• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Father Bernard J. Coughlin, S.J., has passed

Article Link: https://www.gonzaga.edu/about/rememb...rd-coughlin-sj

He is Gonzaga’s longest tenured president, 1974-1996, and its first and only chancellor, 1996-2016. He served the University for 42 years. He oversaw a $72 million capital campaign resulting in construction of new or vastly renovated buildings for the schools of Business Administration, Education and Engineering, as well as Martin Centre for Athletics, Foley Center, Jundt Art Center and Museum and Dussault and Burch student residences. His passion for securing the University’s future was evident in his penchant to grow the endowment fund from $1 million in 1974 to $60 million in 1996. Enrollment grew more than 50%, as did the University’s reputation, earning top 10 ratings in U.S. News & World Report’s Regional Rankings in its annual Best College’s publication.

Mods: Will move this to the "Gonzaga University Talk" forum in a few days.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Sad news, he did more for GU than any other President. He (and Magnuson) kept the doors open and then moved GU forward. He was a rock.
    RIP Barney.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

He certainly lived a long and powerfully fulfilling life. He was president when I was there. I think he even still taught one sociology class, too.

Still, I'd like to just turn off 2020 and turn it back on, see if it's not fixed. Losing too many good people.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• AirborneJag
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2009

I saw this announcement this morning when I was in the GU Law clinic. I always liked and respected him. He was “old school” in a lot of ways but without him and Harry, GU might not exist. Those were dire times for the university and together with help of others, pulled it out of near bankruptcy and as they say, the rest is history.

I believe he was the right person in the right place, to do the right things at the right time. God Bless him and I am sure there is a special room in the Lord’s house for him.

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

OT: Father Bernard J. Coughlin, S.J., has passed

What a remarkable, memorable man. He has left a tremendous legacy that many of us are part of. He is very probably the most important President of our University. My thanks to him for all he did for Gonzaga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Sadly, I never met him, but his leadership set the tone during my years at GU. Rest In Peace, Fr. Coughlin.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AirborneJag View Post
              I saw this announcement this morning when I was in the GU Law clinic. I always liked and respected him. He was “old school” in a lot of ways but without him and Harry, GU might not exist. Those were dire times for the university and together with help of others, pulled it out of near bankruptcy and as they say, the rest is history.

I believe he was the right person in the right place, to do the right things at the right time. God Bless him and I am sure there is a special room in the Lord’s house for him.
              Well said. RIP Fr. Coughlin.
              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Big loss of a man who was thoughtful, vision and was among the most spiritual men I’ve ever met. He was beyond his rock solid faith. Long term patient. We are diminished the loss of a truly great man and Jesuit. RIP my friend

Comment

• spike_jr
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2009

I was lucky enough to have him marry the wife and I. What a great man and friend. Definitely one of a kind! He may be the most amazing, humble individual that I have ever known. The world was a much better place with Bernard J Coughlin, SJ in it. Rest in Peace, Father.

Comment

• GoZags
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Rest in Peace, Father Coughlin.

In my mind there's an incredible trio up in Heaven ... three Jesuits who positively impacted my life. Father Dussault, Father Tony and Father Coughlin.

I'm so glad Father Coughlin lived to see the impact Gonzaga has had on the region, the State, the Nation and the World. Father Tony saw the beginnings of the transformation ... and Father Dussault missed the rise.

But the bottom line ... attested by longtime Boardmembers and members of the Gonzaga community/family is that Dickau got it right all those years ago.

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people".
                    sigpic
                    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                    ——-
                    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Less an obituary and more of a feature story on Fr. Coughlin appeared in today's S-R:

LINK: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...v-bernard-j-c/

“He gathered a rather broad range of thought about how the university should position itself in the community and within the realm of higher education,” said Tilford.

He also sought out a number of women to serve in a formative role on university boards during his time at the school, said trustee emerita Gerri Craves. She first sat on the board of regents as one of two women out of 30 people in 1999.

Coughlin used his knack for finding points of connection with people to foster relationships with potential benefactors, like the Jepsons, Hemmingsons, Woldsons and many other families whose names are now on buildings across campus.
                      When Coughlin stepped down as president in 1996, the university’s endowment was nearly $60 million and enrollment had grown more than 50% to about 4,600 students. He then became the school’s first and only chancellor, where he continued to influence relationships with benefactors and worked with McCulloh during the first half of his presidency.

McCulloh said Coughlin had a habit of sensing when the university might be hitting a bump in the road and showing up in his office to lend his support.

“Father Coughlin had this remarkable ability to help people regain perspective and recognize that what we do matters,” McCulloh said. “It matters at the specific level of the individual person.”

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Service Information

Story Link from Gonzaga University: https://www.gonzaga.edu/about/rememb...or-fr-coughlin

Funeral
                        Friday, February 21, 2020
                        11:00 a.m.
                        St. Aloysius Church

Comment

Working...
                        X