Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caldwellzag/or others...Any reports on Ballo's progress as a practice only player?

Default Caldwellzag/or others...Any reports on Ballo's progress as a practice only player?

Since he's not eligible until next year I view him similar to a 2020 recruit. Any feedback appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by GLJake View Post
    Since he's not eligible until next year I view him similar to a 2020 recruit. Any feedback appreciated.
    From what I have heard is he is practicing and learning a lot. I would consider him more of a 2020 recruit at this time.

How does his game compare to the other freshman bigs? What is his style of play like?

I think that this "redshirt" season for Ballo could end up being huge for him in the big picture. He gets to learn on one of the best teams in college basketball, work with the training staff/player development that has shown so good for so many, and can hit the ground running next season. I still think Ballo is likely a three year player at Gonzaga, but that would include this season when he hasn't been playing. Can't wait to watch him in the coming years as he develops as a player

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    How does his game compare to the other freshman bigs? What is his style of play like?
    He is more of a bruiser inside than what we have right now. He is a beast and will be a major asset moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    He is more of a bruiser inside than what we have right now. He is a beast and will be a major asset moving forward.
    the first thought that popped in my mind for a comp would be a slightly svelter version of azubuike over at kansas...

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    the first thought that popped in my mind for a comp would be a slightly svelter version of azubuike over at kansas...
    Does he shoot FTs north of 40%?

In the last Kansas game, they announces that Azubuike had finally risen his % to 40.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Does he shoot FTs north of 40%?

In the last Kansas game, they announces that Azubuike had finally risen his % to 40.
    Small sample size but he shot 71% on 31 free throws at the FIBA U-19 World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Thank you ontzags! That’s good enough for me.

that would be better than his fellow incoming mates timme watty arlauskas zakharov (super small sample size for latter two)...petrusev too.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    that would be better than his fellow incoming mates timme watty arlauskas zakharov (super small sample size for latter two)...petrusev too.
    The FIBA ball is smaller though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    The FIBA ball is smaller though.
    FIBA ball is actually bigger.

https://www.stack.com/a/basketball-sizes

Ball dimensions

https://www.sportsrec.com/4271855/ba...al-size-weight

The NBA and WNBA

NBA basketballs, according to USA Basketball, are 29.5 inches in circumference while the WNBA's basketballs have a maximum circumference of 29 inches. Both should be inflated to between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds per square inch.

The NCAA

NCAA men's basketballs have a maximum circumference of 30 inches, and the seams must be no wider than 1/4 inch, with a weight of approximately 22 ounces. NCAA women's basketballs are a maximum of 29 inches in circumference, with a maximum weight of 20 ounces and seams no wider than 1/4 inch.

FIBA

International basketballs for men's play have a circumference of 78 centimeters -- 30.7 inches -- and are referred to as size 7

hmmm . . . It definitely felt smaller when I played with it. And shooting seemed easier.

Are we still talking about basketballs?

Nice . . .

Does he play above the rim more than our current bigs? Filip’s soft layups around the rim concern me looking ahead to March/April. I wish he’d throw down a few more dunks down low. I thought the same thing about Karno and unfortunately my worries were warranted in the title game.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Does he play above the rim more than our current bigs? Filip’s soft layups around the rim concern me looking ahead to March/April. I wish he’d throw down a few more dunks down low. I thought the same thing about Karno and unfortunately my worries were warranted in the title game.
    Ouch.

Does he play above the rim more than our current bigs?
    yes. I know this just from FIBA highlights.

Filip’s soft layups around the rim concern me looking ahead to March/April. I wish he’d throw down a few more dunks down low. I thought the same thing about Karno and unfortunately my worries were warranted in the title game.

Of current bigs, Tillie is by far the most "above the rim" and even when gimpy seems to get up much higher than Petrusev who is an inch taller. But Tillie's often in the perimeter ofrhigh post spot, not close to the rim at all.

Just based on watching the three (Ballo/Timme/P) Ballo has a much higher vertical (and uses it!) than Timme or Petrusev.

It's easier to dunk if you have the athletic ability to actually do it. Filip doesn't seem to have the hops and Karno definitely didnt have the athletic ability to dunk all the time.

Sacre is always me example of terrible the first couple of years until he learned to just dunk everything.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Sacre is always me example of terrible the first couple of years until he learned to just dunk everything.
    Exactly right Hooter. Great example. I feel like Filip has it in him, just needs to unleash the fury!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

I've seen five of his games plus the highlights, so not a ton but as much as I could find available on TV or the internet.

I honestly can't tell you if he can jump higher than Petro but there is a difference in his game. Domas dunked everything and I doubt he can jump higher than Petro (maybe, but I don't know), and that's the way I'd describe Ballo at age 16 and 17. Not necessarily blown away by his leaping ability like Brandon Clarke, but he is fierce and aggressive around the hoop getting his hands on balls out of his area and using his strength and determination to be in the right spot to dunk. I think he is a really good athlete, I'm not contradicting that (especially for his age), but it was more of a mindset or attitude difference in the games I watched. I'm as excited to see him in a GU uniform as any player we've ever brought in. NWG level of excitement for me.

And if anyone has reports out of practice, how he is doing against Petro, etc... I'd love to hear about it too. In the FIBA games last summer the coaches didn't play him much (or at all) in the first game or two, but after they actually put him in and watched saw what he could do, they kept him out there. I've always wondered if he was banged up or if the coaches were worried about whether he had a good grasp on their system or why he sat so much initially.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    In the FIBA games last summer the coaches didn't play him much (or at all) in the first game or two, but after they actually put him in and watched saw what he could do, they kept him out there. I've always wondered if he was banged up or if the coaches were worried about whether he had a good grasp on their system or why he sat so much initially.
    He had visa complications and wasn't with the team for the first 2 games. He was always expected to start and be a focal point of their team.

He had visa complications and wasn't with the team for the first 2 games. He was always expected to start and be a focal point of their team.
    Thanks, that clears up why I didn't see him in those games.