Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: streaming rant/ “cut the cord” thread

Thanks the vpn is the sauce

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Restricted in my viewing area, probably northern hemisphere.

Mike Roth
    No forwarding address
    Childish. At best. This was a WCC conference game. The WCC owns the broadcast (including streaming) rights, not Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Childish. At best. This was a WCC conference game. The WCC owns the broadcast (including streaming) rights, not Gonzaga.
    Mike Roth is the most powerful AD in the conference. He has the leverage to influence everything the WCC does. The conference commissioner essentially works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Yes but Gonzaga "owns" the WCC. Which is I think Jazz's point.

The reality is that we should be able to stream all games. Not necessarily for feee. But in 2020, all games should be available this way. The days of the cord cutters are here and have been for years. The days when everyone had "cable" or "satellite" are over.

I gave up DirecTV this season and switched to YouTube tv. My bill went down from 180 a month to 50. And I get almost all of the sports channels I used to get.

The one exception is Root sports. It's totally unacceptable that there is no way to steam any context from Root sports. I think Jazz's point is that Mike Roth should leverage Root into doing something on this. I have zero clue if Roth has or has not done any such thing. I also don't know whether Roth drives a Bentley. If he does I won't begrudge him that as he and the GU staff have earned it. I do, however, think that whether he drives a Bentley or not, we should be able to figure this out.

Interesting 229. I am getting ready to cut the cord and Youtube TV is my choice. Have you or anybody else tried this https://www.collegesportslive.com/ ? I'm just now exploring/ investigating options.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Yes but Gonzaga "owns" the WCC. Which is I think Jazz's point.

The reality is that we should be able to stream all games. Not necessarily for feee. But in 2020, all games should be available this way. The days of the cord cutters are here and have been for years. The days when everyone had "cable" or "satellite" are over.

I gave up DirecTV this season and switched to YouTube tv. My bill went down from 180 a month to 50. And I get almost all of the sports channels I used to get.

The one exception is Root sports. It's totally unacceptable that there is no way to steam any context from Root sports. I think Jazz's point is that Mike Roth should leverage Root into doing something on this. I have zero clue if Roth has or has not done any such thing. I also don't know whether Roth drives a Bentley. If he does I won't begrudge him that as he and the GU staff have earned it. I do, however, think that whether he drives a Bentley or not, we should be able to figure this out.
    Thanks for seeing past the occasional sardonic humor to the serious point which, inextricably, seems to elude some here, such as NW. Roth and his minions have done a magnificent job on building the program. And in the past he's seemed responsive to our complaints. Why no solution has been forthcoming is anyone's guess. Perhaps it needs post season review, or the assent of the lesser teams, or the commish is intractable on added costs.....etc. One game left.

