Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: streaming rant/ “cut the cord” thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Believe it or not some people are not members of Facebook,
    don't want to be,
    and never will be.
    like me
    I refuse to ever be part of Facebook and I am offended that the wcc stream somehow directs me to a Facebook page to stream games. Why does it make me do Facebook but not birddog? Facebook is an abomination and I won't ever be part of it.

I am a happy YouTube tv subscriber. Way better than DirecTv for a host of reasons. Just need a way to stream Root and I'm good. It can't be that hard--can it?

For those interested... https://www.mybundle.tv/

I have not yet cut the cord...but I will be soon. This link above allows you to select the channels you want and then provides a list of services you may use to fulfill the list. Numerous options are listed as well as price.

Quote Originally Posted by Masszag View Post
    Thanks Birddog,

I am a HUGE fan of YouTubeTV. I decided not to renew my VZ Tripleplay last summer (TV,Internet,phone) and just have the VZ Gigabit Internet. Now, I use an Amazon FireTV Cube and downloaded the YoutubeTV app ($49/mo). Stream over 70+ channels. Saved over $120/mo over my VZ bill. Here in Worcester, MA, I have not missed a Zags game this season, using https://watchstadium.com/network/wcc-network/, streamed via the Firefox browser app from FireTV. I am sure Firefox browser is available on all streaming devices and smart TVs. Give it a try.
    I accept part of the blame by being cheap, cutting the satellite tv cord to save money, which as a recently retired senior is more of a necessity than thrift move. What I question is why I am frequently geo-blocked despite being 500 miles east of Spokane. Wondering what defines regional? Hulu tv is a $45 a month option for ESPN televised games but have found the Hudson/Ammo radio coverage especially enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I refuse to ever be part of Facebook and I am offended that the wcc stream somehow directs me to a Facebook page to stream games. Why does it make me do Facebook but not birddog? Facebook is an abomination and I won't ever be part of it.

I am a happy YouTube tv subscriber. Way better than DirecTv for a host of reasons. Just need a way to stream Root and I'm good. It can't be that hard--can it?
    First, I am going to step in the muck and defend the AD. I think Mr. Roth has been very responsive to streaming issues that he can directly control. I suspect if you email him and complain about the games being on Facebook he would probably take that issue on. I complained to him many times about streaming issues earlier and he responded every time. I too hate it when the games are streamed on Facebook but I do have a Facebook account so I have not complained about that. If you are having any problems streaming a game using the link provided, I believe you are being blocked because of your location and contractual issues with ROOT or whatever other service is broadcasting the game. The AD can’t control this now.

I use YouTube TV and it doesn’t carry ROOT. The link to the game on the conference website will get you to the game and (other than the Facebook games) the streaming has been great for quite a while now and I thank Mr. Roth for getting those issues resolved. If the link to the game isn’t working for you, I would be almost certain it is because you are geo blocked (blocked because of your location). The only way I have found around that was to download a VPN app and use the app to reflect a different location than the location I am actually at (Montreal has been my go to location). I use an app called “Cyber Ghost” that I downloaded and installed. I pay a month by month subscription for the app and will not Re subscribe until next season. Mr. Roth’s assistant recommended the app to me as a way to solve my issue and it did. Even with the relatively low subscription fee for the VPN app and the monthly cost for YouTube TV, I am saving significantly over the cost of Dish and before that Direct TV. Again, I hate the Facebook games, but with my VPN app on, the stream worked and that is not going to cause me to complain again.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    First, I am going to step in the muck and defend the AD. I think Mr. Roth has been very responsive to streaming issues that he can directly control. I suspect if you email him and complain about the games being on Facebook he would probably take that issue on. I complained to him many times about streaming issues earlier and he responded every time. I too hate it when the games are streamed on Facebook but I do have a Facebook account so I have not complained about that. If you are having any problems streaming a game using the link provided, I believe you are being blocked because of your location and contractual issues with ROOT or whatever other service is broadcasting the game. The AD can’t control this now.

