Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zags @ USF: Postgame Thoughts, Analysis, Media

Refs were hot garbage...both ways.

BTW, there's a replay on ROOT tonight at 9pm in case anyone missed it.

I'm with FloridaZafFan: 25-32 from the line was the difference. Both teams had 27 field goals and USF had three more threes, though they took a helluva lot more shots from out there, 23 more to be exact!

One more thought: Arlauskas 3 minutes; Petrusev, Woolridge, Kispert, Timme Gildner and Ayayi all 30 or more! What a gut check for the Zags!

Good wake up call and grind it out game. Time and Petrusev were great. Our guards were out played by USF guards. Good win against a tough USF team. Not easy on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Good wake up call and grind it out game. Time and Petrusev were great. Our guards were out played by USF guards. Good win against a tough USF team. Not easy on the road.
    Yes and that’s alarming going forward. There are much better guard corps than USF.

I felt like the gameplan was poor to start the game and beside petru it was horrible. The coaching at half and defense started the comeback. Ajayi and Timme and Kispert were huge in the 2nd half. That fadeaway by kispert was pretty.

On to the next. Go zags.
    Love the zags for life

Way too many calls in this game. Thursday almost seemed like the refs were letting them play, today seemed like the refs wanted to insert themselves into nearly every possession.

I also would like to personally apologize to my neighbors for all of the yelling and occasional swearing that came from my house this afternoon.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

That's the first time I've noticed some of the guards looking that tentative - especially early. Slopping passing and dribbling. Ayayi looked very timid many times in that first half. Second half looked better. The speed of USF did look like it had some impact. Offense really sputtered in that first half (after the fast start). But good to see them get through all that and get the win...

Just read another thread where Section116 said that Hudson and Morrison mentioned in the pre-game show that GU would probably show some zone vs. USF. I didn't see it if they did. I thought the best GU defensive teams (the last few years) had the ability to play some tough zone to change things up. I haven't seen much this year...

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Making 25 out of 32 from the FT line in a small loud place like that is pretty darned impressive for a team that has really struggled and a team we have predicted might lose a game at the FT line. Today would've been a great candidate.\
    After that first stinker of a game at Portland, GU has shot 74.8% from the FT line in conference.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Now that I have had time to de-compress (if you can call it that), my take on the game.

This could not have been a ROOT sports production; they did not have their usual graphics. And Kate Scott, what college did she get her broadcasting degree from? Clown college, more than likely. The fact that she is a female is irrelevant; she was absolutely abysmal. And Dan Belluomini (the analyst) was hardly an improvement. He kept mixing up Drew Timme and Killian Tillie during the whole game (even though Killian was on the bench the entire time with an injured ankle). Dude, go back to the Pac-10 (that's where I remember him from) and take your clown college degree with you.

As to the officiating? Oy vey! I know the home team is going to get some of the breaks, but this was pathetic. Time after time the Zags got hosed with either a phantom call or a call that went against them that should not have. It's as if the refs were on the take the entire game. How we won without our best player and the deck stacked against us, I'll never know. But a win is a win and I will take anything at this point.

Thank God that almost all of the remaining Zags games are on ESPN; even Bill Walton would be an upgrade from those two nincompoops who called today's game.
    Dan Belluomini is former USF coach, not from a Pac-1X school..

What specifics about Kate did you not like?
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

I am with hoopaholic. That hard trap on our pick and roll really gummed is up because the weak side player dame all the way to our normal outlet. Seems like a specific design against a team missing some shooting. Throw Tillie in that lineup and that additional shooter spells trouble for that double team with the weak side guys rotating too far.

zags a little sluggish to start...happens sometimes with these early start times on the road. defense was a step slow...sloppy turnovers all over the place. you could tell kispert was a little out of sorts...foul trouble didn't help.

An unusual defense designed for a specific team in an atypical injury situation.... pretty impressive coaching from a first year crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post

I disagree with the assessment of the broadcast crew. MUCH better (my opinion) than Larry , his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I'm sorry I'm so late here. I had a very full day. I just got home a half hour ago (9 pm). AFTER Gonzaga's game I went to a high school game with my son and daughter in law. It too was a really close game (3 point win for our team) and horrible reffing. I even missed most of the first half of the Zags game. I had to help a friend move and wasn't able to turn on the game until about 5 min before half, Zags were down by five and looked bad on offense and defense. USF eventually got that lead up to 8 points by half time.

But hey, what a 2nd half. I kind of hate to say it, but I loved the game. It was one of my more favorite games this year. It was about time we had a fight, and played a team had it in them to beat us. The only thing I am disappointed about is that I had the Zags by 16, and I should have known better. Honestly, I didn't know San Francisco was this good. They had really good, and quick and fast guards. Woolridge finally met his match. USF's guards were really hard to stop on that pick and roll. They beat us so many times on the switch, and they got easy layups. I thought Petrusev played really bad D, and it hurt us badly. He also hurt us at the foul line, but it was Timme's night. He played the game of his life, and just when we needed it. He scored 19, was 7-8 from the foul line and that was huge for us. He had three blocks which mostly came at the end of the game. Timme was really TOUGH. He played with so much confidence on both ends of the court.