I've said this before, but this is not so much about accessibility (we all get that you can watch most GU games if you're motivated enough to find a streaming option that works), as it is about exposure. Easy exposure for passive viewers. Beyond the northwest, coverage has absolutely gone backwards this season. I haven't seen so few games in many seasons and I'm a premium subscriber on a major cable platform living in the 6th largest media market in the country. This is a WCC problem, and I hate to say it, but it isn't getting better. Take a look at the schedule of any random Big East team, and you'll see that just about every game of every team in the conference is televised nationally. It's no secret that there is a concerted effort underway by major conferences to dominate television coverage -- to deprive lesser conferences of coverage, and ultimately render them invisible, irrelevant, and ultimately obsolete. Very noticeable this season. The Big East and Pac 12 have been savvy in expanding their schedules to almost every day of the week, making it harder and harder for second tier conference (e.g. WCC) programs to get exposure. The athletic directors of most of the rest of the WCC schools understand the limitations of their programs, and likely aren't able or motivated to help. They understand there isn't an impending renaissance of their programs and that changing demographics and interests of their students and alumni make it unlikely that they'll ever compete with Gonzaga. Gonzaga aspires to bigger things and they, pragmatically, do not. (How many years have you been hearing that the conference is turning the corner, and getting better across the board?) So, Gonzaga is trapped for now in a conference that is apparently diminishing in stature, disappearing from national coverage, and with few viable options for improving its lot. Hats off to Mark Few for consistently improving his recruiting classes, and attracting excellent transfers but if you ever wonder how this remarkable run might end you might want to consider that a lack of national media exposure might be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    I've said this before, but this is not so much about accessibility (we all get that you can watch most GU games if you're motivated enough to find a streaming option that works), as it is about exposure. Easy exposure for passive viewers. Beyond the northwest, coverage has absolutely gone backwards this season. I haven't seen so few games in many seasons and I'm a premium subscriber on a major cable platform living in the 6th largest media market in the country. This is a WCC problem, and I hate to say it, but it isn't getting better. Take a look at the schedule of any random Big East team, and you'll see that just about every game of every team in the conference is televised nationally. It's no secret that there is a concerted effort underway by major conferences to dominate television coverage -- to deprive lesser conferences of coverage, and ultimately render them invisible, irrelevant, and ultimately obsolete. Very noticeable this season. The Big East and Pac 12 have been savvy in expanding their schedules to almost every day of the week, making it harder and harder for second tier conference (e.g. WCC) programs to get exposure. The athletic directors of most of the rest of the WCC schools understand the limitations of their programs, and likely aren't able or motivated to help. They understand there isn't an impending renaissance of their programs and that changing demographics and interests of their students and alumni make it unlikely that they'll ever compete with Gonzaga. Gonzaga aspires to bigger things and they, pragmatically, do not. (How many years have you been hearing that the conference is turning the corner, and getting better across the board?) So, Gonzaga is trapped for now in a conference that is apparently diminishing in stature, disappearing from national coverage, and with few viable options for improving its lot. Hats off to Mark Few for consistently improving his recruiting classes, and attracting excellent transfers but if you ever wonder how this remarkable run might end you might want to consider that a lack of national media exposure might be the reason.
    Harsh, but major points. I can't imagine the GU admin is unmindful of what you so eloquently detail. But, jumping the shark -- even in the glacial world of higher education -- often has very little warning......Your statement should be the first and only thing on the next athletics board meeting, trustee meeting, alumni board meeting.....

I'm going to take a schellacking for this comment, but perhaps the TV Problem, in my opinion, is enough to consider an independent conference affiliation. If you look at prior seasons, there have been teams that play a non-conference affiliated basketball schedule. Seattle U did for four years. They were able to schedule games from January to March. If they can, why can't Gonzaga?

If Gonzaga negotiated it's own TV deals and shared revenue on games with MWC, Pac 12 and WCC teams, they should be able to fill out a January to March schedule. The revenue sharing with the WCC and an agreement to play away games at schools like Pepp, LMU, SCU periodically may be enough to ensure that the WCC doesn't kick the non-basketball Gonzaga sports out of the conference.

Imagine: Non-conference schedule up to January. Then from January to March: 6 games against the WCC, 4 games against the Pac 12, 4 games against the MWC, 2 games against the AAC, 2 games against other teams (WAC, Big East, SEC, etc.).

Not likely to happen. But certainly something to explore as a potential leverage point if things don't improve.

Always Tom Hudson and Adam Morrison on the radio. Tom does a very good job in painting the picture of what’s happening and Adam sometimes says some of the things we are thinking but not saying. Beyond doubt, Adam has come a very long way as a commentator. If I can’t get the game live, I don’t bother with trying to stream for many of the reasons articulated in this thread. Besides, listening to Tom and Adam brings back memories of listening to the World Series while steelheading/salmon fishing in the fall and other fun times. You ought to try it. And yes, you can listen to them over the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    Always Tom Hudson and Adam Morrison on the radio. Tom does a very good job in painting the picture of what’s happening and Adam sometimes says some of the things we are thinking but not saying. Beyond doubt, Adam has come a very long way as a commentator. If I can’t get the game live, I don’t bother with trying to stream for many of the reasons articulated in this thread. Besides, listening to Tom and Adam brings back memories of listening to the World Series while steelheading/salmon fishing in the fall and other fun times. You ought to try it. And yes, you can listen to them over the Internet.
    That’s an alternative that should be a choice, not a fallback option if there isn’t a reliable television feed.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I'm going to take a schellacking for this comment, but perhaps the TV Problem, in my opinion, is enough to consider an independent conference affiliation. If you look at prior seasons, there have been teams that play a non-conference affiliated basketball schedule. Seattle U did for four years. They were able to schedule games from January to March. If they can, why can't Gonzaga?