I use YouTube TV and it doesn’t carry ROOT. The link to the game on the conference website will get you to the game and (other than the Facebook games) the streaming has been great for quite a while now and I thank Mr. Roth for getting those issues resolved. If the link to the game isn’t working for you, I would be almost certain it is because you are geo blocked (blocked because of your location). The only way I have found around that was to download a VPN app and use the app to reflect a different location than the location I am actually at (Montreal has been my go to location). I use an app called “Cyber Ghost” that I downloaded and installed. I pay a month by month subscription for the app and will not Re subscribe until next season. Mr. Roth’s assistant recommended the app to me as a way to solve my issue and it did. Even with the relatively low subscription fee for the VPN app and the monthly cost for YouTube TV, I am saving significantly over the cost of Dish and before that Direct TV. Again, I hate the Facebook games, but with my VPN app on, the stream worked and that is not going to cause me to complain again.
    There was a time. Not long ago. When it was more important to focus on "cable" and "satellite" eyeballs for exposure.

That time, whenever it started, has ended.

Within a few years traditional cable and satellite providers will go the way of the buffalo.

I think the administration, whether it includes Mike Roth in a Bentley or not, needs to do what Gonzaga has always done: Get out in front. Be a leader. Set the tone. Blaze a trail where none has been before.

Gonzaga basketball can be akin to Dallas Cowboys football in the 1970s Akin to the New York Yankees since forever. Be a leader. Step out of the comfort zone. Take an aggressive stance, for example, with ESPN. Get after it. Make a move. Be unconventional. Be disruptive.

Recognize, by God, that you are a bear. And then realize the significance of this Pacific Northwest aphorism: if you are going to be a bear: be a Grizzly.

There is no reason BYU should have a network and we should not. None. Note one reason . For example, and just to get the discussion started.

There was a time. Not long ago. When it was more important to focus on "cable" and "satellite" eyeballs for exposure.

Within a few years traditional cable and satellite providers will go the way of the buffalo.

I think the administration, whether it includes Mike Roth in a Bentley or not, needs to do what Gonzaga has always done: Get out in front. Be a leader. Set the tone. Blaze a trail where none has been before.

Gonzaga basketball can be akin to Dallas Cowboys football in the 1970s Akin to the New York Yankees since forever. Be a leader. Step out of the comfort zone. Take an aggressive stance, for example, with ESPN. Get after it. Make a move. Be unconventional. Be disruptive.

Recognize, by God, that you are a bear. And then realize the significance of this Pacific Northwest aphorism: if you are going to be a bear: be a Grizzly.

There is no reason BYU should have a network and we should not. None. Note one reason . For example, and just to get the discussion started.
    There IS a reason that BYU has a network and the Zags don't.

BYU had a network when the WCC let them in.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

You are on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice4Vision View Post
    For those interested... https://www.mybundle.tv/

I have not yet cut the cord...but I will be soon. This link above allows you to select the channels you want and then provides a list of services you may use to fulfill the list. Numerous options are listed as well as price.
    Excellent...looking thru this right now! THX
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    You are on the money.
    Agreed, Sinto is on the money. Why not see if we can get ESPN and CBS engaged in a bidding war? I understand Spokane isn't a large market, but the Zags have great visibility in Texas. It's too bad our PR folks haven't made a more concerted effort to "educate" hoops fans that 3 North Texans are contributing mightily to the #2 team in the country.

We are certainly one of the most entertaining teams in the country, have been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Agreed, Sinto is on the money. Why not see if we can get ESPN and CBS engaged in a bidding war? I understand Spokane isn't a large market, but the Zags have great visibility in Texas. It's too bad our PR folks haven't made a more concerted effort to "educate" hoops fans that 3 North Texans are contributing mightily to the #2 team in the country.

We are certainly one of the most entertaining teams in the country, have been for years.
    The cool thing about Gonzaga is no one knows where the hell it is. The "America's Team" is very real and untapped potential. Is it in California? Texas? New England? East Coast? Who cares, people know Gonzaga and know it's quality and first class and among the best and classiest college bball programs. Get them on TV, promote the hell out of it, and I agree bidding war is in the future. GU admin needs to put on big boy pants and take risks, will exceed all expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    The cool thing about Gonzaga is no one knows where the hell it is. The "America's Team" is very real and untapped potential. Is it in California? Texas? New England? East Coast? Who cares, people know Gonzaga and know it's quality and first class and among the best and classiest college bball programs. Get them on TV, promote the hell out of it, and I agree bidding war is in the future. GU admin needs to put on big boy pants and take risks, will exceed all expectations.
    True story: I wore my DFW alumni shirt to the game in Nashville 3 years ago. It has a Go Zags within the skyline for Dallas. I was actually approached by someone who said, "I didn't know Gonzaga was in Texas."

With all the high dudgeon expressed about Gonzaga's broadcast platforms I feel it is important to point out that all these ideas including attempts to involve the school in bidding wars need to be directed to IMG College as I believe they have the exclusive deal to handle Gonzaga's multimedia rights outside of any Conference obligations. The original 10 year deal was signed in '08 bit I'm pretty sure it was renewed.
    https://www.khq.com/news/gonzaga-uni...1cb0598c5.html

Carry on with the rants.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Re the upcoming USD game
    Those of you that watch the Zags on ATTSportsNetSW (674 DirecTV) be warned that the telecast appears to be delayed until 1:00 AM 2/28/20. I will be forced to stream the game.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    With all the high dudgeon expressed about Gonzaga's broadcast platforms I feel it is important to point out that all these ideas including attempts to involve the school in bidding wars need to be directed to IMG College as I believe they have the exclusive deal to handle Gonzaga's multimedia rights outside of any Conference obligations. The original 10 year deal was signed in '08 bit I'm pretty sure it was renewed.
    https://www.khq.com/news/gonzaga-uni...1cb0598c5.html

Carry on with the rants.
    So the Zags signed their life away to IMG? No recourse for the client? Ridiculous notion. Fire them.

Re the upcoming USD game
    Those of you that watch the Zags on ATTSportsNetSW (674 DirecTV) be warned that the telecast appears to be delayed until 1:00 AM 2/28/20. I will be forced to stream the game.
    Glorified scrimmage anyway. Maybe next year.

I'm currently a DIRECTV customer and haven't done any investigation of "cord cutting." Passing along this brief article from FastCompany regarding a decision made by You Tube TV to drop Fox Sports regional channels:

LINK: https://www.fastcompany.com/90469248...tm_content=rss

The backstory here is that these channels are no longer owned by Fox, despite the name. When Disney acquired 21st Century Fox, it agreed to divest Fox’s regional sports networks and sold them to Sinclair Broadcast Group for $9.6 billion. Sinclair may be looking for much higher carriage fees from TV providers to recoup its investment, but that plan could be backfiring as streaming providers balk and traditional TV continues to decline at historic rates.
    On the DIRECTV front, they are discontinuing the Audience Network which means if I want to continue to follow the Dan Patrick TV version of his morning radio show, I'll need to use You Tube TV to see it.

Well I'm pissed, I attempted to set up my stream with theWTV early and got the Geoblock advisory. I got this even though the game broadcast is delayed until 1:00AM CST in my region, grrrrrrrr.
    Birddog

Anybody have a fishing hole set up for USD vs GON?
    Birddog

I want to be a "cord-cutter", but the loss of certain cable channels is just not acceptable to me. Be that as it may, the fact that ROOT does not do legal streaming (well, according to my info, that is), is somewhat intriguing. I could care less about the Mariners, but as an aside, I do get their games on MLB.tv, a service that I pay for. I wish that every Zags game was on ESPN (or the brethren channels), but I guess it's just not meant to be. After tonight though, there are no worries.

Well I'm pissed, I attempted to set up my stream with theWTV early and got the Geoblock advisory. I got this even though the game broadcast is delayed until 1:00AM CST in my region, grrrrrrrr.
    Just watch it from Yorup.

I'd like to report that I have had ZERO issues with streaming tonight. The WCC feed is the Stadium feed, and I ported the feed from my laptop to my ROKU television, and I have full HD picture quality. I am praying that November and December of 2020 will go as smoothly.

By far the best streaming experience I've had this year. Hopefully, this was not a fluke.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

The stadium stream was flawless for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    The stadium stream was flawless for me as well.
    Good news on that front. Now to just get them not to geoblock for a 5 hr delayed broadcast that started at 1:00 AM CST!!!!
    Birddog