Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Santa Clara - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

I’m throwing in the towel on guessing scores. It’s mostly pure luck anyway. I will guess at point spread however. I’m guessing we win by 29.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Zags 91 - 69
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

A 20+ point margin and posting 85 ish points is where I see this going. Should be some Bay Area Zags traveling taking the BART for this. I visited some friends a few years ago and bar-hopped down. It was a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Zags 91
    Broncos 72

Hoping to see the Rough Riders leave by half time --

Go Zags - Beat the Broncos!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Based on Reno's research, I'm nervous about this game.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...48#post1498348

Each of the three longest road winning streaks in WCC history have either started or ended with Santa Clara.....

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

GU 88
    SC 60

GU 97
    SC 62

Keep enjoying the ride! Go Zags!

Gonzaga 83
    Santa Clara 53

I was just about ready to join GrizZag and throw in the towel and not predict. BUT my mother would never let me quit anything, and out of respect for her I will try my best. This was a really, really, really hard one to predict. I tried out a whole lot of combinations before coming up with this one.

Zags have one of their worst shooting nights. But their inside strength in the posts and guards attacking the basket are just too much for Santa Clara. This attacking offense led to a lot of free throws where Gonzaga shot much better than usual. Our defense was fantastic all night and continues to get better.
    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags 87

Donks 62
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    After the Santa Clara game on the 30th, GU will be half way through their conference schedule. KenPom ranks our defense at #44. I said a few weeks ago that I expected our defense ranking to drop to the mid 20's by the end of conference play based how our national ranking has improved in past years. Today I looked back at the previous 5 years of data and learned that each year, GU has steadily increased the average number of points scored per game. In 2015 GU averaged 78.8 points per game. Five years later in the 2019 season GU averaged 87.6 points per game. In 2020 we are averaging 89 points per game. I used the years 2015 and 2019 as bookends because they were both Elite Eight years for GU. Between the Elite Eight bookends were two Sweet 16 years with the 2017 Championship game in the middle between them. Through this point in the 2020 season GU is scoring 89 points per game, or 6.4 more points per game compared to the 2017 (Championship game) season when we averaged 82.6 points per game. The difference is defense. GU was rated #1 in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency (AdjDE) in 2017 and we are rated #44 right now. That AdjDE number changes every game we play as does our national ranking in that stat depending how we did compared to the other 351 teams. GU's AdjDE number always gets smaller (better) in conference play so I expect that we will end up ranked nationally in the mid to low 20's by the end of conference play. But we are running out of games. I think we need to be ranked about #15 nationally to have a shot at the national title and I don't think we'll get there. That pessimistic prognostication is based on past national champion stats. However, exceptions do happen. And based on my eye test, GU has a better chance at the title this year than most teams and every week I get more excited about this team's chances to win it all.
    Good stuff! Thanks

Zags by 20. It's imperative we play hard defense. We need to get our KP defenisve ranking under 20.
    No injuries. The rest of the way in we're going to need all hands on deck.

Gonzaga - 85
    Santa Clara - 63

Interesting how many people say the game will not be the walk over like the earlier game, then predict a 30 point win.

Not saying it's wrong, saying it is a standard that is amazing.

SCU and their arena is a toss-up in terms of toughness, we've had shocking close games, and amazing blow-outs.

I am terrible at this:

GU 84
    SCU 62
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

GU 95, SCU 51. The Game On Prophecy continues.
    Agent provocateur

Zags 85
    Broncos 79

Tough to predict because I don't think we'll beat them by 50 this time!

Zags - 91
    Broncos - 65
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I can't predict a darn thing with the team's scoring or margin this year. So, just gonna have fun from now on.

Zags 108
    Broncs 61
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

O/U 160? That cannot be right. Without any precedent, regard for stats, logic, or empirical evidence, this is the Book's actual number? Have they been hacked by the Russians? To quote a favorite tennis icon: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! If they are, cash in your burial insurance, lay it on the under and up-grade your casket to Deluxe. Be back later with a far more reasonable aggregate.

87-67 Zags

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just like round numbers. 90-60 Zags.
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

After discounting for away vs. home, strongest Zag performance vs. mediocre, weakest SCU game vs. best, still cannot envision a competitive game.

Zags 86
    SCU 65

Go Zags!!!

A 21 point victory could be seen as a competitive game, compared to a 50 point blowout.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

ZAGS 87-65

Forty points between Timme, Tillie & Petrusev. Forty between Corey, Joel, Admon & Ryan. A trey or two from the bench. Defense, as they have been doing, holds SCU well under their average home total. Result: 85-59. Since most folks here, though, are predicting basically the same result, no way in hell it's actually going to happen.

I refrain from making predictions because these games are so unpredictable. But, none of you guys on this board should feel bad about any of the scores you put up.

The pros in Vegas are having a hard time figuring out the Zags this year.

As an example, since the start of the WCC season, the only predicted spread by Vegas that has been any where close was the LMU game. They had the Zags as 19 point favorites and they covered with a 25 point win, a spread of six. The rest of them they missed by anywhere from 10 to 30 points.

So rock on and damn the torpedo's as Tom Petty would say.