Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Santa Clara - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Santa Clara - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Return game vs the Broncos. Zags thumped them by 50 last game at home. Since then the Broncos have squeaked out a win over Pacific, dropped a tight one to Pepperdine at home and took care of USD.

What are you expecting to see? Hoping to see? Thoughts? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

95-55.

Just continue playing high-level, efficient ball. Find ways to improve consistency on defense. Most importantly, no injuries.

USF on Saturday will be a nice litmus test.

95-59 Zags
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

4 out of our next 5 games are on the road. Usually, I would harbor great trepidations, but not so considering how we've performed on the road.

For SCU and USF, the games with GU this week are their games of the year. I expect to see "Beat the Zags" t-shirts in both crowds. SCU should be particularly uber-motivated, considering the thumpings we've delivered to them our past 3 meetings.

Be the hunter, attack from the opening tip with great vengeance, that's what I'd like to see.

Zags 86
    SCU 66

us 95
    them 66

I'm guessing the sold out crowd will be more of a surprise to the home team than our team, so I think it's going to be business as usual.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

They can’t guard the Zag big men. This won’t be another fifty point blowout, but it won’t ever be in doubt.

Zags win: 92-60.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

SC will feel more comfy @ home than they did in K2. Zags less comfy. Rather than a 50 point spread I think the darn good bb playing Zags will leave SC with a 25 point margin .....
    Zags 95
    Santa Clara 70

..... as I feel the team will be more mindful of San Francisco and not shine as well on D with the Broncos as they did at home. How the rankings go for the Zags could also preoccupy the team. My $.02 anyway as I don’t feel the team will be all that excited to play a team they recently clobbered by 50. Spotting the Zags 95 could be too high but I genuinely feel the Zags are on a roll that won’t end in California.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Zags 86

Broncos 61
    Love the zags for life

Agree with most that SCU just can't handle the Timme/Tille/Petrusev combo. Also agree that they won't spank them by 50 on the road.

Zags 91
    Broncos 65
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

After the Santa Clara game on the 30th, GU will be half way through their conference schedule. KenPom ranks our defense at #44. I said a few weeks ago that I expected our defense ranking to drop to the mid 20's by the end of conference play based how our national ranking has improved in past years. Today I looked back at the previous 5 years of data and learned that each year, GU has steadily increased the average number of points scored per game. In 2015 GU averaged 78.8 points per game. Five years later in the 2019 season GU averaged 87.6 points per game. In 2020 we are averaging 89 points per game. I used the years 2015 and 2019 as bookends because they were both Elite Eight years for GU. Between the Elite Eight bookends were two Sweet 16 years with the 2017 Championship game in the middle between them. Through this point in the 2020 season GU is scoring 89 points per game, or 6.4 more points per game compared to the 2017 (Championship game) season when we averaged 82.6 points per game. The difference is defense. GU was rated #1 in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency (AdjDE) in 2017 and we are rated #44 right now. That AdjDE number changes every game we play as does our national ranking in that stat depending how we did compared to the other 351 teams. GU's AdjDE number always gets smaller (better) in conference play so I expect that we will end up ranked nationally in the mid to low 20's by the end of conference play. But we are running out of games. I think we need to be ranked about #15 nationally to have a shot at the national title and I don't think we'll get there. That pessimistic prognostication is based on past national champion stats. However, exceptions do happen. And based on my eye test, GU has a better chance at the title this year than most teams and every week I get more excited about this team's chances to win it all.

88-62 Zags

Zags 85
    Broncos 70

1. Playing on the road (and dealing with a few homer calls as well) shrinks our margin by 6 or 8 points.

2. SCU had a really big off-night against us last game. I think they will make adjustments to be more competitive and they will be motivated to show last game was an aberration.

3. SCU has not just watched us on film; they have actually played us. They now have a better understanding of how to match up with us.

90-68

Gonzaga

Dogs 82 Ponys 62

zags 88
    broncos 66

GU 86
    SCU 64
    Go Zags!

Zags 92
    Broncos 74
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Zags.... 89 - 67

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I expect to see a rocking arena with a lot of Zags fans. The Santa Clara student section brings the energy for the home team until the game gets out of reach sometime in the late first half, early second.

Zags - 90
    University of Santa Clara - 58
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

I anticipate another drubbing of the Broncos on the lines of:

ZAGS 89
    SCU 57

Hope Not to See: Any Injuries or Bill Walton
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 01-27-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Highlight prediction for LIZF !
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Go Zags ! Beat the Broncos. (Again !)
    GU - 85 SCU - 64

I expect to see a 30ish point spread about 82 - 54 .... but I'd LIKE to see a 50 point spread
    ZAGS RULE!!!

GU - 91- 67

Us 92
    Them 64