Thread: Gilder needs more PT

Default Gilder needs more PT

Gilder is a complete player. Needs more minutes

I am not certain why he doesn’t play more. There’s a mini logjam at 1,2,3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gilder is a complete player. Needs more minutes
    Not saying you are wrong but at whose expense?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaZag View Post
    Kispert. Plays too much. Tires then makes mistakes. More effective about 30m a game

Maybe more Kispert at the 4.

Woolridge/Gilder/Ayayi/CK + big

Gonna be at tillie's expense. Corey more at the 4

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Gonna be at tillie's expense. Corey more at the 4
    After tonight it very well may happen out of necessity.

3 guards including the wing with 2 bigs. Always depends on who we're playing. I do like Gilder, Corey, Woolridge and Joel.or that mix. Good thing we've got Few to figure our way through this. So sad for Tillie. He's just too fragile...…..rolled ankle tonight. Love the kid but man he needs to be more durable if he's thinking next level. Filip and Timme are a very good due when Tillie can't go.

I also wonder what Kenpom rated our defense tonight.

The KenPom defensive rating is relative to the field so even after that lousy defensive performance tonight, our number dropped from 40 something to 38. I've been saying we would get to a mid 20's rating by the end of conference play but we're running out of games. Add your offensive efficiency rating to your defensive efficiency rating and if that total isn't less than 20 your odds of winning the NC are very very slim. This seems to be a freak year, so many teams are in play, including GU, but the odds are long at this point, in spite of our high efficiency margin.

Zags are now the #2 offense, behind Dayton.

Gilded does look to be getting stronger, more confident. I feel very comfortable when he has the ball. Rarely makes a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    The KenPom defensive rating is relative to the field so even after that lousy defensive performance tonight, our number dropped from 40 something to 38. I've been saying we would get to a mid 20's rating by the end of conference play but we're running out of games. Add your offensive efficiency rating to your defensive efficiency rating and if that total isn't less than 20 your odds of winning the NC are very very slim. This seems to be a freak year, so many teams are in play, including GU, but the odds are long at this point, in spite of our high efficiency margin.
    I'm all about kenpom, but it has its limitations. This is the most unique team we've ever had with turnover and injuries creating a situation where we started off really slow. Kenpom doesn't account for that. As long as we get/stay healthy we will be a better defensive team than kenpom can reflect.

with Tillie down not much of a stretch call here re. Admon's minutes

but re. the 3 guard sets, KT made a lot of that click on both ends of the floor imo even tho not one of the guards, another testy adjustment tomorrow to this year's delicate equation unless KT can go, and then at what speed

everyone will get more minutes seems to me, all will need to step up

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I always used 40 as the key number when combining the offensive and defensive rankings. Typically both need to be in the 20's to win the title but that has changed a bit the last couple of years. I think any team that is a total of 40 or better combined has a real shot to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    with Tillie down not much of a stretch call here re. Admon's minutes

but re. the 3 guard sets, KT made a lot of that click on both ends of the floor imo even tho not one of the guards, another testy adjustment tomorrow to this year's delicate equation unless KT can go, and then at what speed

everyone will get more minutes seems to me, all will need to step up
    Correct. Tillie is valuable in a lot of ways, not the least of which is spacing the floor. Limits what teams can do about stopping drives in the paint.

Another thing that makes the three guard set work is the ability of the guards to rebound on the defensive end. The defense wasn't very good last night but the guards were very good cleaning up the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Correct. Tillie is valuable in a lot of ways, not the least of which is spacing the floor. Limits what teams can do about stopping drives in the paint.

Another thing that makes the three guard set work is the ability of the guards to rebound on the defensive end. The defense wasn't very good last night but the guards were very good cleaning up the boards.
    Tillie's ability to spread the floor and his passing acumen are a lot to lose on the offensive end. He is a great rebounder and capable of guarding pretty much any player, anywhere on the floor. Again, what he brings is near impossible to replace.

To your second point, the rebounding was good but our defense looked very mediocre and you can't rebound a made shot. SCU missed a lot of open 3s as well as quite a few at dang near point blank. We were very fortunate to be ahead at the half.

It does give me comfort that our offense didn't really play all that well save Petro and we still hung 87 points on SCU.

My biggest concern with three guards on the floor we have only walk-ons as backups.....

And they don't play at the Stockton/Hart level.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Maybe more Kispert at the 4.

Woolridge/Gilder/Ayayi/CK + big
    No, No, 1000 times NO.....................unless Killian is out for an extended period. And not even then for over 10-15 minutes a game.

Go ZAGS