Thread: Our Three Broadcasters For the Pacific Game

Default Our Three Broadcasters For the Pacific Game

Did anyone else besides me have thoughts or reactions to this threesome?
    Personally I found it refreshing, and pleasant to not have Heister's influence which I find to drag personality issues into most conversations, one-up-man ship issues, and competitive rather than cooperative conversation.
    What I really wish is that Greg would bring the personality and broadcasting skills he using when broadcasting basketball games elsewhere, into his performance when he is with Dan and Richard. Also bring the same personality he uses in the Mark Few Show. He has that good energy and excitement in his broadcasting voice in all his venues.
    In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Did anyone else besides me have thoughts or reactions to this threesome?
    Personally I found it refreshing, and pleasant to not have Heister's influence which I find to drag personality issues into most conversations, one-up-man ship issues, and competitive rather than cooperative conversation.
    What I really wish is that Greg would bring the personality and broadcasting skills he using when broadcasting basketball games elsewhere, into his performance when he is with Dan and Richard. Also bring the same personality he uses in the Mark Few Show. He has that good energy and excitement in his broadcasting voice in all his venues.
    In my opinion.
    One fewer color guy, then it’s perfect. DD is improving, Fox is ok but too focused on the “conference” as if it’s the ACC, and even when well, that voice is tough to take.

I liked Tom Glasgow and hope to see him again doing a Zags game.

But I think Richard explains the nuance of the game better than Dan. Points out a missed assignment, or setup for a play. Bobby Knight was awesome as a color analyst breaking down the game.

I for one love the normal crew and their whole dynamic. I'm probably not the only one. At this point it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    But I think Richard explains the nuance of the game better than Dan. Points out a missed assignment, or setup for a play. Bobby Knight was awesome as a color analyst breaking down the game.
    Agree in all respects. Fox and Dickau both bring good insights and complement each other. However, it takes a pro doing the play-by-play to bring out their best and make it work. Heister is an amateur and he has a deaf ear regarding lame attempts at humor. His attempts at what he thinks is jocular banter with Fox and Dickau about their play, ex-Zags, and their personalities falls flat almost every time. Distracts rather than enhances the broadcast, which is why, when Heister is doing the play-by-play, I turn down the sound and put on the radio broadcast even though it is not in sync with the TV broadcast (like most radio broadcasts it is 6 or 8 seconds ahead of what's on the TV screen).

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Agree in all respects. Fox and Dickau both bring good insights and complement each other. However, it takes a pro doing the play-by-play to bring out their best and make it work. Heister is an amateur and he has a deaf ear regarding lame attempts at humor. His attempts at what he thinks is jocular banter with Fox and Dickau about their play, ex-Zags, and their personalities falls flat almost every time. Distracts rather than enhances the broadcast, which is why, when Heister is doing the play-by-play, I turn down the sound and put on the radio broadcast even though it is not in sync with the TV broadcast (like most radio broadcasts it is 6 or 8 seconds ahead of what's on the TV screen).
    It was open mic night at the Spokane Comedy Club hence his absence.

Tom Glasgow = improved. Better voice. Better understanding of the game.

Heister drives me crazy. Enjoyed Tom Glasgow.
    ZAGS RULE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I for one love the normal crew and their whole dynamic. I'm probably not the only one. At this point it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Yeah, I’m used to these 3. A pal of ours works with Fox on his day job, DD is a Zag and Heister does the Mark Few Show. I feel the 3 know the Zags well and are fans of the team. It’d be fun to have Hudson & Morrison do a couple games (TV). I like them too. I’m a Spokane fan so it’s kinda hard not to like all 5 (although I’m not positive if Heister lives in Spokane or not???).
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    +1

I think Greg Heister gets a bad rap (somewhat deserved) on his Zag broadcasts. In watching other games he has called, he is a pretty good announcer. The issue with his Zag broadcasts, IMO, that it seems like he is trying too hard to joke around with his buddies. I'm not real big on Dickau's announcing abilities myself but it's not horrible or anything. I personally like Richard Fox on the broadcasts.

Tom Glasgow has a voice that reminds me of someone in major broadcasting network.
    I liked it a lot.

Smile I like the Regular Crew, and...

...I like Glasgow too. Heister tries a bit too hard at times (usually when it's a blowout and there's not a lot to report), but he's enthusiastic and does a great job on the Mark Few Show. Root beers for three! (Make that, four!)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I still feel, to borrow a grocery store's phrase, that "three's a crowd." I just do not like three man booths for a fast moving game like college basketball, and I have always preferred Fox over Dickau by a mile as not only an analyst, but in terms of his delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I still feel, to borrow a grocery store's phrase, that "three's a crowd." I just do not like three man booths for a fast moving game like college basketball, and I have always preferred Fox over Dickau by a mile as not only an analyst, but in terms of his delivery.
    Agreed on both points. I honestly think the whole Heister experience would be dramatically improved with just him and either Fox or Dickau. I prefer Fox, but either would be an improvement if it were just the single analyst. It'd also allow Heister to focus more on the game, and spend less time worrying about interacting with analysts, and balancing their contributions, and everything else involved.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

well, I listened all the way and never muted; I like DD and Fox, DD's player perspective and Fox's stuff that tummydoc mentioned go well together, and to hear it the 3td has to lay back more and call the game imo, like Glasgow did. I don't dislike Heister so much as he seems to distract too much with the jibberish needling all the time

1. Glasgow is a pro. Great voice, calls the game actually being played in front of him.
    2. Glasgow makes whoever is paired with him better by allowing time for the other to interject. The commentary should flow, not careen! (tip to one side, while in motion).
    3. Two in the "booth" is better than three. Where else do you find 3 personalities calling a bbk game? And why not? Answer: Too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth.
    4. Heister is capable of calling a good game, we've all seen him do it. But when paired with 2 of his buddies, he becomes competitive and, at times, immature. The viewer can sense the tension from both DD and Fox, as they try to defend themselves against the self-appointed Captain Heister.

I'm not saying I can't enjoy a Zags game with Heister, etal. But there's another level of broadcasting professionalism that befits the caliber of program that Gonzaga has attained. Quite simply, the Zags deserve a top flight broadcasting crew. Right now, they don't have it.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

In response to your 4th point, I agree. I feel like he does a better job calling games that he doesn't have the emotional ties to.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    In response to your 4th point, I agree. I feel like he does a better job calling games that he doesn't have the emotional ties to.
    This includes advertising for products that he has emotional ties to like Subway Meatball Sandwiches, etc.

I feel that both sets are trying and ar working to get better. Maybe they should get a professional like Walton (just kidding).

I understand that Deadhead was unbearable the other night during the Arizona/Arizona State rivalry game with the wild finish.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    I feel that both sets are trying and ar working to get better. Maybe they should get a professional like Walton (just kidding).
    Using the words "professional" and "Walton" in the same sentence brings to mind such oxymorons as:

Swiss navy, jumbo shrimp, peacekeeping missile, intense apathy, loners' club, and of course ...... Greater Cleveland.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut