Thread: Looking ahead at this week (Feb 2-Feb 8-2020).

Default Looking ahead at this week (Feb 2-Feb 8-2020).

It doesn't get any easier, and maybe it gets tougher. Looking ahead to this week I see St Mary's looming on the horizon on Saturday. We know that playing at San Francisco is always very hard, but playing at St Mary's is really hard, and is one of the very toughest games of the year. Playing at Arizona and AT the UW were tough Road games, but this is a tough road game IN CONFERENCE. AND it's our biggest rivalry game of the year.

I'm really happy that we play at home on Thursday against Loyola Marymount. Playing those two Road games with only a short rest in between was a really tough week that they just went through. I know they're going to love being at home on Thursday playing before their home fans and the Kennel Club. Saint Mary's plays at San Diego which is going to be a Road game for them. I believe that this is going to help us a little. And hopefully, a little bit is all we're going to need.

Mark Few vs Randy Bennett is one of college basketball's great rivalries. Bennett has done a great job at making St Mary's one of college basketball's better teams every year. And this fact is what makes this game with them such a rivalry. I always look forward to watching the hand shake between Few and Bennett at the end of the game. Over the years there have been some extremely funny hand shakes. If you really feel like calling them hand shakes.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I am thankful for the LMU game Thursday. I think the men will handle them easily 88-60 or so. It will also allow either an extra game for Tillie to heal, so he will be ready for Saint Mary's or it will allow the rotation to be ironed out. The team will all know what to expect of them, and will perform against SMC.

I have watched the SMC-San Francisco game, which SMC won, and the BYU game that they lost. They have some good players but control Jordan Ford, and they lose much of their firepower. I expect the Zags to win that game as well. A hard fought match up, but not as close as the SF game. The team will know their assignments and be ready to go.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

without tass i can't see how smc can get away with not doubling the post...on the other hand, if tillie can't go or is limited, i don't know who can guard fitts.

LMU will be a 20+ point win for GU as "Home Cooking" will be evident...shots will fall and defence will be superb...Tillie might sit another game to recuperate

At SMC is always tough but with a healthy Tillie, GU will win going away..."IF" Tillie is limited or can't go, then the game will be much closer but ZAGS still win by 6-10 points...

Not worried about the LMU game at all. However, the game at Moraga is a different story. We need a healthy Tils, otherwise this could be our first WCC loss. Not trying to jinx the team, I'm just being realistic.

Unless Killian is "full go" Thursday night, hope he sits. Even if he plays, hopefully it will be limited minutes. Either way, beatdown coming.

Regarding SMC, they are pretty much a "one trick pony" this year, live and die by the 3. So...........extend the defense, don't collapse on the pick and roll or high screen stuff they run, make someone other than Ford beat us.

Go ZAGS

62% of SMC FG attempts are 2 pointers (844/1352). They've taken 508 3PA, ranking them 127 out of 351 teams. They've made 42.7% of their 3PFG, which leads the NCAA.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...s-ca/2020.html

FWIW: BYU is #2 in the country for 3PFG %, at 42.4%

I hope that Tillie is good to go and plays just a few minutes to make him comfortable. Then be ready for Saturday. Go ZAGS.

This is a make or break game for the Gaels. They may be looking ahead to the WCC tournament, thinking their only chance to Dance will be by winning the bid in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    This is a make or break game for the Gaels. They may be looking ahead to the WCC tournament, thinking their only chance to Dance will be by winning the bid in Vegas.
    I don't think it's a make or break game for the Gaels nor do I think they are looking ahead to the WCC Tournament, TexasZagFan. I believe Randy Bennett is a great coach and will have his team ready to beat the Zags. I'm not saying that they will, but I am saying he will have them ready to beat us, both mentally and physically. They are better than San Francisco who gave us a pretty tough game Saturday. They have a really good offense, one of the best in the country (9th in overall offense per Kenpom) and #1 in 3 points shooting %. Their weaknesses are in rebounding (one of the worst in all of college basketball) and assists (197th). This tells me they are a team that goes one on one a lot. I've seen them play some and I know Ford is definitely a one on one player.

We agree that Gonzaga is the better team and should win, but I just want to help you to be aware that this game will be one of the toughest games we'll have all year. We've played a few better teams, but they were in non conference. This is a conference game and our biggest rival. The best news is that Gonzaga has been successful there in the past, and this year's team may be the best ever at winning on the Road. It's St Mary's biggest game this year, for the team and the fans and they will be giving it everything they have just like San Francisco did.

St Mary's is a lot like Bringham Young in the sense that they have very good guards and like shooting 3's. Gonzaga defended the 3 very well against BYU and I believe they can do just that again against St Mary's. Like most teams in the WCC, St Mary's will have a difficult time defending our post players.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 02-04-2020 at 07:05 AM.

My take .... how well the Zags play D On Thursday will mean bunches for how well things go in Moraga. D is the key. When ‘awake’ the Zags are a scoring machine. I don’t believe there will be any more snoring after USF. I see a beatdown coming for LMU on Zag O paired w/ improved D. Then the Zags take that show to Moraga. I may be overly optimistic but I feel the powerhouse that is the Zags will lead to foul trouble for both LMU & SMC. Timme & Petrusev are becoming harder to stop. Double teaming either of those two and it’ll be Zags Tacos.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I see a beatdown coming for LMU on Zag O paired w/ improved D.

You may be right Zagger, but I'm thinkin' Thursday night we might see a bit of cruise control, what with SMC on the road coming up Saturday.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    You may be right Zagger, but I'm thinkin' Thursday night we might see a bit of cruise control, what with SMC on the road coming up Saturday.
    I've always felt that playing on "cruise control" is a mistake. I prefer the description of playing all out with the pedal to the metal. Give it everything you got, and then take a rest and let the subs play. I'm also thinking like Zagger. Give 'em a "beat down." hahaha

Go Zags!!!

Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    1h
    Dave Flemming and Sean Farnham are calling Gonzaga-Saint Mary's Saturday on ESPN (yes, main channel ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Steven Karr
    @SKarrG0
    ·
    1h
    Dave Flemming and Sean Farnham are calling Gonzaga-Saint Mary's Saturday on ESPN (yes, main channel ESPN)
    These guys are solid; looking forward to their call of the game. No announcement yet on Thursday's game, but I imagine it will be the same CBSSN crew as last week. CBSSN is only doing one WCC game this time, not two.

EDIT: I just got the update, it will be Rich Waltz and Dan Dickau on the call for the LMU game. This is very cool. Is this Dan's first time doing a game on CBSSN ?
    Last edited by SorenTodd45; 02-05-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: announcers

It's Wednesday, midweek; so I thought I'd check in. This really is one of my favorite weeks during conference play. As I've said several times, I really like Gonzaga's schedule. It's so nice that we get to play at home Thursday against LMU. It'll be a good way to get ready for Saturday's classic war with St Mary's. I've been waiting for this game with St Mary's since Conference play began. It's really one of my favorite games of the year. Of course I really like our game AT BYU. Ford, St Mary's point guard, is one of the best pg's in the conference, and it will really be a classic match-up for Woolridge. I know he'll be ready for it too. Tillie should also be ready for the battle.

Gettin ready for a fun game tomorrow.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    It's Wednesday, midweek; so I thought I'd check in. This really is one of my favorite weeks during conference play. As I've said several times, I really like Gonzaga's schedule. It's so nice that we get to play at home Thursday against LMU. It'll be a good way to get ready for Saturday's classic war with St Mary's. I've been waiting for this game with St Mary's since Conference play began. It's really one of my favorite games of the year. Of course I really like our game AT BYU. Ford, St Mary's point guard, is one of the best pg's in the conference, and it will really be a classic match-up for Woolridge. I know he'll be ready for it too. Tillie should also be ready for the battle.

Gettin ready for a fun game tomorrow.

Go Zags!!!
    I'll be ready for your Game Day thread tomorrow! DVR is set, both games on major networks this week!

]
    EDIT: I just got the update, it will be Rich Waltz and Dan Dickau on the call for the LMU game. This is very cool. Is this Dan's first time doing a game on CBSSN ?
    Not sure if it is his first but he must get a lot of 1099's this time of year.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    62% of SMC FG attempts are 2 pointers (844/1352). They've taken 508 3PA, ranking them 127 out of 351 teams. They've made 42.7% of their 3PFG, which leads the NCAA.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...s-ca/2020.html

FWIW: BYU is #2 in the country for 3PFG %, at 42.4%
    Always some guy throwing out hard evidence refuting what we, the rest of us fans, know in our heart of hearts to be true. Remember, Reno, the immortal words of Lt. Frank Drebin: "Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts." So, just quit it.