Thread: Washington Post Article: Gonzaga, reliable as ever in an unsteady season...

Post Washington Post Article: Gonzaga, reliable as ever in an unsteady season...

Gonzaga, reliable as ever in an unsteady season, should be an NCAA tournament favorite

...Enter Gonzaga, which might be the best program in the country without a national championship since its emergence as a postseason darling in 1999. Other credible candidates for that honor: Arizona, Ohio State and Wisconsin. All have played for the NCAA title in the past two decades.

The Bulldogs dropped the 2017 national title game to North Carolina. In the two following years, they have been reliably good, making the regional semifinals as a No. 4 seed in 2018 and going a game further as a No. 1 seed last season. They were 65-9 and extended the program’s streak of NCAA tournament appearances to 21.

And now, with a massive makeover after losing its top four scorers from a season ago, Mark Few’s team is in the midst of another West Coast Conference title push, aiming for another No. 1 seed — it would be its fourth since 2013 — and maybe another deep March run...

Could that trip up Gonzaga as it vies for a national title? Maybe. But the Bulldogs are as steady as anyone in a largely unsteady season. Around this time last year, it seemed worthwhile to point out that the best way for a program to experience a breakthrough is to keep knocking on the door with quality teams. It happened for Virginia last season, and no one should be stunned if Gonzaga follows in the Cavaliers’ footsteps come early April.

Washington Post Article Link

It’s a nice article using numbers and records. I was surprised they couldn’t be bothered to do any interviews -- with GU players or coaches, or opponents, or whomever -- to give it some life and character.

I read the 3 comments below the article. All 3 claim that Zags are overrated, underperform in March Madness, don't play anybody, yada-yadda, the SAME OLD SPIEL (SOS). Funny how the ones that have great respect for Gonzaga are typically head coaches of major successful basketball programs. But what do they know??
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Lazy article

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I read the 3 comments below the article. All 3 claim that Zags are overrated, underperform in March Madness, don't play anybody, yada-yadda, the SAME OLD SPIEL (SOS). Funny how the ones that have great respect for Gonzaga are typically head coaches of major successful basketball programs. But what do they know??
    Pretty easy argument to disprove.
    -GU has 21 (and counting) NCAA tournament appearances.
    -The average number of wins from ALL teams, across ALL years, with GU's identical seedings history = 30.076.
    -Winning that many games, with their 21 different tournament seeds GU has had, would be exactly average.

GU has won 34 games over their 21 tournaments, so slightly more than the average performance of all schools with the same seeding/ranking.

If someone wanted to make a more specific case and say GU underperformed as a #1 seed, well there are only 3 sample size years ('13, '17, '19) and #1 seeds average 3.35 wins, so average wins would be 10.05. GU has 9. Even in those 3 years our losses were to the national champions, the runners up (game went to OT) and a final 4 team who barely missed the championship game.

Maybe it's just because I'm currently listening to Kansas struggle, but I looked up their tournament record in the last decade ('10-'19)

Average wins for teams with Kansas' seedings the last 10 years: 28.81
    Actual Kansas Wins: 24

As a #1 seed they lost to a #9, and #11, and as a #2 seed they lost to a #10, and #7.

Only 1 of the last 10 years have they not been a #1 or #2.

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    GU - 5th most NCAA tourney wins the last 10 years. 2nd most tourney wins last 5 years (with a composite avg recruiting rank of 80th). I’d love to know some people’s definition of overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Washington Post Article on Zags

http://eugeneregisterguard.or.newsme...link=1c391eaca

- first try at cut and paste, hope this works. zags getting print in Washington d.c. newspaper.

Great read GGaw, thanks for sharing.

Keep knocking on the door..................keep sawing wood.

Go ZAGS

Enjoyable read.
    ZAGS RULE!!!