 average and become the 7th player at 10 or above, unheard of!
    - (or 15 points in the next two games)

Speaking of LMU:

LOS ANGELES -- Loyola Marymount plans to unveil a statue of Hank Gathers this month to mark the 30th anniversary of the school's run to the Elite Eight after his fatal collapse on the court.

The statue will debut outside Gersten Pavilion on Feb. 29, before the Lions' last home game of the season against San Francisco. Former coach Paul Westhead and members of the 1989-90 team will attend and be honored at halftime.

Gathers' No. 44 jersey was retired by the school in 2000. The entire team was inducted into LMU's Hall of Fame in 2005. He was the second player in NCAA history to lead the nation in both scoring and rebounding in the same season.

The statue was created by Rotblatt-Amrany, the same studio that designed statues at Staples Center and Michael Jordan's statue outside Chicago's United Center. Gathers' mother, Lucille, and other family members were able to view the statue's creation in progress.

Gathers collapsed on March 4, 1990, in a West Coast Conference tournament game. He was taken to a hospital where he died at age 23. The rest of the tournament was canceled and the Lions were awarded the league's NCAA tournament bid because they had won the regular-season title. They went on to reach the Elite Eight before losing to eventual national champion UNLV.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Speaking of LMU:

LOS ANGELES -- Loyola Marymount plans to unveil a statue of Hank Gathers this month to mark the 30th anniversary of the school's run to the Elite Eight after his fatal collapse on the court.

The statue will debut outside Gersten Pavilion on Feb. 29, before the Lions' last home game of the season against San Francisco. Former coach Paul Westhead and members of the 1989-90 team will attend and be honored at halftime.

Gathers' No. 44 jersey was retired by the school in 2000. The entire team was inducted into LMU's Hall of Fame in 2005. He was the second player in NCAA history to lead the nation in both scoring and rebounding in the same season.

The statue was created by Rotblatt-Amrany, the same studio that designed statues at Staples Center and Michael Jordan's statue outside Chicago's United Center. Gathers' mother, Lucille, and other family members were able to view the statue's creation in progress.

Gathers collapsed on March 4, 1990, in a West Coast Conference tournament game. He was taken to a hospital where he died at age 23. The rest of the tournament was canceled and the Lions were awarded the league's NCAA tournament bid because they had won the regular-season title. They went on to reach the Elite Eight before losing to eventual national champion UNLV.
    Reno THANKS for finding this and posting it here...I'm sure many on this board were not yet seeing day light so this is a great reminder!

I'm so happy to hear that he will be recognized for his accomplishments on and off the court. He was a very special man and I hope someone posts the ceremony on this board for all to view. Having all his team mates were also recognized for their accomplishments...that was an awesome team and very entertaining too!

Paul Westhead was a genius...he got the right players together to put that offence together and I loved that team...I saw his team play many, many times and without the USC transfers of Kimble and Gather's that team would have been just another small college D1 team. I and tons of others all hated Hank left us at such an early age...I would have loved to have seen the repeat of UNLV vs LMU with Hank...it might have turned out differently the second time around BUT IMO the 1990 UNLV team was the best I had ever seen...I wonder how the Lakers and the NBA would have looked, if Coach Westhead didn't have that bicycle accident.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I remember that day like it was yesterday; such a dark day for college basketball. That LMU team was a lot of fun to watch.

Anyways, hope to see a lot of Marty in the 2nd half tomorrow. Not just to see him play, but it would mean we have a decent lead.

I had the distinct honor of being last (too optimistic) for the last game. I’ll try and not repeat that again.

GU 87
    LMU 64

Lions 61
    Zags 92

Go Zags - Beat the Lions!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

zags 85
    lmu 62

Zagsobserver, you better not be last. I am only one point different

GU 87
    LMU 60

Zags win 90-60.

I’d like to see more Arlauskas.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

GU-99
    USD-64

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I had the distinct honor of being last (too optimistic) for the last game. I’ll try and not repeat that again.

GU 87
    LMU 64
    Zags11 and I are a bit on the optimistic side this time. Each with triple digits for the Zags and a 40-ish spread. I’m betting on a few Zags getting hot and specifically Kispert and Ayayi. Also good Zag D w/ some spiffy steals & fast breaks.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

91-59 GU

Not sure if Tillie playing or not tonight will have a major impact on the final score. That being said,

Zags 85
    Lions 61

GU - 89
    LMU - 62
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

94-55. The quality of mercy, once again, leaves the building early. Do I have to guess who wins, too?

Zags 88
    Lions 60

Go Zags!!!

Zags 87-62. Same score as last time. Home court minus Tillie vs away game with Tillie.

Zags 91

Lions 67

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

GO ZAGS!

Hope Tills has a night off or plays like 10mins. The team can absorb his absence tonight. Want the kid to heal properly.

Grand totals:
    Gonzaga 96
    LMU 64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Data entry place holder. Data is in. I will TRY and get results up tonight, but with such a late start, might need to crash and do it in the AM. That being said... with the group think on this one could make for either a really tight race and a great average score... or it will just be ugly for a bunch of us... me included... I am up to my neck in the grouping on this.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death