Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of the Zags 2020 season, who stays, who goes?

Default End of the Zags 2020 season, who stays, who goes?

Seeing as how the season is roughly half over, I'm sure all of us here have seen the players play and have evaluated their talent. So my question is, who is leaving the program after we play our last game?

Obviously Tillie, Gilder, and Woolridge are leaving; they are seniors. But I think the rest of the crew is sticking around. Other than Tils, I am not seeing any Gonzaga names on any mock NBA draft for 2020.

Ayayi is a great talent, but he needs to put on weight if he hopes to compete in the NBA. Corey has a great outside shot, but he is in a great position to be the team leader next season. And Petrol, I just think he is still too raw and could benefit greatly from another year of college ball.

Thoughts?

Ayayi is projected to be a late first-rounder. He's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think petrusev is going to go also.

Both should stay and I think they will, they've got so much to improve on. Petrusev in particular will not survive in the NBA with his current level of defense.

I think Ayayi should come back and show he can be the number one offensive option on a great team. He's a guy that I believe still has loads of potential that he has yet to realize.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

At the beginning of the year, I thought at least two of the following would be first round picks: Watson, Petrusev and Ballo. I thought Tillie would be a second round pick.

Now, I'd put my money on Ayayi and Tillie being selected. If Petrusev can gain some traction and dominate some teams in the NCAA tournament, I think he has a shot, too.

Long way to go this season. WCC games won’t tell us enough. Tournament competition will give us a better idea of the future for these guys. I’m not going to speculate yet. Too many unknowns.

For now, enjoy the games. All of these kids will be gone soon enough.

I don't know if Petrusev's game is built for the NBA, but I think he likely declares and is taken in the second round.

Ayayi has a chance to stick in the league and could be a first rounder this year. If he's getting feedback that he's a first round lock, he would probably be wise to go. He would have a chance to vault himself into All-American and top 20 pick status if he stays though. I'd put the odds at 60% (he declares) 40% (he stays).

Tillie has been incredible recently. He's an easy top 20 pick in this draft without the health concerns.

Kispert seems like a guy who is loving his college experience so much that he will postpone his professional career to play all four years.
    Last edited by Worthington; 01-28-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    I don't know if Petrusev's game is built for the NBA, but I think he likely declares and is taken in the second round.

Ayayi has a chance to stick in the league and could be a first rounder this year. If he's getting feedback that he's a first round lock, he would probably be wise to go. He would have a chance to vault himself into All-American and top 20 pick status if he stays though. I'd put the odds at 60% (he declares) 40% (he stays).

Tillie has been incredible recently. He's an easy top 20 pick in this draft without the health concerns.
    I agree with the above, especially the thoughts on Petrusev. There are not many guys who survive in the NBA with Petrusev's current skills. The lack of D is one thing, but true post up players who can't or don't shoot from the perimeter are a thing of the past in the current NBA. Petrusev is not a terrific NBA athlete and without that athleticism or outside shot, I'm not sure his skill set is what current NBA teams want/need. With that being said, a long professional career awaits Petrusev even if he leaves this year and as a foreign kid.... playing in Europe can still be very exciting and lucrative. He can be an NBA player but if that is his goal, he would be much better served working on his perimeter shot relentlessly this off season and proving he can stretch the floor next season. He would be a dominant college player next year!

If they get to FF our house will get a lot of attention and get cleaned out IMO. If we don’t get far when the going gets tough I’m not sure they have the same sparkle.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Long way to go this season. WCC games won’t tell us enough. Tournament competition will give us a better idea of the future for these guys. I’m not going to speculate yet. Too many unknowns.
    I didn't think about that (the WCC thing), but our first two games in the Dance will be against teams that mimic the talent level of Detroit Mercy. We may not see a "real" team until we hit Staples Center.

He (Petrol) would be a dominant college player next year!
    That's what I am hoping for; the one-two punch of Petrol and Oumar would be epic.

I think Joel and Petro are even less prepared for the NBA than Norvell was. Draw your own conclusions.

I think (not want) Ayayi and Petro to go. If one of them stays, I suspect it's PP, but I bet he plays in Europe. Joel will be drafted on potential.

If Joel doesn't go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Martynas Arlauskas leave.
    This team next year with Joel wouldn't have room for Arlasukas to play much. He'll be at the 2/3 spot behind Watson, Kispert, Ayayi, Strawther, Harris. He'll overall be 9th on the depth chart if Ayayi stays and Suggs (or a grad PG) shows up. Few seldom gives the 8th or even 9th guy much time, unless it's a freshman with high upside.

Suggs/Ayayi/Harris/Strawther/Kispert/Ballo/Watson/Timme

Only way anyone on our current roster gets drafted is if Ayayi blows up even more during march on the national stage... and I doubt that will really be the case. He could go second round maybe, but I doubt hed stick anywhere.

Petrusev is no where close. He is all but a non-factor on defense and needs to expand his range. Heck he still misses bunnies all over the place right now. One more year of training, if he's engaged and committed to fixing then showing what he can do, then he could be an amazing college player and really make a name for himself come 2010 draft day. .

