ZN, we need a Scholarship Chart update (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

ZN, we need a Scholarship Chart update (again)

Congratulations to Portland native (and Zag sharpshooter) Matthew Lang. Coach Few has put him on full Scholarship.

Lang joins Gonzaga stalwarts Mike Hart, David Stockton, Jeremy Jones, Kyle Bankhead, Mark Spink, Mike Nilson and host of others who have gone from walk on to scholarship Zags.

Attaboy Matt !!!

Very proud of you.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
    Congratulations to Portland native (and Zag sharpshooter) Matthew Lang. Coach Few has put him on full Scholarship.

Lang joins Gonzaga stalwarts Mike Hart, David Stockton, Jeremy Jones, Kyle Bankhead, Mark Spink, Mike Nilson and host of others who have gone from walk on to scholarship Zags.

Attaboy Matt.
    That’d be a heck of a team.

Comment

• sittingon50
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Congrats Matthew!
      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Radbooks
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2007

Wonderful for Matthew!!
        “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• caduceus
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

👍👍

Comment

• ZagNative
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Got it! http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...47#post1501047

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
              ZagNative for threeeeeee !!! Nothing but twine. Just like Matthew Lang from deep with free tacos on the line.
              sigpic
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• spike_jr
                Banned
                • Nov 2009

Any idea if it is just for the remainder of this year or will it be next year as well?

And thank you ZN for your prompt reply!

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post
                  Any idea if it is just for the remainder of this year or will it be next year as well?

That is never announced but in the Monson/Few era every walk on getting a full ride has kept his scholarship for the duration of his schooling. And based on the respect/value Few, Lloyd and the rest of staff have for Lang my “educated” guess is there won’t be any changes in that philosophy.
                  sigpic
                  ——-

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post

I believe ZN's charts always show scholarship players blocked out by year's of eligibility left; I don't think it's an indication of how long the scholarship will be held, just how long it could be held.

If you earn your schollie as a walk-on, your much more likely to have it the next semester/year but I don't think there are any guarantees. Probably only Lang and the coaches know the details but the info could be out there.

Congrats to Lang as his proud Papa.
                    The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• zag67
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Congrats to Lang. And yes that would be a heck of a hustle team. Great game they played today.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • May 2019

Awesome for Matthew! THAT IS WHAT COLLEGE ATLETICS SHOULD BE ABOUT!
                        I was more than fortunate myself to have a atlhletic scolarship. I played a sport that lost money at the end of the year but I still had the benefits of the sports that made a profit
                        If I had to pay back the value of my scolarship 30 years ago it was about 75,000.
                        Some of my friends had student loans, I didn't !
                        I was way ahead of the game with no debt!
                        Today all people focus on is that coaches and university are making all the money!
                        Correct me if I'm wrong but dont students pay tuition to keep the university going?
                        Last time I checked (full) scolarship pay nothing. I would say the value is at least 120,000 and maybe
                        up to 300,000.
                        Should we pay scolarship athletes, no way! But it's going to happen!
                        The last thing a 18 or 19 year old needs is to be directed to a school so he can make more money and help his family! Who needs that pressure at that age! More kids will drop out than will graduate!
                        Coaches make good money sure!
                        Show me a Div 1,2 or 3 coach that hasn't slept in the back seat of a car or a friends floor for an extended period of time. They are professionals, if they do a poor job they get fired!
                        Paying for a education should have tremendous value, how many kids make a sustainable living at the sport they played in college? 1%?
                        Giving Matthew a scolarship is not only well deserved on his part but a tremendous investment for the university.
                        Well done Matthew!
                        Unfortunately today to many athletes think a scolarship is normal and that is what is supposed to happen!
                        If scolarship athletes are are allowed to make more than 10,000 a year we are going to have a serious problem! Kids will be put in a situation that most will not be prepared for! College athletes are not pros, dont treat them like they are. They are kids and not ready for that responsibility!!!
                        I wish there were more stories like Matthew's in the NCAA! An Athletic scolarship is worth its weight in gold plus plus plus!!!!!

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Clarification

Originally Posted by spike_jr

That is never announced but in the Monson/Few era every walk on getting a full ride has kept his scholarship for the duration of his schooling. And based on the respect/value Few, Lloyd and the rest of staff have for Lang my “educated” guess is there won’t be any changes in that philosophy.
                          As is the case with all basketball scholarships ... this one is on a "year by year" basis ... and because it's been given to a walk-on it isn't a guarantee beyond this year. That being said ... that's how it's worked for every Zag who has gone from walk-on to scholarship. So there's a chance it won't be for the remainder of Matthew's career .... but there's a strong chance that it will (like it was for the other guys in the same situation).

As for scholarships being "year by year" ... this takes me back to when I (and many others) felt things had changed with our beloved program. Jimmy Tricco was a recruited, scholarship player who was a Senior in high school at the beginning of Gonzaga's "cute little run". Jimmy was on the 2nd and 3rd of the "back to back to back" Sweet 16 (or beyond) seasons '99-01 .... and after his sophomore year, was told he'd no longer be on a basketball scholarship at Gonzaga. His ride was needed for a J.C. transfer. Few helped Jimmy transfer to Duquesne .... but man .... was that situation a "wake-up" call for folks who followed the program (and liked Tricco ...who was a GREAT kid and a great teammate). https://gozags.com/news/2001/8/6/Jim..._Duquesne.aspx

So ... the reality is with the way the Zags are currently recruiting ... and the "unknowns" vis a vis guys leaving for the NBA or overseas professional basketball .... there isn't a guarantee that Matthew will stay on scholarship the remainder of his career.

But I like his chances.
                          sigpic
                          ——-

Comment

• exclusivelee
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2013

Mike Hart was not on scholarship for the 2011-2012 season, but he was on scholarship for the 2nd semester of the 2010-2011 season and the whole 2012-2013 season

Comment

• GoZags
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by exclusivelee View Post
                              Mike Hart was not on scholarship for the 2011-2012 season, but he was on scholarship for the 2nd semester of the 2010-2011 season and the whole 2012-2013 season
                              Appreciate your post ... and I guess that helps answer Spike Jr's question.
                              sigpic
                              ——-

Comment

Working...
                              X