Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kool Aid Drinkers

I hope you understand that this thread is meant to be light-hearted during a somewhat boring week as we wait for the Game Saturday. I just wanted us to have some fun and laugh a little bit. Sometime, mmmm, maybe a lot, if you knew me well you'd know I'm a pretty funny guy....hahaha

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Come on Reborn. Kool Air drinking is a metaphor. Means whoever drinks it believes strongly in the team, person who exhorts the team or the goals of the team. Not that we mean drinking poison. Metaphor metaphor. Believing in Zags and supporting that believe to the extent of drinking it is a good thing. Poster about Jonestown is correct about where the metaphor came from.

When I say I'm a fan I don't immediately think of the origin of the word fanatic. Same thing here.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Come on Reborn. Kool Air drinking is a metaphor. Means whoever drinks it believes strongly in the team, person who exhorts the team or the goals of the team. Not that we mean drinking poison. Metaphor metaphor. Believing in Zags and supporting that believe to the extent of drinking it is a good thing. Poster about Jonestown is correct about where the metaphor came from.
    you and I believe the same thing about what the term means. Check out the OP. The difference between what we think is that we differ about where the term originated. And how could a drink that kills people EVER be positive.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    There was a kool aid drink that did alter your consciousness. It was called "electric kool aid acid test. I found this term a long, long time ago when I was reading a novel about Ken Keasy and the Merry Pranksters written by Thomas Wolf. Here is a small quote about them in Wikipedia, "Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters lived communally at Kesey's homes in California and Oregon, and are noted for the sociological significance of a lengthy road trip they took in the summer of 1964, traveling across the United States in a psychedelic painted school bus called Furthur or Further, organizing parties and giving out LSD.[1"

Go Zags!!!
    Spring of 1967, I was attending Western Washington State College, and THE bus came for the Spring week...or whatever it was.

Kesey, Keruoac, Alan Ginsberg and the rest of the Pranksters were up for a week of mayhem, excitement and exposure to things different. Jefferson Airplane played the concert. The start of flower power at Western. The weather was perfect, warm and sunny so even staying out late at night, waking up in a sun drenched meadow, was not a hardship.

A memory that I cherish. That next June, I joined the Navy. The mayhem carried over too much for grades to keep me exempt from the draft and Vietnam, even in 1967, didn't seem like a place I wanted to be.
    It's not funny.

There was a kool aid drink that did alter your consciousness. It was called "electric kool aid acid test. I found this term a long, long time ago when I was reading a novel about Ken Keasy and the Merry Pranksters written by Thomas Wolf. Here is a small quote about them in Wikipedia, "Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters lived communally at Kesey's homes in California and Oregon, and are noted for the sociological significance of a lengthy road trip they took in the summer of 1964, traveling across the United States in a psychedelic painted school bus called Furthur or Further, organizing parties and giving out LSD.[1"

When the term "Kool Aid Drinker" first appeared here on GUBoards, I too believed it was the "electric kool aid" that Ken Kesey gave out to his followers. I never believed it was the Kool Aid that was drunk at Jonestown that killed people. If I had thought it was that I would have rejected the idea IMMEDIATELY. But when it was applied to me, I immediate took ownership of it because I'm the kind of guy who likes to take a negative statement and turn it into a positive one. So from that first time I was called a "Kool Aid Drinker" I embraced it and made it positive. And I believe that for all of us Kool Aid Drinkers we believe that it's a drink that gives us deeper insight into the magnificence of our Gonzag Bulldogs. And that it's a drink that gives those who drink it a different consciousness, or different reality, from those who don't drink it, namely the Debbie Downers. hahaha The definition for me is closer to the kool aid that the merry pranksters drank that that NEGATIVE drink that those at Jonestown drank Maybe the originator of that term wanted it to be the kind of kool aid drank at Jonestown....but if it was his idea was rejected by this group of "Merry Pranksters."

Go Zags!!!
    If it aint grape it aint worth talking about

I’m a Sharkleberry Fin guy.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Some pretty cool posts...creative.

What going on around here? Did the foo's perimeter fence short-out and let the inmates free?

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    What going on around here? Did the foo's perimeter fence short-out and let the inmates free?
    Calling my attention to another Kesey novel. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    Calling my attention to another Kesey novel. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Or Kerouac's 'The Dharma Bums'.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    That's what happens when there's only one game during the week. Pent up angst is released on the board.

Default Calling Out To All Kool Aid Drinkers

We've got our toughest weekend ahead of us. We go on the Road both Thurs and Sat. to play Santa Clara and San Francisco/ They will be difficult for sure. I'm just feeling called to shout out to all of you to mix up some really good Kool Aid and drink it to the last drop. We fans are going to need to bring a really positive attitude ALL WEEK. We can not let the ideas of the Debbie Downers infiltrate our positive Karma Cloud.

Go Zags!!!

We've got our toughest weekend ahead of us. We go on the Road both Thurs and Sat. to play Santa Clara and San Francisco/ They will be difficult for sure. I'm just feeling called to shout out to all of you to mix up some really good Kool Aid and drink it to the last drop. We fans are going to need to bring a really positive attitude ALL WEEK. We can not let the ideas of the Debbie Downers infiltrate our positive Karma Cloud.
    I have a very positive feeling about the SCU game. There will be no hint of Debbie Downer-ism from my neck of the woods. I love the way CBS Sports Network presents a game, so I am going to turn this into a Zag party, complete with nachos and some expensive liquor. Won't mix it with Kool-Aid though, I prefer energy drinks.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

I have always assumed the expression came from a book about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. Early in the LSD 'movement' in the mid sixties in Los Angeles somebody laced the kool-aid with LSD and a girl unwittingly drank too much. She was one of the first people to suffer a super serious medical reaction, severe nervous breakdown, and basically spent the time between then and when the book was written in a mental facility, perhaps the rest of her life. I can't remember the name of the book, but it had a photo of their bus on the cover, and it was about the Merry Pranksters from a journalist who was on the bus for months, taking notes. Darn, .... what was his name? .... A well known writer of that era.

The rule of thumb is that every phrase evolves, so nobody on this board is right or wrong depending on their threshold for that reality of evolution. Now research "rule of thumb" and that one might give you a chuckle.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I have always assumed the expression came from a book about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. Early in the LSD 'movement' in the mid sixties in Los Angeles somebody laced the kool-aid with LSD and a girl unwittingly drank too much....I can't remember the name of the book, but it had a photo of their bus on the cover, and it was about the Merry Pranksters from a journalist who was on the bus for months, taking notes. Darn, .... what was his name? .... A well known writer of that era.
    Tom Wolf was the author, the book was The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test... Tom Wolf also wrote The right Stuff and The Bonfire of the Vanities, among many others. I'm not sure about One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest.

Tom Wolf was the author, the book was The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test... Tom Wolf also wrote The right Stuff and The Bonfire of the Vanities, among many others. I'm not sure about One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest.
    The Right Stuff is a must read, if only for his description of the "Shepard's Prayer".

Thanks, I had remembered Tom something later, and you got it, that was the book.
    Also Thanks Will, I think my assumption must not be where the common use of the expression came from..