The Zags offense came alive the 2nd half and we scored 48 points in that half against a very tough defense. I was really impressed with USF, and they played a GREAT game in my opinion, and fought with every ounce of energy they had. The last 7 or 8 min were really a war. AND Timme seemed to be the toughest one out there. The Zags finally started hitting some 3's and actually made all four the second half. The team shot well for the game hitting 54% for the game, 83% from behind the arc, and 78% from the free throw line. I thought the Zags really adjusted to the gym and Like I said scored 48 points the second half. It was the defense that was not really very good tonight. USF's guards did dominate us time after time. It was just back and fourth the whole second half, and both teams scoring at will. In the end the Zags won at the free throw line, and that is quite a surprise really. It's been our biggest sore spot this year. Zags made 25 out of 32 and USF made 18-25. So I wouldn't complain too much about the reffing. Like it has been said it was called really close and both teams shot a lot of foul shots. USF missed more than we did. Kispert and Ayayi hit some big shots the 2nd half. I think they both hit 2-2 from behind the arc. From what I heard at half time neither played well at all the first half.

This game was exactly what the Zags needed. They needed a close tough game where they really had to fight and really had to play well and hit big shots. They did all these things, and when they needed to put some stops together at the end of the game, thanks to Timme, they were able to do just that. We have to remember that we played a pretty good team without our most experienced and best player. You can't say that we didn't miss Tills because we did. That's a really tough place to play. We also need to remember that we have lots of new players who have not played there. I think our Road Games will be tough because many of our guys have never played in these gyms. You could see that it took us awhile to adjust. But they did. AND IT WAS SOOOO much fun. I got to watch the game with my grandson Micah, and he and I are really a great combination for cheering. I knew that we could help the team the 2nd half and I believe we did. Good fans are important. AND Gonzaga has about the best fans that there are. There seemed to be a lot there at San Fran. The cheering helped I believe. And I can imagine what it was like in a thousand homes across the USA. So much fun. Keep it going Zags. We're really proud of you. GREAT GAME!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    An unusual defense designed for a specific team in an atypical injury situation.... pretty impressive coaching from a first year crew.

Default Can I be honest? I love this young coach.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Really impressed by that interview. Something tells me he won’t be at USF for long

I miss Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post

I thought Kate did a fine job.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

zags need to figure out what to do with petrusev...they can't have him switching on to guards who can blow right by him. it's bad enough when they do it with tillie and timme...your bigs aren't rui and bc anymore.

Inept reffing ruined the fun of this game for me. I’m just happy with a win and glad that one is behind us. Our lack of depth was magnified in this game and it’s amazing our FT’s saved our bacon.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I thought Kate did a fine job.
    I thought so too. She is a solid play by play announcer. I much prefer her to Beth Mowins.

Kate Scott Resume
    http://katescott.com/kate-scott/
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    they were doubling on all ball passes and especially on the high pick and roll with the weakside defender playing mid level zone with hard rotation to the off side zag rotation creating a weakside one man zone with the off post when we were in double post setting, when not in double post
    combination of hard man with trap with weakside guard only zone rotation to anticipate what we normally use for ball rotation to get the high low look

I call it junk defense because it is not a normally deployed defense nor typical of what we have historically seen....specific design against zags particular offense
    *would not have been effective with tille as he can stretch and shoot unlike petruseve and timme who are not shooters
    I enjoy these mini-lessons. I don’t see the game with that level of sophistication. Thank you for sharing.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Refs were hot garbage...both ways.

BTW, there's a replay on ROOT tonight at 9pm in case anyone missed it.
    I agree. This game felt a little bit like the UNC national championship game in that the officials were calling a lot of touch fouls with no consistency from one call to the next. Both teams suffered through some miserably bad calls.

It’s good for our team to play a few games like this. They need to learn how to grind out a tough win when key players are limited by injuries and foul trouble.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

I wouldn't say our guards were outplayed, I would say our guards didn't play up to normal standards with that high trapping defense.

Default The day after the Game

I really like thinking about the game the day after the game. I like for the game to sink into my mind as I analyze it. What stands out most to me is how well the team played without Tillie. Tillie, in the last month, has really taken over this team and has become kind of a point power forward. The offense, so often, is set up with a pass to him at the high post, which often extends way out to where the point guard plays. Tillie is such a great passer, and is very, very intelligent. He IS the glue guy. Besides all of offensive skill he can really play defense. Oh, I almost forgot, he's probably our best three point shooter. I'm not surprised that we only shot 5 threes.

So all of that is pretty huge, and for the team to pull out that victory was just really amazing and really awesome. I watched the game again later last night and the Zags were behind with 2 minutes to play. It was really that close. I'll tell you one thing, I was really tense. But I kept all negative thoughts in check. That was awesome too. Call it drinking the kool aid if you want to, but the only drink I had to sip on was an orange soda.
    This was the kind of game any good team needs. It needs to have a really tough battle all the way, and to win it at the end on the foul line and with putting together a few good stops.

The other thing I noticed was that Woolridge was out of the game a lot. He didn't really the kind of impact that he usually does. Maybe he was in foul trouble. I noticed that Ayayi was handling the ball at the point most of the game, and at times was a little sloppy with the ball. So we not only missed Tillie but missed Woolridge a lot...and our boys adjusted pretty well. I mean we shot the ball really well, especially for an away game. My confidence has not been broken, but is in fact strengthened by two tough Road Victories. Way to go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!