Tillie flat out has too much of an injury history for any team to gamble on him with anything more than a stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I think (not want) Ayayi and Petro to go. If one of them stays, I suspect it's PP, but I bet he plays in Europe. Joel will be drafted on potential.

If Joel doesn't go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Martynas Arlauskas leave.
    This team next year with Joel wouldn't have room for Arlasukas to play much. He'll be at the 2/3 spot behind Watson, Kispert, Ayayi, Strawther, Harris. He'll overall be 9th on the depth chart if Ayayi stays and Suggs (or a grad PG) shows up. Few seldom gives the 8th or even 9th guy much time, unless it's a freshman with high upside.

Suggs/Ayayi/Harris/Strawther/Kispert/Ballo/Watson/Timme
    Thats a good point I hadnt considered about Arlasukas.

Honestly, I don't think there is a single player who can or should leave early. If it were to be anyone, I'd suspect it would be Petrusev. He is raw, but the growth in his game has been solid. Ayayi needs a smidge more work. Really think he could play himself into a lottery pick if he stays.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I think Joel and Petro are even less prepared for the NBA than Norvell was. Draw your own conclusions.
    This. I think Joel has NBA starter potential if he can continue to work on his game.

We all have our opinions obviously, but end of the day, it's exactly what Zach Collin's dad said, "You don't decide when you're ready for the NBA, the NBA decides when you are ready." or something like that.
    As fans, we always want them all to return and can make a case for each. For most though, it's hard to turn down a paycheck for doing what they love !

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    We all have our opinions obviously, but end of the day, it's exactly what Zach Collin's dad said, "You don't decide when you're ready for the NBA, the NBA decides when you are ready." or something like that.
    As fans, we always want them all to return and can make a case for each. For most though, it's hard to turn down a paycheck for doing what they love !
    This was posted in the Old Dogs section:

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Interesting article in The Athletic today:

The benefits of a ‘calloused mind’: Zach Collins’ rehab includes his approach to the game ⁠— and his life
    Somewhere between the haze of dashed dreams and the post-surgery pity parties, Collins was confronted by what many professional athletes encounter during a major injury: an identity crisis. During most of his 21 years, basketball was the most defining element of his life. It was what he was best at, how he was recognized, how he managed his stress, and how he viewed himself.

And now, basketball was gone until the spring, leaving him with a harrowing question: Who was he?

“What else do you have?” Collins remembers asking himself. “And I realized, I don’t have much.”
    The thing that always comes up in my head when these conversations come up is how Blake Griffin went on record saying he wished he had have stayed in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    This. I think Joel has NBA starter potential if he can continue to work on his game.
    You're right. And he can do that next year as a professional.

Joel and Petro are very likely gone. I'd bet money on it. My confidence is not based on inside knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    You're right. And he can do that next year as a professional.

Joel and Petro are very likely gone. I'd bet money on it. My confidence is not based on inside knowledge.
    I will take the bet on Joel........good cup of coffee
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    On some projections, others dont have him in the top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Thats a good point I hadnt considered about Arlasukas.
    I wouldnt automatically put him behind strawther or Harris without seeing them play in college, I think Arlauskas has great potential, especially on D. I also wouldnt put him behind Watson. I think he is like Rui, everyone thinks he is going to play the 3, but 90+% of his minutes will come at the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I didn't think about that (the WCC thing), but our first two games in the Dance will be against teams that mimic the talent level of Detroit Mercy. We may not see a "real" team until we hit Staples Center.

That's what I am hoping for; the one-two punch of Petrol and Oumar would be epic.
    Detroit is currently 279 on KenPom. The teams we would see in the 2nd round are for the most part top 50 on KenPom. On Lunardis latest projection teams that are 8-9 are Arizona, Michigan, SMC... definitely better than Detroit. Even the 16 seed will probably be better.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I wouldnt automatically put him behind strawther or Harris without seeing them play in college, I think Arlauskas has great potential, especially on D. I also wouldnt put him behind Watson. I think he is like Rui, everyone thinks he is going to play the 3, but 90+% of his minutes will come at the 4.
    I don’t understand what “automatically” means in this statement. My speculation about minutes, depth chart, and Arlauskas’ future are based on seeing he and strawther play on video, including in the same FIBA tournament vs the same competition, as well as reading Strawther’s AAU and high school stats. Does any other poster predict Arlauskas plays more than strawther (or Harris) next year? Maybe my view is a minority one. I agree most of Watson’s time will be as a small/ modern 4.

Kispert will be playing 30 mins next year, most of it at the 3.

If Kispert plays just 25 mins at the 3 next year, strawther 10 and Harris, Ayayi, Watson play 0 minutes at the 3, do you think arlauskas stays to play 5 mins a game? It’s possible. but likely?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I will take the bet on Joel........good cup of coffee
    Deal. It'll probably be a long time before the winner collects, but we're bound to be around Spokane at the same time one day.