Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Your CBS Sports Network announcers for Gonzaga at Santa Clara

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,254

    Default Your CBS Sports Network announcers for Gonzaga at Santa Clara

    Well, the TV coverage will be a little different this week. CBS Sports Network will be showing a WCC doubleheader on Thursday night. Game one is Pepperdine at BYU (5:30pm PT). Game two, of course, is Gonzaga at Santa Clara. Our announcers will be:

    Play by Play: Carter Blackburn
    Color Analyst: Pete (the red head) Gillen
    Sideline Reporter: John Schriffen

    I have to say that Gillen is not my favorite analyst. He tends to be a bit of a BCS homer at times. But there are far worse...….

    If you watch CBS Sports Network very much, they are showing a hell of a ball game tonight at 6pm. #4 and unbeaten San Diego State at New Mexico.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,438

    Default

    Not a fan of Gillen either.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    “They’re on more than Leave it to Beaver......reruns.”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Not a fan of Gillen either.
    I like Pete a lot more than Steve Lappas. Lappas didn’t even seem to know the Zags were one of the 2 teams playing when GU knocked off Seton Hall in the 11/6 game a few years ago.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I like Pete a lot more than Steve Lappas. Lappas didn’t even seem to know the Zags were one of the 2 teams playing when GU knocked off Seton Hall in the 11/6 game a few years ago.
    Lappas' performance that game scarred my soul.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I like Pete a lot more than Steve Lappas. Lappas didn’t even seem to know the Zags were one of the 2 teams playing when GU knocked off Seton Hall in the 11/6 game a few years ago.
    Agree, he’s an idiot. Bounced from Nova, he still thinks he’s a major coach. Makes no prep at all. Forget him, how do major CBB nets keep using him? The industry needs fresh blood. And diversity.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I like Pete a lot more than Steve Lappas. Lappas didn’t even seem to know the Zags were one of the 2 teams playing when GU knocked off Seton Hall in the 11/6 game a few years ago.

    With you on that one, GZ.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,288

    Default

    I am absolutely blessed by the fact that unless it is the top top teams on CBS or ESPN, I basically don't even hear the announcers other than tiny bits of background.

    I will say one positive, it's fantastic to have the double header and have the BYU game on right before. I would love that to be the case each Thurs - just not have us as late game each time.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    7:30 tip? What, they couldn’t make it any later?


    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I am absolutely blessed by the fact that unless it is the top top teams on CBS or ESPN, I basically don't even hear the announcers other than tiny bits of background.

    I will say one positive, it's fantastic to have the double header and have the BYU game on right before. I would love that to be the case each Thurs - just not have us as late game each time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,254

    Default

    Lappas is the worst TV color analyst in the business, bar none (I don't even consider Walton to be a color analyst (he's more like a clown)). The 2 things that I cannot stand about Lappas:

    1) He acts like he knows more than any of the coaches on the floor, even if the coach he's critiquing has a 82% winning percentage and has taken his team to 5 straight sweet 16's or better. I've never heard a guy critique coaches more than him. "What are you doing!" "That is so stupid!" "You can't call a play like that!", etc. The guy has a major chip on his shoulder. As Jazz says, it's almost like he's resentful for Villanova canning him and the fact that he never got a decent job offer after his firing. So he takes it out on everyone else.

    2) His delivery is awful. He sounds like a dog with rabies......like he has spittle dripping down his mouth throughout the entire broadcast.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    692

    Default This made me laugh

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    “They’re on more than Leave it to Beaver......reruns.”
    I listen to the Jim Rome Show daily for the last 23 years. This quote by Pete Gillen is referenced all the time on that show. It’s one of the classic quotes that has stood the test of time on that show. Was this when Pete Gillen coached at Xavier and they had a stud power forward get his 4th and 5th foul in a matter of like 10 seconds, one minute into the second half? I think it was an elite 8 game.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    7:30 tip? What, they couldn’t make it any later?
    You are on Pac time and letting me know how much that is an issue?

    I guess I was saying IF they are going to tip off late, have a good WCC game up first. Rather than Georgia against Arkansas or something equally stupid.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You are on Pac time and letting me know how much that is an issue?

    I guess I was saying IF they are going to tip off late, have a good WCC game up first. Rather than Georgia against Arkansas or something equally stupid.
    Some earlier tip off times would sure help the Gonzaga brand on the east coast. I'm sure the networks are trying to appeal to the prime west coast market, however some more visabillaty at a tip off time on a major network before 10:00pm would be nice!! Not many people are staying up past midnight to watch a college basketball game during the week. Of course I will be watching!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    D....it was his hilarious reference to the number of times Duke’s games are on national tv, versus UVa and the rest of the ACC. The key is the beat he takes between Beaver.......and reruns. And of course the wonderful and to me familiar Brooklyn accent.

    http://www.purplemountainhaze.com/?p=85

    Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    I listen to the Jim Rome Show daily for the last 23 years. This quote by Pete Gillen is referenced all the time on that show. It’s one of the classic quotes that has stood the test of time on that show. Was this when Pete Gillen coached at Xavier and they had a stud power forward get his 4th and 5th foul in a matter of like 10 seconds, one minute into the second half? I think it was an elite 8 game.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You are on Pac time and letting me know how much that is an issue?

    I guess I was saying IF they are going to tip off late, have a good WCC game up first. Rather than Georgia against Arkansas or something equally stupid.
    Everything’s relative, my brother.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    58

    Default

    yep, I watch the Zags from Ireland. Almost every game is at 3am for me. Still watch them at that unholy hour.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    yep, I watch the Zags from Ireland. Almost every game is at 3am for me. Still watch them at that unholy hour.
    Erin go Zagh?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Hah, I like it!
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Hah, I like it!
    Sláinte...��

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Does anyone know if CBS Sports Network is accessible if you have a subscription to CBS All Access? I recently signed up just to watch Picard but it would be nice to be able to watch the game to without having to sign up for another service through the same company.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Does anyone know if CBS Sports Network is accessible if you have a subscription to CBS All Access? I recently signed up just to watch Picard but it would be nice to be able to watch the game to without having to sign up for another service through the same company.
    It should be. I just got All Access as well and was watching live sports the other night. If not - it will be on CBS Sports online.
    GO ZAGS!!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Some earlier tip off times would sure help the Gonzaga brand on the east coast. I'm sure the networks are trying to appeal to the prime west coast market, however some more visabillaty at a tip off time on a major network before 10:00pm would be nice!! Not many people are staying up past midnight to watch a college basketball game during the week. Of course I will be watching!
    I like the earlier tip times as well, even though I live in the Pacific Time Zone. I am an early riser (5 am sometimes), so I rarely stay up past 11 pm. If I lived on the East Coast I would have to DVR the games.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CDA - The distillery of pure Zaga!
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Erin go Zagh?
    Clever you are!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    D....it was his hilarious reference to the number of times Duke’s games are on national tv, versus UVa and the rest of the ACC. The key is the beat he takes between Beaver.......and reruns. And of course the wonderful and to me familiar Brooklyn accent.

    http://www.purplemountainhaze.com/?p=85
    That’s right! It’s when he was at Virginia. Great going down memory lane with this classic quote lol

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Does anyone know if CBS Sports Network is accessible if you have a subscription to CBS All Access? I recently signed up just to watch Picard but it would be nice to be able to watch the game to without having to sign up for another service through the same company.
    It does not look like the CBS Sports HQ that comes with the CBS All Access will have tonight's game. This is disappointing.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •