Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kool Aid Drinkers

Default Kool Aid Drinkers

I just read a post by Krozman that Mark Few is the Kool AID. I loved that idea. A lot. Krozman's post got me thinking about how much talk there has been over the years about "Kool Aid" drinking, and Kool Aid drinkers. I have been cast in that group often. Krozman's post got me interested in how many fans have been accused of "Kool Aid" drinking, and how many of you identify as a "Kool AID" drinker. I'd also like to know what that phrase means to YOU.

To me the "Kool Aid" drinkers are a group of Gonzaga fans who are so positive thinking about the Zags that some fans accuse these positive thinking people of being blinded to the "reality" that Gonzaga has negative faults that we "Kool Aid" drinkers refuse to see. So in essence we are accused of not being grounded in the "their" reality that Gonzaga is not as good as we think. It's just my take on it, and I'm really interested in yours. There's not much going on right now as we wait for the game tomorrow so maybe this thread will stimulate some discussion.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Never liked the term. It's a reference to the Jonestown massacre in 1978. It refers to a cult that had bought in to the teachings to the point when ordered to drink poison laced punch they did it without question and 900 people died.

Drinking the Kool Aid is forever linked to being so brainwashed that one can't see reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Never liked the term. It's a reference to the Jonestown massacre in 1978. It refers to a cult that had bought in to the teachings to the point when ordered to drink poison laced punch they did it without question and 900 people died.

Drinking the Kool Aid is forever linked to being so brainwashed that one can't see reality.
    Wow! Thanks for the explanation. That is so creepy, that a Gonzaga fan would accuse his fellow Gonzaga fan of drinking something as creepy as that. That's really creepy. I think you've changed my mind about the whole thing. AND then to say that Mark Few is the Kool AID, now seems so disrespectful.

Go Zags!!!

Drinking the kool aid since 1994!

Go Zags - RunTheTable

I wish I could remember exactly when I first was accused of drinking "Kool Aid." I know it was after I joined the old site on Scout. AND as I think about it it may have even been after I joined this one after the other "burned down." I'm not sure when this site GUBoards was founded. Can someone help me remember this? Maybe I can find the date in CDC"s thread about BobZag.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I wish I could remember exactly when I first was accused of drinking "Kool Aid." I know it was after I joined the old site on Scout. AND as I think about it it may have even been after I joined this one after the other "burned down." I'm not sure when this site GUBoards was founded. Can someone help me remember this? Maybe I can find the date in CDC"s thread about BobZag.
    Hey Reborn, if I remember correctly, you changed your handle when you converted over to the new board. What was your old handle name at the Scout site?

Looking at join dates for CDC84, GoZags, woohoo, Reno, Bowser, Angelo and LIZF they are all Feb 2007.

That is my best guess for the inception date.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Hey Reborn, if I remember correctly, you changed your handle when you converted over to the new board. What was your old handle name at the Scout site?
    You're right. However, I can't remember my old name. It's been so long. I was looking at when this new site began, and found out it was in January of '07. I looked up my start date on this site and it said 10/30/07. I don't believe that there was a 10 month period of time that I wasn't on one of the sites. So my guess is that I changed my name some time between 1/'07 and 10/'07. Maybe LIZF or RENO ZAG can remember my old name. I was cast into exile from this site sometime after 1/07. I think it was a couple of months before I was accepted back into this community, and at that time I changed my name, hoping fans here would forget who I was. hahahah hahaha pretty funny hugh?

Go Zags!!!

The oldest threads in the MBB date to Feb 2007, the week Josh H and Theo made their infamous excursion to Cheney. . .if you click to the last page of the MBB (Page 1546), that was the hot topic.

IIRC: There may have been some threads erased (in all of the forums) due to server issues ( rebuilds, transfers, etc ) over the years. LIZF or one of the admins might know about that.

The earliest "Join Date" was BobZag's: 1.30.2007. CDC, Angelo, LIZF, GoZags and several others have join dates of 2/2/2007.

Wasn't "Rebornzagfan" your old username, Reborn ?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    The oldest threads in the MBB date to Feb 2007, the week Josh H and Theo made their infamous excursion to Cheney. . .if you click to the last page of the MBB (Page 1546), that was the hot topic.

The earliest "Join Date" was BobZag's: 1.30.2007. CDC, Angelo, LIZF, GoZags and several others have join dates of 2/2/2007.

Wasn't "Rebornzagfan" your old username, Reborn ?
    Thanks, RenoZag. You have a great memory. I thought you might.

As far as the OP: "Kool Aid Drinker" is a pejorative term, especially when directed at someone you disagree with.

See this Wiki entry for the details of usage, origination, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Jonestown happened Fall semester of my senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    As far as the OP: "Kool Aid Drinker" is a pejorative term, especially when directed at someone you disagree with.

See this Wiki entry for the details of usage, origination, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Jonestown happened Fall semester of my senior year.
    Thanks for the link. I found it very interesting. Here is a quote from that link (Wikapedia).
    "Drinking the Kool-Aid" is an expression used to refer to a person who believes in a possibly doomed or dangerous idea because of perceived potential high rewards. The phrase often carries a negative connotation. It can also be used ironically or humorously to refer to accepting an idea or changing a preference due to popularity, peer pressure, or persuasion. In recent years it has evolved further to mean extreme dedication to a cause or purpose, so extreme that one would "Drink the Kool-Aid" and die for the cause."

