Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobe RIP - OT

Default Kobe RIP - OT

Tragic news of Kobe passing in helicopter crash. He was so young with so much to offer. Shocking.

Unhappy RIP Kobe Bryant

Age 41. Killed in a helicopter crash this morning.

ESPN Story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...licopter-crash

Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant is among five people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The crash comes one day after Bryant was passed by Lakers forward LeBron James for third place on the NBA's all-time scoring list. As late as 10:39 p.m. ET on Saturday night, Bryant was active on social media, congratulating Bryant on Twitter during the Lakers 108-91 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

Huge loss. Amazing player, too young!

Second* (not oldest) daughter also in helicopter.

RIP Mamba & GiGi
    Last edited by StatZag19; 01-26-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Incorrect information

Heart Breaking news.

When the Zags made the Final Four, Kobe made an appearance at a film session. John Blanchette's story:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ls-gonzaga-pl/

Terrible news. I liked him even better following basketball. Flew his daughter to little ‘ol Cashmere, Washington (1A) school to watch Van Lith play and support her about a month ago. Wanted no attention - it was a tight secret until people saw him in the tiny gym for tip-off. He talked to the team afterwards. Both him and his daughter were lost in the crash. Condolences.

Like many athletes, Kobe entered as a brash world-beater at 18 years old, and mastered both the game and being a good person, retired as someone pretty well everyone loved.

Really a gut punch, loss of the daughter makes it that much sadder.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Brandon Clarke is playing today. I can’t imagine how difficult this is for the players. This is a tough one to bear.
    Parlez-vous français?

There’s going to be a GIANT shadow towering above this Tuesday’s Clippers and Lakers game. Thousands will cry as the Lakers have their first home game since his death. He was beyond loved and even deified in life. He played 57,278 minutes for the Lakers. Competed as hard as anyone ever has, and this competitive spirit is what we love and celebrate most in sports.

You see these figures so often that it is almost impossible not to think that they’ll remain in the spot light for years after they stop their playing careers. When they achieve the height of greatness that a player like Kobe Bryant did, they take on an air of invincibility. This morning, I thought that Kobe couldn’t be dead. He was too great to die this young. He had transitioned well into a fatherhood-focused, post playing career life. He had become a mentor for the game’s great young talent.

I didn’t know that someone dying tragically would touch me this much today. I rooted both for and against him. At the end of his career, I wish he had stayed healthy enough to gun for the most points scored by any NBA player, even if the Lakers weren’t relevant. Instead, I have a giant feeling of empathy for all his most ardent fans, but even more so for the parents who lost a son and a grandchild as well as the wife who lost her husband and daughter. I hope the best of what this man did lives on forever for those people in the best memories he left behind.

Brilliant words, Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    There’s going to be a GIANT shadow towering above this Tuesday’s Clippers and Lakers game. Thousands will cry as the Lakers have their first home game since his death. He was beyond loved and even deified in life. He played 57,278 minutes for the Lakers. Competed as hard as anyone ever has, and this competitive spirit is what we love and celebrate most in sports.

You see these figures so often that it is almost impossible not to think that they’ll remain in the spot light for years after they stop their playing careers. When they achieve the height of greatness that a player like Kobe Bryant did, they take on an air of invincibility. This morning, I thought that Kobe couldn’t be dead. He was too great to die this young. He had transitioned well into a fatherhood-focused, post playing career life. He had become a mentor for the game’s great young talent.

I didn’t know that someone dying tragically would touch me this much today. I rooted both for and against him. At the end of his career, I wish he had stayed healthy enough to gun for the most points scored by any NBA player, even if the Lakers weren’t relevant. Instead, I have a giant feeling of empathy for all his most ardent fans, but even more so for the parents who lost a son and a grandchild as well as the wife who lost her husband and daughter. I hope the best of what this man did lives on forever for those people in the best memories he left behind.

This is on such a crazy level. I hate hearing when young kids pass away. Rip to everyone.
    Love the zags for life

Never much of a Lakers fan... but always respected Kobe for the champion that he was. Truly a sad day. I cannot fathom the three families the lost both a spouse and a child in one fell swoop... just has to be soul crushing.

Godspeed Kobe, rest in peace.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It is super hard to hear about the loss of his daughter and the other family on board, but I won't forgive him for what he did in Colorado. He is up there with Big Ben as reprehensible athletes who stood above justice.

Though he retired from competition himself and went out with his head held high, somehow Housman's words seem nonetheless fitting given how active he was in other worthy endeavors for his family and the community.

To an Athlete Dying Young
    BY A. E. HOUSMAN

The time you won your town the race
    We chaired you through the market-place;
    Man and boy stood cheering by,
    And home we brought you shoulder-high.

Today, the road all runners come,
    Shoulder-high we bring you home,
    And set you at your threshold down,
    Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
    From fields where glory does not stay,
    And early though the laurel grows
    It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
    Cannot see the record cut,
    And silence sounds no worse than cheers
    After earth has stopped the ears.

Now you will not swell the rout
    Of lads that wore their honours out,
    Runners whom renown outran
    And the name died before the man.

So set, before its echoes fade,
    The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
    And hold to the low lintel up
    The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
    Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
    And find unwithered on its curls
    The garland briefer than a girl’s.

Sinto... It’s as beautiful. now as it was when I was 16. Thanks for posting...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    It is super hard to hear about the loss of his daughter and the other family on board, but I won't forgive him for what he did in Colorado. He is up there with Big Ben as reprehensible athletes who stood above justice.
    Maybe another day.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe another day.
    I agree... perhaps the day someone dies tragically and unexpectedly is the time to employ the old if you have nothing nice to say it’s better to not say anything at all.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

[QUOTE=LongIslandZagFan;1499674]I agree... perhaps the day someone dies tragically and unexpectedly is the time to employ the old if you have nothing nice to say it’s better to not say anything at all.[/QUOTE

It's not a simple matter of him being a jerk or some feud with Shaq. David Stern got more hate on this board than Kobe when he passed.

Man, this is the most heartbroken I’ve ever been over a celebrity death. Growing up watching Kobe, it just always seemed like he was invincible and nothing was going to beat him. Since he was in the national spotlight since he was 18, Kobe was one of the first young sports star the world watched grow up. I never imagined that we wouldn’t get to see him grow old. He had already accomplished so much since retiring from the NBA, who knows what he could’ve done down the road.

And the fact that one of his biggest accomplishments and one of the things he’s most proud of went down with him in that helicopter is absolutely devastating. RIP to Kobe, Gigi and everyone else that were onboard. Praying for all the families affected by this tragedy.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

[QUOTE=Ladyzag12;1499677]
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I agree... perhaps the day someone dies tragically and unexpectedly is the time to employ the old if you have nothing nice to say it’s better to not say anything at all.[/QUOTE

It's not a simple matter of him being a jerk or some feud with Shaq. David Stern got more hate on this board than Kobe when he passed.
    Accuser refused to testify against him yet filed a lawsuit against him. Did he have an affair... yes... that much is not in doubt. That tells you what you need to know about that. Kobe more than paid for it with the hit on his reputation and almost destroying his marriage. Perhaps you should look into him more. Since that time he had been a solid husband a father. The people who said things about Stern did wait a bit.

[QUOTE=Ladyzag12;1499677]
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I agree... perhaps the day someone dies tragically and unexpectedly is the time to employ the old if you have nothing nice to say it’s better to not say anything at all.[/QUOTE

You’re not wrong, you’re just out order. Please stop.

Jim Meehan with a brief article re: Zags with memories of their interactions with Kobe:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-recall-kobe-/

Several former Zags, including Adam Morrison, Ronny Turiaf, Robert Sacre and Elias Harris, were teammates at one time with Bryant. Morrison was in attendance for Bryant’s final game on April 13, 2016, when the 18-time NBA All-Star scored 60 points against Utah.

“Greatest competitor I’ve had the honor to play with,” Morrison posted on Instagram. “Warrior, savant, friend. Always stuck up for me. Gone too soon.”

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

The hope is always to be able to celebrate someone in life, and not in death. I didn't celebrate Kobe in his life for many reasons, some of them petty, but I was saddened by the news of his passing. He was controversial, but he was also a son, a husband, and a father. Persons who loved him had a piece of them torn away today that is never going to replaced. He seemed to be beloved and appreciated in his life after basketball as a person and not just a player. He may have been guilty of a terrible thing, but likely only a few will ever know the truth. I have been guilty of things that I am not proud of, including being judgemental of him, so his passing puts some things into perspective. I hope that his soul found the rest and peace in this life that will allow him to have it in the next.