Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 70 of 70

Thread: Jalen Suggs McDonalds All American

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,228

    Default

    And the Suggs family isn't exactly poor. Most of these kids who play overseas instead of choosing the college route either have academic problems, NCAA problems, or their families are totally desperate.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It is actually a friend of his that is pushing for him to go pro. And if you do some research, that guy is playing in Australia right now. Jalen's mother LOVES Gonzaga, and not just as a favorite school. She wants him to be a Zag. A lot of these "surrounding" people in Minnesota are just jealous and invent crap because they cannot keep so many of their big time players in state. One of them even suggested that Few paid Suggs to commit to GU. As if GU is going to engage in that sort of behavior when their athletics program finishes 1 or 2 in the APR rankings every year.

    Not saying he won't go pro, but the offer is going to have to be unreal. But like others, I think he has more to gain by playing US college basketball than by collecting a small paycheck. I'd say the same thing is he had verbaled to Minnesota. It's not just about playing about Julian and Dom - it is about being on a top 3 team and national title contender. No way Zion earns a 100 mil shoe deal if he's just a name on a recruiting chart. When Zion was hurt, the ESPN scroller at the bottom of the screen referred to him as just "Zion". Not Zion Williamson. That only occurs when someone becomes a household name due to massive American TV and media exposure, plus the NCAA tourney. Some would say unfair American TV and media exposure......but college basketball makes these guys into known entities to NBA fans.
    I hope everyone reads this, takes a deep breath and relaxes a little. Jalen Suggs verbally committed on ESPN, but he also verbally committed on his most recent official visit. Few is in the loop, he is not freaking out like everyone on this board. Jalen's mom LOVED Gonzaga and CDC is right on about his mom. If you remember I always said Suggs would be a Zag before Strawther and that is due to his mom's love for GU when the family visited. Could Suggs go pro, yep he could, will he go pro? I am confident he will be a Zag.

    If you want to look at the Jalen effect on GU, look at since (and when) he visited, we have now had 3 Top 5 players visit GU, have Bittle visiting a Top 15 guy, Sallis a top 40 guy. GU did not get these types of visit before Jalen Suggs' interest in GU. We are at a new level in recruiting and we may lose a guy or two overseas, but overall we will land more of these recruits than we lose. Everyone relax a little and remember it's Friday!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I hope everyone reads this, takes a deep breath and relaxes a little. Jalen Suggs verbally committed on ESPN, but he also verbally committed on his most recent official visit. Few is in the loop, he is not freaking out like everyone on this board. Jalen's mom LOVED Gonzaga and CDC is right on about his mom. If you remember I always said Suggs would be a Zag before Strawther and that is due to his mom's love for GU when the family visited. Could Suggs go pro, yep he could, will he go pro? I am confident he will be a Zag.

    If you want to look at the Jalen effect on GU, look at since (and when) he visited, we have now had 3 Top 5 players visit GU, have Bittle visiting a Top 15 guy, Sallis a top 40 guy. GU did not get these types of visit before Jalen Suggs' interest in GU. We are at a new level in recruiting and we may lose a guy or two overseas, but overall we will land more of these recruits than we lose. Everyone relax a little and remember it's Friday!
    Caldwell, you seem like such an upbeat, enthusiastic, but realistic and levelheaded guy. I think if Suggs decommits and goes overseas for a few months instead of playing with his friends at GU, I will feel bad for you as much as anyone else. Seriously hoping you are right on this one, and always appreciate your perspective.

    When do current guys who plan on leaving the program after the season typically end up telling the staff? Do they have a conversation, or is it just kind of assumed? (IE BC and Rui last year).

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Caldwell, you seem like such an upbeat, enthusiastic, but realistic and levelheaded guy. I think if Suggs decommits and goes overseas for a few months instead of playing with his friends at GU, I will feel bad for you as much as anyone else. Seriously hoping you are right on this one, and always appreciate your perspective.

    When do current guys who plan on leaving the program after the season typically end up telling the staff? Do they have a conversation, or is it just kind of assumed? (IE BC and Rui last year).
    Thanks man, but if he does go overseas I will get blasted on this site and I am okay with it. I have been right more than I have been wrong, but some still will go off on me. I leak information to you guys that I get from the program and my connections, some times they are right, sometimes they are wrong, and sometimes things change.

    When they tell, just depends, everyone knew Rui was going from the time he said he would come back for one more year. BC blew up and staff new about this time last year he was going. Few is very open and very honest with his players, and they give him the same respect back.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,449

    Default

    The amount of drama involved with some members of this board panicking is incredible.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Big fan of Suggs, yet he's so going pro. At least according to his family.

    I have remained hopeful yet talking with fellow parents of kids on Minnehaha Academy, teammates of Jalen, it doesnt sound good.

    From Jalen's point of view, it seems great, he speaks fondly of playing for Gonzaga, alongside his friends, Julian and Dom. All seems on track.

    Then, it comes to his parents. The people closest to them. They make it sound as if Gonzaga is their son's favorite team and nothing more. Not "if" but "when" they find the right fit/offer in NBL or ABL.

    Clearly two very different tunes from Jalen himself to the parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Jalen is all-in on Gonzaga, until he isnt.

    He has been transparent and forthright with his interest in seeking oversea opportunities.

    As it stands, he hasn't signed with any team, except committing to Gonzaga.

    That is Jalen's intention, is to play at Gonzaga. He is a Zag.