I first noticed the word "doomed" in it. hahaha And that word doomed immediately made me think of BobZag because he used that word ALL THE TIME before games. He would always say, "we're doomed." This makes me wonder if he was one of the first people to "drink the idea of Kool AID.?" HAHAHAH joking kind of. By readying the article I've learned that "drinking the Kool aid" is certainly a very, very popular phrase.

Go Zags!!!

You're right. However, I can't remember my old name. It's been so long. I was looking at when this new site began, and found out it was in January of '07. I looked up my start date on this site and it said 10/30/07. I don't believe that there was a 10 month period of time that I wasn't on one of the sites. So my guess is that I changed my name some time between 1/'07 and 10/'07. Maybe LIZF or RENO ZAG can remember my old name. I was cast into exile from this site sometime after 1/07. I think it was a couple of months before I was accepted back into this community, and at that time I changed my name, hoping fans here would forget who I was. hahahah hahaha pretty funny hugh?

Go Zags!!!
    I was thinking your previous handle name was something completely different, then you changed it to Reborn, because you were starting fresh, Reborn, on the new format. But I can't remember the name either...

Hmm, reminds me of something similar
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

I became a certified Kool Aid drinker in the summer of '17. That's when we spent a week in Spokane, my first time on campus in 16 years. We have so many great memories from that trip, which I won't rehash. The main thing is that the players were so friendly and accessible, it meant a lot to this old man.

Our Zags aren't angels, and have their own flaws to deal with. They're one of the most entertaining teams in college basketball, and they represent my alma mater well on and off the court. Besides, there are plenty of folks who make it their mission to point out the mistakes they make, I don't need to join the cacophony.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post
    Drinking the kool aid since 1994!

Go Zags - RunTheTable
    Gulp, gulp Me too!

To me it’s just being a die hard Zag fan. I never predict the Zags to lose and always have them winning the Dance in my bracket. My game prediction scores are also pretty rosy (win margins fairly broad). GU’s program is easy to be supportive of

I've been a Zags fan for 21 years, and I still don't drink the Kool-Aid (I prefer RockStar energy drinks). If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. In the end, basketball is just a game.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Gulp, gulp Me too!

To me it’s just being a die hard Zag fan. I never predict the Zags to lose and always have them winning the Dance in my bracket. My game prediction scores are also pretty rosy (win margins fairly broad). GU’s program is easy to be supportive of
    I haven't filled out an NCAA bracket in probably 10 years, I vote with my heart too much.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I haven't filled out an NCAA bracket in probably 10 years, I vote with my heart too much.
    Go for it! The heart eventually wins out
    Optimism rocks! I fully believe it is the deciding factor of human survival on the face of this planet. All else is potatoes. Optimism is the gravy

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Go for it! The heart eventually wins out
    Optimism rocks! I fully believe it is the deciding factor of human survival on the face of this planet. All else is potatoes. Optimism is the gravy
    Wow! I love it. What an amazing statement. Is it original? Or are they the words of another?

Wow! I love it. What an amazing statement. Is it original? Or are they the words of another?
    If they are words of another I somewhat heartedly apologize to the firster
    Brains work best when planning something good. Optimism gives that endeavor a boost.

I think the analogy that I was going for was that Mark Few was the cool aid, and that players are the sugar. I drink the cool aid every year because any team coached by Mark Few is going to have me hyped up, and the performance of the team determines how "sweet" it is. It's not a perfect analogy.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I think the analogy that I was going for was that Mark Few was the cool aid, and that players are the sugar. I drink the cool aid every year because any team coached by Mark Few is going to have me hyped up, and the performance of the team determines how "sweet" it is. It's not a perfect analogy.
    Not perfect? But darn good. Come on!

Go Zags!!!

I didn't know that. I always (since the 60's) thought it referred to psychedelic experimentation. In both cases, though, the end result is an altered state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by packlite View Post
    I didn't know that. I always (since the 60's) thought it referred to psychedelic experimentation. In both cases, though, the end result is an altered state of mind.
    There was a kool aid drink that did alter your consciousness. It was called "electric kool aid acid test. I found this term a long, long time ago when I was reading a novel about Ken Keasy and the Merry Pranksters written by Thomas Wolf. Here is a small quote about them in Wikipedia, "Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters lived communally at Kesey's homes in California and Oregon, and are noted for the sociological significance of a lengthy road trip they took in the summer of 1964, traveling across the United States in a psychedelic painted school bus called Furthur or Further, organizing parties and giving out LSD.[1"

When the term "Kool Aid Drinker" first appeared here on GUBoards, I too believed it was the "electric kool aid" that Ken Kesey gave out to his followers. I never believed it was the Kool Aid that was drunk at Jonestown that killed people. If I had thought it was that I would have rejected the idea IMMEDIATELY. But when it was applied to me, I immediate took ownership of it because I'm the kind of guy who likes to take a negative statement and turn it into a positive one. So from that first time I was called a "Kool Aid Drinker" I embraced it and made it positive. And I believe that for all of us Kool Aid Drinkers we believe that it's a drink that gives us deeper insight into the magnificence of our Gonzag Bulldogs. And that it's a drink that gives those who drink it a different consciousness, or different reality, from those who don't drink it, namely the Debbie Downers. hahaha The definition for me is closer to the kool aid that the merry pranksters drank that that NEGATIVE drink that those at Jonestown drank Maybe the originator of that term wanted it to be the kind of kool aid drank at Jonestown....but if it was his idea was rejected by this group of "Merry Pranksters."

Go Zags!!!