Thread: Tigers @ Zags: Head to Head

Default Tigers @ Zags: Head to Head

After a midweek bye for the Zags, the Pacific Tigers (15-7, 3-3) flee Stockton to take on the Bulldogs. After three losing seasons, Damon Stoudamire has turned his team around...somewhat. They have a winning record, but, much like Santa Clara, (NCSOS #352), Pacific elected to trade a very soft schedule for a winning record (NCSOS #346). They are 10-0 against NET Q4 teams (wow! wait...what?). Unfortunately for them, they are 3-7 against any team above Q4 (and four of those losses were against Quadrant 3 teams). Their signature win is their controversial 4OT affair with SMC. They had a losing 3OT shootout with Boise State earlier in the season as well, so it would appear that despite their weak schedule, they come to play.

source: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...ogs-2020-01-25

Pacific is sitting at KenPom #142 (offense #182, defense #129), overall three spots better than SCU. Suuuuuuuuper slow pace at #330. That's nearly Virginia slow, but surprisingly faster than LMU (what is with these teams that grind to the end of the shotclock? BOOORING!).

Anyway, the Zags win in all four categories for winning basketball (bottom four, left in the graphic above). PAC has the advantage in opponent points per game, but that's just because they play like snails, eating up as much clock as they can. I wouldn't worry about it.

Torvik predicts an 81-61 win for the former Fighting Irish (yes that was before GU were Bulldogs, look it up! We were copycats for everything, including fight songs, logos, among others).

Sorry, Tig. Prepare to get bounced back to Stockton.

Last edited by caduceus; 01-25-2020 at 02:38 AM.

A ZAG WIN WOULD ...

- Extend the nation's third-longest active win streak to 13.
    - Improve the nation's current longest home win streak to 35.
    - Extend the Bulldogs' conference regular season win streak to 34 victories.
    - Be the 17th straight win at home over a WCC opponent.
    - Be the 31st straight victory at home over an unranked foe.

Thank you, caduceus for putting these pre-game match-up threads together. One of my favorite features to review before tip-off.

Jim Meehan pre-game feature on Jahlil Tripp:

LINK: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...gers-jahlil-t/

The New York native doesn’t do much damage from distance (3 of 33 on 3-pointers), but he’s one of the better offensive rebounders in the conference and makes a habit of getting to the free-throw line. His 137 free-throw attempts are more than double the next-closest teammate.

Field Level Media Game Preview: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401175256

Senior guard Admon Gilder, who averages 11 points, has improved his level of play. Gilder averaged 16 points in last week's two games and recorded 10 of his 24 steals during the stretch.

Gilder is heavily bullish on the squad's balance that includes sophomore shooting guard Joel Ayayi (11.4 points) and senior point guard Ryan Woolridge (10.2 points, team-best 4.6 assists). The Bulldogs lead the nation with an 88.8 scoring average.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Hoping that 88.8 PPG goes up. Be sweet if it was over 90 by March. Should the Tigers slow things down I’m banking on our guys getting fast break points and a few steals. Since Pacific is pretty physical we could garner some extra points with FTs. K2 rocking will help things as well. Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Pacific is #1 in the nation at denying opponent rebounds (28.8/game), so they block out well under the basket. With Filip questionable today, that might be a concern.

Thanks Reno for the articles and the kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Hoping that 88.8 PPG goes up. Be sweet if it was over 90 by March. Should the Tigers slow things down I’m banking on our guys getting fast break points and a few steals. Since Pacific is pretty physical we could garner some extra points with FTs. K2 rocking will help things as well. Go Zags!
    You were right on all points, except for the FT business. Amazing they can still get near triple digits and miss that many FT's in the process -- particularly against a slow-down, low possession team like the Tigers. I'm in awe of this offense. Zags left a lot of points at the line.