If Gonzaga negotiated it's own TV deals and shared revenue on games with MWC, Pac 12 and WCC teams, they should be able to fill out a January to March schedule. The revenue sharing with the WCC and an agreement to play away games at schools like Pepp, LMU, SCU periodically may be enough to ensure that the WCC doesn't kick the non-basketball Gonzaga sports out of the conference.

Imagine: Non-conference schedule up to January. Then from January to March: 6 games against the WCC, 4 games against the Pac 12, 4 games against the MWC, 2 games against the AAC, 2 games against other teams (WAC, Big East, SEC, etc.).

Not likely to happen. But certainly something to explore as a potential leverage point if things don't improve.

I'm going to take a schellacking for this comment, but perhaps the TV Problem, in my opinion, is enough to consider an independent conference affiliation.
    I would rather the Zags not do that, only because I enjoy the rivalries we have with other WCC teams.

The TV problem lies in the ROOT--KHQ situation. For those fans in Washington, you guys have your cake and can eat it too. The games are either on KHQ, ROOT, ESPN, or CBSSN. All of which can be easily viewed by Washingtonians.

However, for us out-of-market fans (and there are a lot of us on this forum), the fun begins when the Zags are not on ESPN or CBSSN. Those of us without Direct or Dish have to resort to streaming, and we all know how unreliable lately that can be. It's one thing for a bottom feeder WCC team (like LMU) to have mostly online games, but a program with the prestige and stature of Gonzaga should be better than that. PeninsulaDog makes an excellent point; the Zags should have just as good a TV contract as any random Big East team, if not better.

I'm not trying to put Heister, Fox, and Dickau out of a job, but if the Zags want to compete with the big boys, they need to do it at the TV level, not just on the basketball court.

In my research I came up with this option for Streaming
    https://www.groundedreason.com/what-is-fubotv/

They list ATTSporsnet SW as one of their channels. I've watched all but the USF game on that channel via DirecTV. $50 a month and a 1 week free trial.
    Birddog

The real problem with your solution is all of the other sports. Where do they compete?
    Would the WCC allow them to stay w/o the cash cow of mens BB? I doubt it. Just out of spite they would say no. Although they would call it something else.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The real problem with your solution is all of the other sports. Where do they compete?
    Would the WCC allow them to stay w/o the cash cow of mens BB? I doubt it. Just out of spite they would say no. Although they would call it something else.
    Yeah... agree. This issue is a dead horse. I'm just thinking if Gonzaga were to leave for an independent conference, perhaps the $$ associated with per-game TV revenue sharing with the existing WCC schools (based on Gonzaga's own TV contracts) would be enough to avoid this inevitable outcome. Probably not. But if the WCC brings in $100 with Gonzaga as a member and would bring in $50 without any Gonzaga revenue, but $65 if Gonzaga shares some of the new TV revenue they create, then maybe..... This is all highly speculative. Your answer is the easiest and likely most correct. But they don't pay me the big bucks on this board to be correct.

Edit: none of this factors in the value to each school that a Gonzaga home game brings......

There are two tiny little words that keep us from ever considering this: auto bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I understand the frustration, but don’t know why we need to espouse the complete overhaul of the AD and the CBB program. We just need more bandwidth for the off network games, whether on the lame WCC stream (and no FB affiliation, please; aligning with FB was a weak attempt by the WCC to paint over their online deficiencies) or a free standing, paywalled, GU app. Pretty simple. Mike, heed your shoe sponsor: Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    There are two tiny little words that keep us from ever considering this: auto bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe tiny in size but enormous in substance.
    Birddog

Those of you looking for cord cutting options need to look at the two leaders in overall reviews. YouTubeTV and Hulu are the front runners and YouTube edges out Hulu on all the reviews I've seen. Both cost around $50 ish a month and both are closest in content to a cable or satellite service. My DirecTV bill is now over $150 per month and no Premium channels (HBO, SHO etc)are included. That will be about $100 found dollars per month if I make the switch. I am now using 3 receivers (2 with DVR) and with YouTube I can record on 2 screens. Hulu offers up to 6 screens. There are a few differences in channel availability that could be deal breakers. For instance Hulu has the History Channel and You Tube does not. Both have local channels, so you can record without an external DVR.

