Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: BPI article with WCC reference

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,431

    Default BPI article with WCC reference

    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,280

    Default

    Encouraging.

    The game at BYU will be difficult.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Isn't the BPI basically dead? It also doesn't mention BYU lost to USF with Childs on the floor, or that we beat them by 23 without Watson, and went on a run after Petrusev went down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Encouraging.

    The game at BYU will be difficult.
    BYU currently sits at 20 on KenPom. I imagine they would be even higher if Childs had played in more than 9 of the 22 games so far. The game at GU was within about 10 points with 10 minutes to go without Childs and with BYU having an off night from 3. I predict a very tough game in Provo. Depending on match-ups i think BYU will be dangerous in the NCAA and I wouldnt be surprised to see them in the sweet 16.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Isn't the BPI basically dead? It also doesn't mention BYU lost to USF with Childs on the floor, or that we beat them by 23 without Watson, and went on a run after Petrusev went down.
    RPI is dead. If Childs hadn't had that ridiculous suspension I dont think San Diego St would be undefeated. USF was one of the 1 point losses they mentioned. Another was Boise St in overtime, have to think with Childs they win that. Both are top 100 teams on the road, so not bad losses.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    RPI is dead. If Childs hadn't had that ridiculous suspension I dont think San Diego St would be undefeated. USF was one of the 1 point losses they mentioned. Another was Boise St in overtime, have to think with Childs they win that. Both are top 100 teams on the road, so not bad losses.
    All losses are "bad" by definition. Lot's of wouldacouldashouldas with Childs being out but my point is I haven't seen a strikingly better team with him in, USF was a case-in-point. And it was really a 4 point loss with a buzzer 3 the defender ran from to avoid fouling, and an 8.5 point loss against the spread. They also collapsed to Utah. You'd think that after dropping 30, you could weather your star player getting hurt mid-second half.

    Broadly and sadly speaking, the WCC is still the WCC. Not seeing much to be impressed with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    All losses are "bad" by definition. Lot's of wouldacouldashouldas with Childs being out but my point is I haven't seen a strikingly better team with him in, USF was a case-in-point. And it was really a 4 point loss with a buzzer 3 the defender ran from to avoid fouling, and an 8.5 point loss against the spread. They also collapsed to Utah. You'd think that after dropping 30, you could weather your star player getting hurt mid-second half.

    Broadly and sadly speaking, the WCC is still the WCC. Not seeing much to be impressed with.
    The "EYE TEST" is relevant...can compare losing Watson to not have Childs on the court! Watson is a sub and Childs is a BEAST...I don't think we survive against BYU in Provo especially if the just shoot their average from the 3pt line...not saying we can't win but it will be a monumental task to say the least...

    BYU isn't a ranked team so losing at USF can be understandable just because playing on the road in any conference is going to be tough...We won't lose a home game this season, because we are just GREAT at home...I doubt BYU loses any conference home games this season...when SMC travels to Provo they will find out just how much better BYU is WITH Childs...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,327

    Default

    If our Zags can't beat BYU at their house -- we do not deserve a #2 ranking and a one seed-- too many of our good wins have stumbled/had injuries and issues winning games they should be winning (a loss at BYU will have an impact on both ranking and seed)-- up to the guys on the court to keep the momentum going and prove they deserve the ranking and the upcoming seeding in the dance-- pundits would love to drop us down the ranking and into a lower seed if we stumble.

    Just win baby.......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    The "EYE TEST" is relevant...can compare losing Watson to not have Childs on the court! Watson is a sub and Childs is a BEAST...I don't think we survive against BYU in Provo especially if the just shoot their average from the 3pt line...not saying we can't win but it will be a monumental task to say the least...

    BYU isn't a ranked team so losing at USF can be understandable just because playing on the road in any conference is going to be tough...We won't lose a home game this season, because we are just GREAT at home...I doubt BYU loses any conference home games this season...when SMC travels to Provo they will find out just how much better BYU is WITH Childs...
    Childs is a star *for BYU. Don't forget why he's back. He declared, didn't get interest, declared again in the same year to make sure it was noticed, and still didn't get interest, then he announced he was coming back. He has sound fundamentals, but he, alone, can't compete with our front line, which is three deep in talent. We win at BYU comfortably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    If our Zags can't beat BYU at their house -- we do not deserve a #2 ranking and a one seed-- too many of our good wins have stumbled/had injuries and issues winning games they should be winning (a loss at BYU will have an impact on both ranking and seed)-- up to the guys on the court to keep the momentum going and prove they deserve the ranking and the upcoming seeding in the dance-- pundits would love to drop us down the ranking and into a lower seed if we stumble.

    Just win baby.......
    Agreed. If we can't win at BYU, we're not a top 4 team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,280

    Default

    If we lose by 2 at BYU with no other losses and a 20 point win against BYU in the conference final, to finish the season with 2 losses and several tough road game wins, we are certainly "one of" the top teams and a low one or high two seed.

    That seems fairly straightforward to me.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    711

    Default

    BPI gives BYU a 37% chance to win at home. The next 2 toughest games left for GU are at SMC (34%) and at USF (20%). Hopefully all 3 will give good games and help prepare us for March. BYU and SMC would both be quad 1 wins, and USF a quad 2.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Childs is a star *for BYU. Don't forget why he's back. He declared, didn't get interest, declared again in the same year to make sure it was noticed, and still didn't get interest, then he announced he was coming back. He has sound fundamentals, but he, alone, can't compete with our front line, which is three deep in talent. We win at BYU comfortably.



    Agreed. If we can't win at BYU, we're not a top 4 team.
    I’ve said my piece on this subject...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,826

    Default

    BYU tied their team record for made three pointers and hung 107 points on Pepperdine tonight. They are a dangerous team if you let them get it going.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    BYU tied their team record for made three pointers and hung 107 points on Pepperdine tonight. They are a dangerous team if you let them get it going.
    Yup. Childs will get his no doubt, but if BYU beats Gonzaga in Provo it will be because they shot well from the outside.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,252

    Default

    There is a difference between Gonzaga playing at BYU and EVERY OTHER TEAM playing at BYU. A huge difference.

    When I saw SDSU dismantle UNM last night, the thing that just came to mind is that they can throw any number they want at me, but the WCC is a flat out superior conference this year than the MWC. I have watched enough MWC teams play to determine that with the eye test. Could care less about rankings, the numbers or anything else. It's an inferior league. The CBS Sports Network folks tonight didn't even recognize that Santa Clara was 17-5 entering the game. All they could think of is that GU beat them by 50 at the Kennel. But as Mark Few said in the post game wrap up, playing on the road makes THAT MUCH of a difference.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    All losses are "bad" by definition. Lot's of wouldacouldashouldas with Childs being out but my point is I haven't seen a strikingly better team with him in, USF was a case-in-point. And it was really a 4 point loss with a buzzer 3 the defender ran from to avoid fouling, and an 8.5 point loss against the spread. They also collapsed to Utah. You'd think that after dropping 30, you could weather your star player getting hurt mid-second half.

    Broadly and sadly speaking, the WCC is still the WCC. Not seeing much to be impressed with.
    you seem to have an unreasonable bias against byu for some reason...every predictive metric has them as a top 30 team in the nation and kenpom has them at 20...they beat current ap #21 ranked houston on the road.

    they lost to a hot usf team on the road in a game the dons shot 13-25 from three. if the dons shoot over 50% from three on saturday imo 50/50 odds they beat the zags too...zags perimeter d hasn't been great all year, so wouldn't be shocking.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    you seem to have an unreasonable bias against byu for some reason[.]
    Shamelessly. I am also a Utah Football fan. That makes BYU evil, except that I have immense respect for a few people in the program: Dave Rose, Kyle Collinsworth, Davies, Pope, Toolson.

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    every predictive metric has them as a top 30 team in the nation and kenpom has them at 20...
    I don't see predictive metrics as reliable indicators for the quality of the team. Yes, I think they are necessary for tournament seeding, but if you observe the history of the program, it has a single Sweet 16 in the shot clock era when it had the NPOY, which probably should've been a final four if Davies wasn't suspended, but since then a few appearances and that's it. Along with the rest of the WCC, I can't get excited about a team that may be a bit better that itself but has yet to prove anything post-season. Dayton and Ohio State had great metrics earlier this year too, but it means nothing now. Tournament performance is the best indicator.

    And while everyone thinks Childs is amazing, he's still not on any draft boards, regardless of my bias.

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    they beat current ap #21 ranked houston on the road.
    *on a fade-away buzzer-beater. We also looked sloppy in early games, but needed some time to build chemistry. I don't put much stock into early games.

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    they lost to a hot usf team on the road in a game the dons shot 13-25 from three. if the dons shoot over 50% from three on saturday imo 50/50 odds they beat the zags too...zags perimeter d hasn't been great all year, so wouldn't be shocking.
    Agreed, but they also gave up 21 points unanswered. I can't think of a single elite program, ever, that did that. That's a massive red flag. USF won the game, but BYU also lost it.

    I do think Pope is talented enough to get something going, but until he puts a few years of second round appearances together, it's business as usual in the WCC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    711

    Default

    I dont have any problem with any of the above, it's all sound logic, backed up with good reasoning. My only disagreement is Yoeli isnt good because hes not on any draft boards. A lot of times the best college players arent the best NBA prospects, they're different games and the NBA is looking down the road at potential. You cant tell me a guy that has put up his numbers isnt a good college player. Show me any top 100 draft board and I'll take him over 50+ of those guys right now easy. He was a top 25 player in all the preseason publications for college for a reason. Doesn't have much to do with his NBA future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •