• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stache
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2007

Kobe RIP - OT

Tragic news of Kobe passing in helicopter crash. He was so young with so much to offer. Shocking.
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

RIP Kobe Bryant

Age 41. Killed in a helicopter crash this morning.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

ESPN Story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...licopter-crash

Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant is among five people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The crash comes one day after Bryant was passed by Lakers forward LeBron James for third place on the NBA's all-time scoring list. As late as 10:39 p.m. ET on Saturday night, Bryant was active on social media, congratulating Bryant on Twitter during the Lakers 108-91 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Ezag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Huge loss. Amazing player, too young!

Comment

• StatZag19
          Professional Zag Fan
          • May 2019

Second* (not oldest) daughter also in helicopter.

RIP Mamba & GiGi
          Last edited by StatZag19; 01-26-2020, 03:20 PM. Reason: Incorrect information
          I take nothing nor anyone on this forum seriously in any form or way. It is no more or less than a satirical board until legitimacy is restored.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Heart Breaking news.

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

When the Zags made the Final Four, Kobe made an appearance at a film session. John Blanchette's story:

Kobe Bryant had a mic-drop exit from the NBA, and a jaw-dropping entrance to the Gonzaga Bulldogs on their first night at the Final Four.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

Terrible news. I liked him even better following basketball. Flew his daughter to little ‘ol Cashmere, Washington (1A) school to watch Van Lith play and support her about a month ago. Wanted no attention - it was a tight secret until people saw him in the tiny gym for tip-off. He talked to the team afterwards. Both him and his daughter were lost in the crash. Condolences.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

Like many athletes, Kobe entered as a brash world-beater at 18 years old, and mastered both the game and being a good person, retired as someone pretty well everyone loved.

Really a gut punch, loss of the daughter makes it that much sadder.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mantua
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Brandon Clarke is playing today. I can’t imagine how difficult this is for the players. This is a tough one to bear.
                    Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Malastein
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

There’s going to be a GIANT shadow towering above this Tuesday’s Clippers and Lakers game. Thousands will cry as the Lakers have their first home game since his death. He was beyond loved and even deified in life. He played 57,278 minutes for the Lakers. Competed as hard as anyone ever has, and this competitive spirit is what we love and celebrate most in sports.

You see these figures so often that it is almost impossible not to think that they’ll remain in the spot light for years after they stop their playing careers. When they achieve the height of greatness that a player like Kobe Bryant did, they take on an air of invincibility. This morning, I thought that Kobe couldn’t be dead. He was too great to die this young. He had transitioned well into a fatherhood-focused, post playing career life. He had become a mentor for the game’s great young talent.

I didn’t know that someone dying tragically would touch me this much today. I rooted both for and against him. At the end of his career, I wish he had stayed healthy enough to gun for the most points scored by any NBA player, even if the Lakers weren’t relevant. Instead, I have a giant feeling of empathy for all his most ardent fans, but even more so for the parents who lost a son and a grandchild as well as the wife who lost her husband and daughter. I hope the best of what this man did lives on forever for those people in the best memories he left behind.
                      The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Brilliant words, Mal.

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
                        There’s going to be a GIANT shadow towering above this Tuesday’s Clippers and Lakers game. Thousands will cry as the Lakers have their first home game since his death. He was beyond loved and even deified in life. He played 57,278 minutes for the Lakers. Competed as hard as anyone ever has, and this competitive spirit is what we love and celebrate most in sports.

You see these figures so often that it is almost impossible not to think that they’ll remain in the spot light for years after they stop their playing careers. When they achieve the height of greatness that a player like Kobe Bryant did, they take on an air of invincibility. This morning, I thought that Kobe couldn’t be dead. He was too great to die this young. He had transitioned well into a fatherhood-focused, post playing career life. He had become a mentor for the game’s great young talent.

I didn’t know that someone dying tragically would touch me this much today. I rooted both for and against him. At the end of his career, I wish he had stayed healthy enough to gun for the most points scored by any NBA player, even if the Lakers weren’t relevant. Instead, I have a giant feeling of empathy for all his most ardent fans, but even more so for the parents who lost a son and a grandchild as well as the wife who lost her husband and daughter. I hope the best of what this man did lives on forever for those people in the best memories he left behind.

Comment

• Zags11
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

This is on such a crazy level. I hate hearing when young kids pass away. Rip to everyone.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Never much of a Lakers fan... but always respected Kobe for the champion that he was. Truly a sad day. I cannot fathom the three families the lost both a spouse and a child in one fell swoop... just has to be soul crushing.

Godspeed Kobe, rest in peace.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Mar 2019

It is super hard to hear about the loss of his daughter and the other family on board, but I won't forgive him for what he did in Colorado. He is up there with Big Ben as reprehensible athletes who stood above justice.

Comment

Working...
                              X