This season, GU will have regular season games broadcast on 4 cable/satellite channels. 1 on SEC, 2 on CBSSports, 13 on Root, and 15 on the ESPN family. It is those 13 on root that are the problem for cord cutters or people not in Root markets. Only Fubo streaming has ATTSportsSW and they do not have any ESPN content, so that is probably a deal breaker.

It would be interesting to know just how many potential subscribers there would be for a reliable streaming service for the Root games. Hopefully GU and the WCC are looking into it. I know I would be willing to pay a couple of bucks a game for ala carte streaming, so there is a possible revenue stream component. The WCC needs to put on their big boy pants and make The WTV a viable option. If not TheWTV then perhaps a GUTV can be set up.

Finally, I have only had to stream online 2 games this season, the last one being the USF game. I went through the WCC portal and was not asked to go through Facebook. The stream worked flawlessly, no pixelation or buffering. I can't figure out why so many of you have to go through Facebook. BTW I am far from computer savvy.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Maybe tiny in size but enormous in substance.
    Let's dress it up a bit:

~~~***AUTO BID***~~~
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Those of you looking for cord cutting options need to look at the two leaders in overall reviews. YouTubeTV and Hulu are the front runners and YouTube edges out Hulu on all the reviews I've seen.
    Thanks Birddog, this comes at a perfect time as I am looking to drop Comcast Cable like a bad habit. Maybe someone is already doing this, but I've wondered why there isn't an app that let's you enter the channels you MUST have, those you'd LIKE to have, and those you ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO PAY FOR. Then enter the amount you are willing to pay each month. Also if you are looking for an internet provider and your specific parameters for that service. Press "GO" and you have the 1 or 2 best solutions and how to implement it. For those that need it, have link to a trained consultant who can take care of the technical aspects of setting it up. This could be a goldmine business (at least for a while!). The potential reach is enormous.
    (As I look around this room, I see nothing but UNTAPPED POTENTIAL!)
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Thanks Birddog, this comes at a perfect time as I am looking to drop Comcast Cable like a bad habit. Maybe someone is already doing this, but I've wondered why there isn't an app that let's you enter the channels you MUST have, those you'd LIKE to have, and those you ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO PAY FOR. Then enter the amount you are willing to pay each month. Also if you are looking for an internet provider and your specific parameters for that service. Press "GO" and you have the 1 or 2 best solutions and how to implement it. For those that need it, have link to a trained consultant who can take care of the technical aspects of setting it up. This could be a goldmine business (at least for a while!). The potential reach is enormous.
    (As I look around this room, I see nothing but UNTAPPED POTENTIAL!)
    YOUR WISH, IS MY COMMAND. https://thestreamable.com/matchmaker...ttle-tacoma-wa

Send cashier's check for $4,995 and prepaid Amazon gift cards totaling $720.00 to:

CB4
    Mom's Basement
    Cheney, WA
    USA

Thanks Birddog,

I am a HUGE fan of YouTubeTV. I decided not to renew my VZ Tripleplay last summer (TV,Internet,phone) and just have the VZ Gigabit Internet. Now, I use an Amazon FireTV Cube and downloaded the YoutubeTV app ($49/mo). Stream over 70+ channels. Saved over $120/mo over my VZ bill. Here in Worcester, MA, I have not missed a Zags game this season, using https://watchstadium.com/network/wcc-network/, streamed via the Firefox browser app from FireTV. I am sure Firefox browser is available on all streaming devices and smart TVs. Give it a try.

Believe it or not some people are not members of Facebook,
    don't want to be,
    and never will be.
    like me