    He is allowing, or should I say supporting his parents looking into professional opportunities for him.

    I believe the post above is referring to Jalen planning to attend Gonzaga, while his parents are busy negotiating contracts.

    Jalen committed to us and will likely be a Zag, yet according to many in MN, his parents are looking into potential negotiations.

    As the post above mentioned, along with Caldwell, it would have to be a substantial offer.

    RJ Hampton earns $100k, while Lamelo Ball is paid $75K/year. Obviously locally incentives and endorsements increase this earning potential, yet likely around $400-500K range.

    Suggs family seeking the six-figure range.
    is this a mr. robot thing?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    is this a mr. robot thing?
    Same guy. Same word patterns.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Thanks man, but if he does go overseas I will get blasted on this site and I am okay with it. I have been right more than I have been wrong, but some still will go off on me. I leak information to you guys that I get from the program and my connections, some times they are right, sometimes they are wrong, and sometimes things change.

    When they tell, just depends, everyone knew Rui was going from the time he said he would come back for one more year. BC blew up and staff new about this time last year he was going. Few is very open and very honest with his players, and they give him the same respect back.
    You’re OK, Caldy. This doesn’t come down on you, if indeed it occurs.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Same guy. Same word patterns.
    You’ve got to hedge your bets.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    The amount of drama involved with some members of this board panicking is incredible.
    When I need drama, there's always Pluto TV on my Amazon Fire Stick. Our drama is not in the same zip code as to what the Tar Heels are enduring.

    The highs and lows we endure every year is like a roller coaster, this year in particular. We've gone from a "rebuilding year" to being #1 in the country for the last 4 weeks. The expectation for next year is off the charts, though we won't know the 2020-2021 roster until Labor Day.

    Ten conference games to go until Vegas. I'll be nervous before every road game the rest of the way.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Thanks man, but if he does go overseas I will get blasted on this site and I am okay with it. I have been right more than I have been wrong, but some still will go off on me. I leak information to you guys that I get from the program and my connections, some times they are right, sometimes they are wrong, and sometimes things change.

    When they tell, just depends, everyone knew Rui was going from the time he said he would come back for one more year. BC blew up and staff new about this time last year he was going. Few is very open and very honest with his players, and they give him the same respect back.
    From what I heard, Rui was always considered to be on a 3 year plan. For the foreseeable future, I expect most of our elite players to be on 2-3 year plans, with an occasional one and done.

    Why anyone would "blast" you is simply beyond my comprehension.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    From what I heard, Rui was always considered to be on a 3 year plan. For the foreseeable future, I expect most of our elite players to be on 2-3 year plans, with an occasional one and done.

    Why anyone would "blast" you is simply beyond my comprehension.
    There is a lot that happens that are beyond comprehension here.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    There is a lot that happens that are beyond comprehension here.
    True dat.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    From what I heard, Rui was always considered to be on a 3 year plan. For the foreseeable future, I expect most of our elite players to be on 2-3 year plans, with an occasional one and done.

    Why anyone would "blast" you is simply beyond my comprehension.
    This! I have said this before and I know it for a fact. What caldwell posts on this board about recruits is always accurate at the time of his post. Period. He has direct sources as do I. Our information almost always lines up. So, unless someone has a direct heart to heart with Jalen Suggs directly, i’ll Always defer to what Caldwell (and I) hear from our sources. If we are wrong, then something changed which happens in recruiting. So be it.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Hedge your bets?

    Mr Robot?

    They are saying the EXACT same thing.

    Guys, I am well connected to local basketball scene in MN. My closest friends and/or colleagues are AAU or Club coaches from 6th grade to Seniors. I do not know Jalens parents but I do know parents of Jalen's teammates.

    Have attended 4 of Jalen's games this year alone.

    I report EXACTLY what I hear.

    Seriously, take it or leave it, or maybe better off not sharing anything. I'm thinking the latter these days. Sheesh.
    i only found it interesting that you posted the views separately with such different tones on the same thread. i appreciate any information, and choices of tone/usernames/etc don't matter much to me-- but it felt like you were trying to play both sides at the same time. figured i'd call it out rather than just wait for it to escalate between those who preferred one of your takes over the other.

    this entire subject seems stupidly contentious to me, and i felt that pointing out that those two posts had a common author might reduce some of the talking past each other that happens when people polarize on something they care about. sorry if that bothers you, but it honestly wasn't intended as any sort of attack or attempt to silence.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i only found it interesting that you posted the views separately with such different tones on the same thread. i appreciate any information, and choices of tone/usernames/etc don't matter much to me-- but it felt like you were trying to play both sides at the same time. figured i'd call it out rather than just wait for it to escalate between those who preferred one of your takes over the other.

    this entire subject seems stupidly contentious to me, and i felt that pointing out that those two posts had a common author might reduce some of the talking past each other that happens when people polarize on something they care about. sorry if that bothers you, but it honestly wasn't intended as any sort of attack or attempt to silence.
    Great response, IMO.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Same guy. Same word patterns.
    Now I’m starting to wonder if I’ve been someone else this whole time.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    There is a lot that happens that are beyond comprehension here.
    Tru dat. Is it more normal over in the Foo? I feel like I’ve been reading Lewis Carroll fan fiction for the last few days.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    130

    Default

    A few people have fallen down the Rabbit Hole.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Thank you so much Caldwell and CDC. No guarantees of course, but I’ll go with what you’re telling us.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •